Page 2369 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13691869226923192359236723682369237023712379241924692869 ... LastLast
Results 59,201 to 59,225 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    You're not that good. I can think of 25 posters that are better than you!

[
    ]
    I'm #26th....
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Name them all.
    Don't feel like it. I have things to do. Here's three.

The Young Girls of Rochefort
    A Hard Day's Night
    Gold Diggers of 1933
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Poto and Cabengo: A study of identical twin children who speak their own made-up private language, living largely cut off from the rest of society except for the (somewhat cruel) media scrutiny they're subject to; nonetheless, the text "What are they saying?" scrolling across the screen in English is the only thing that registers as aberrant.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Poto and Cabengo: A study of identical twin children who speak their own made-up private language, living largely cut off from the rest of society except for the (somewhat cruel) media scrutiny they're subject to; nonetheless, the text "What are they saying?" scrolling across the screen in English is the only thing that registers as aberrant.
    That sounds amazing.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

If you happen to live near Vancouver, the Pacific Cinémathèque is screening a brand new 35mm print of Four Nights of a Dreamer right now. That film is not available to anyone in any decent shape. If you consider yourself a film fan and don't see it, I'm revoking your cinephile card, shredding it and pissing on the remnants.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    If you happen to live near Vancouver, the Pacific Cinémathèque is screening a brand new 35mm print of Four Nights of a Dreamer right now. That film is not available to anyone in any decent shape. If you consider yourself a film fan and don't see it, I'm revoking your cinephile card, shredding it and pissing on the remnants.
    Considering it's a minor Bresson (though quite interesting in that it's by far his most light-hearted, comical film) and MC is a haven for Bresson haters, I'd almost prefer no one here sees it.

Complete Bresson retrospective hitting LA next month! Assuming we get everything that showed in NYC, it'll be everything but A Gentle Woman. Fuck. yeah.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Hey, I was busy. I have an exam due tomorrow (so I'm spending time on here). I do plan to see The Devil, Probably and maybe L'Argent which are showing in the next two weeks [this is not Vancouver].

MC is a haven for Bresson haters, I'd almost prefer no one here sees it.
    It is? Boo.

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover is equal parts magnificent and bleak, comedic and disturbing, a film that is a journey into the depths of hell (literally in this case, as the restaurant setting is bathed completely in red). Plus that ending: [
    ]

This is the second 1989 film I've seen this year, and I only realized it now. Peter Greenaway clearly has a strong visual style and a clear eye for composition, but unfortunately only a few of his movies are available on Netflix Instant Viewing.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Hey, I was busy. I have an exam due tomorrow (so I'm spending time on here). I do plan to see The Devil, Probably and maybe L'Argent which are showing in the next two weeks [this is not Vancouver].
    Oooh yeah, L'Argent will look amazing. As much as Balthazar is unsurpassable as my favorite his, as it's my favorite period, L'Argent stands the best chance of doing eventually. Seen it at least a ten times and it literally gets better every time.

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    It is? Boo.
    Yeah, I prefer not to think about it.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover is equal parts magnificent and bleak, comedic and disturbing, a film that is a journey into the depths of hell (literally in this case, as the restaurant setting is bathed completely in red). Plus that ending: [
    ]

This is the second 1989 film I've seen this year, and I only realized it now. Peter Greenaway clearly has a strong visual style and a clear eye for composition, but unfortunately only a few of his movies are available on Netflix Instant Viewing.
    Do you give it a 96?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Oooh yeah, L'Argent will look amazing. As much as Balthazar is unsurpassable as my favorite his, as it's my favorite period, L'Argent stands the best chance of doing eventually. Seen it at least a ten times and it literally gets better every time.

Yeah, I prefer not to think about it.
    You should probably spend less time rewatching L'argent and more time watching Aleksei German's filmography.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Oh yeah, that Ivan Lapshin guy...

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Do you give it a 96?
    Too low.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I've seen Glenn Kenny reference the Khrustalyov movie like 80 times in his twitter feed, I'll probably watch that next...

You should probably spend less time rewatching L'argent and more time watching Aleksei German's filmography.
    Well, I only watched it that many times since my thesis focused on his last 3 films. I have Khrustalyov, My Car which I'll watch soon and I'll probably eventually see everything available since he made so few films. Speaking of Russians, have you seen any of Evgeni Bauer's work. Dude has been very impressive for pre-20s cinema and one can only imagine what he not died so young.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Too low.
    Well, that is only ***1/2! This'll probably get 100 since he's only given out like 5 of those so far this year.

I had a long rant in response to the previous posts, but I'm just going to ignore the lot of you and wait for someone who feels like discussing The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover with me. If no one will, then I'll just pen a write up for it eventually to put in my blog. You can read it there if you like.

PS: I had no idea that giving out five 100s out of 42 movies on the year was so goddamn many. Whoa! Stop the presses. Hold the phones. Tell me once again I misspelled a word wrong, or something.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I was serious. It's one of my very favorite movies. The use of light and color is extraordinary. It's hard to call it beautiful because it's about so much ugliness, but it is masterful. I miss that Greenaway.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Well, I only watched it that many times since my thesis focused on his last 3 films. I have Khrustalyov, My Car which I'll watch soon and I'll probably eventually see everything available since he made so few films. Speaking of Russians, have you seen any of Evgeni Bauer's work. Dude has been very impressive for pre-20s cinema and one can only imagine what he not died so young.
    Ahh, that makes sense then. I haven't seen any of Bauer's films. What's his best?
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I was serious. It's one of my very favorite movies. The use of light and color is extraordinary. It's hard to call it beautiful because it's about so much ugliness, but it is masterful. I miss that Greenaway.
    Okay, I'm just a little annoyed that people take my ratings seriously. Its the fucking 100 scale, people-you slap on a goddamn number that's really quite meaningless, unless you are Qrazy and decide to give everything a C-. I actually started using it because of Stay Puft.

Looking on Criticker I see that Greenaway makes only documentaries now, it seems. I haven't seen a film use color so masterfully in quite a while-its incredibly well shot. The 1980s seemed to be that special time and place where British gangster movies truly very good and great: The Long Good Friday and The Hit also come to mind, although I'm not sure if you can really label The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover her a gangster movie per say. Ebert's review was rather spoiler filled yet great (I'm glad I read it after I saw the film), and I agree with him about the MPAA's decision affecting the movie. I miss that kind of Ebert-I think he hasn't bashed the MPAA in a while because he's given up hope that they fix a rather broken system.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I had a long rant in response to the previous posts, but I'm just going to ignore the lot of you and wait for someone who feels like discussing The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover with me. If no one will, then I'll just pen a write up for it eventually to put in my blog. You can read it there if you like.

PS: I had no idea that giving out five 100s out of 42 movies on the year was so goddamn many. Whoa! Stop the presses. Hold the phones. Tell me once again I misspelled a word wrong, or something.
    Don't take us seriously, we're just teasing. But if you're finding the teasing omnipresent I suppose I can ease off... It will be fucking hard. But I'll try. :lol:

I simultaneously like and dislike most Greenaway films. The Cook is one of the ones I like more than I dislike. Formally immaculate, great score, but I find his films too symbol driven for my taste. Still, I quite like it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

He's not dead...
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Don't take us seriously, we're just teasing. But if you're finding the teasing omnipresent I suppose I can ease off... It will be fucking hard. But I'll try. :lol:
    Every goddamn time though...it really gets fucking old. I don't try to bust anyone's balls around here, nor do I feel the need to do so.

I simultaneously like and dislike most Greenaway films. The Cook is one of the ones I like more than I dislike. Formally immaculate, great score, but I find his films too symbol driven for my taste. Still, I quite like it.
    Really to be honest I was too preoccupied with the amazing color schemes, the great camera work and the fantastic score to truly examine the film's themes. I guess I didn't know as much about Thatcher as I thought I did, seeing as the film is supposed to be about Thatcher England. I actually prefer to think of it as being more broader than that, although I'll firmly make a decision on a second viewing in the future.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Oh c'mon.

Agree with Spinal that I wouldn't really call this beautiful, but it's a hell of a fierce films and probably the most impressive condemnation of Thatcher's England I've seen. Check out A Zed and Two Naughts if you haven't already.

Quote Quoting MadMan
    PS: I had no idea that giving out five 100s out of 42 movies on the year was so goddamn many. Whoa! Stop the presses. Hold the phones.
    Yes, it is. 12% of your movies are in the top 1% of your scale. OCCUPY MADMAN! The 40s, 50s and 60s have to eat!

Quote Quoting MadMan
    Tell me once again I misspelled a word wrong, or something.
    Well, if you misspell a word wrong, that means you spelled it correctly, so no one will tell you when that happens.

[
    ]