Page 2338 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13381838223822882328233623372338233923402348238824382838 ... LastLast
Results 58,426 to 58,450 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Our very own Beau was selected for the Berlinale Talent Campus to report on the festival.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Whoa, great work Beau.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Up was just okay.

It kinda hurt me to type that, actually. I only just got around to watching it, and I had fairly high hopes.

EDIT: Up is 98% on RT!? That's mildly baffling.
    If you want to be successful, just tell people what they want to hear. And the Pixar guys are masters at making ingratiating kids' movies that comfort and reassure (consider the happy ending of Wall-E, in which even apocalypse turns out to be not permanent). So naturally mainstream reviewers talk about their work as if it were the height of cinema as an art form. I didn't dislike Up or any of the other Pixar films that I've seen (Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Wall-E), but if I never saw another one of their films, I wouldn't feel very deprived.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Something Qrazy might be interested in: my review of Szulkin's Golem. Everyone else should give it a look, too, of course!:P
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Random 2011 movies I saw over the last several months:

The Descendants -- I liked this more than Sideways, but not as much as Election. Didn't like how the exposition was handled. It truly just felt like a lazy info dump. But the film's smaller moments were well-handled and affecting. Wasn't blown away, but it's a notch above most of its contemporaries in the BP race.

Young Adult -- Not a complete success, but I enjoyed it and wish there were more films like it.

The Artist -- It was cute. I guess I can give them points for making something commercial and accessible, but if this was released in the silent era, would it really stack up to the truly great films? I suspect not.

Beginners -- Good film. Deserves a bigger audience. Where the Laurent fanboys at?

Warrior -- Surprisingly effective. Not quite a revelation, but it's well-executed and I'd probably give an Oscar to Nick Nolte for his performance.

Sarah's Key -- It's kind of interesting until it gets really dumb. And then it gets even dumber. Avoid.

Take Shelter -- Sorry, not sold on this one. There are a couple very strong scenes at the end that almost sell me on the film, but then denouement comes and contradicts what I found powerful about them. And seriously, purposefully ambiguous endings of this nature are turning into such an indie-cliche.

Edit: I guess a good number of you have seen Beginners (and enjoyed it). Don't recall spotting much discussion of it anywhere.

What did you think the ending of Take Shelter contradicted? I think a lot of people are taking the ending a bit too literally. [
    ]
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Also, like I said in The Artist thread, I don't think the director's intentions is too make it a carbon copy of silent classics. There are clear modern aesthetics employed throughout the film (including obviously the injection of sound). It's more a tribute than a copy.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    What did you think the ending of Take Shelter contradicted? I think a lot of people are taking the ending a bit too literally. [
    ]
    Well, that's not my reading of the ending, which is why I think there's a contradiction. Of course, your reading is plausible, but...

[
    ]

Also, like I said in The Artist thread, I don't think the director's intentions is too make it a carbon copy of silent classics. There are clear modern aesthetics employed throughout the film (including obviously the injection of sound). It's more a tribute than a copy.
    Well, as a tribute, I found it cute and still find it lesser in ambition and quality to many silent era classics and other great films of various eras. Looking at it as a tribute does little to broaden my esteem for it.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Well, that's not my reading of the ending, which is why I think there's a contradiction. Of course, your reading is plausible, but...

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Something Qrazy might be interested in: my review of Szulkin's Golem. Everyone else should give it a look, too, of course!:P
    Watched this a couple weeks ago, and honestly it did little for me. Same can be said about his The War of the World the following year, which was a film I had watched because of Qrazy actually. Both films came off as too cold for my liking, but I do see enough in both for me to continue to check out some more of his work.

Good review though!

Yep. Been saying that it's basically someone else doing what Tarantino does for his movies.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    And seriously, purposefully ambiguous endings of this nature are turning into such an indie-cliche.
    Agreed. Although I also suspect it's filmmakers simply not knowing how to end their movies also.

I'll check out Beginners, haven't heard a bad thing about that one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Comfort of Strangers - Strange film, splendidly written and acted. People expecting a regular thriller that explains itself to the audience at the end will hate it. People who prefer cryptic monologues delivered by Christopher Walken with a fixed, evil stare will like it. I'm in the second group, in case it wasn't clear. I'm glad I watched this after visiting Venice myself. The weirdness of the plot is much more believable in the context of a city like that.

The Wave - Eh. I'd heard nothing but good things about this film for a very long time, and it was definitively disappointing. The premise is so good and yet the writing is so artificial and predictable. No effort is made to establish the characters before the experiment takes place and so when they start reacting exactly the way their stereotypes would suggest the film was over for me. I might have overrated it in Criticker (I gave it a 69) because it's technically very well made, but I wish I had simply rewatched The Experiment, a far better film about a similar subject.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Watched this a couple weeks ago, and honestly it did little for me. Same can be said about his The War of the World the following year, which was a film I had watched because of Qrazy actually. Both films came off as too cold for my liking, but I do see enough in both for me to continue to check out some more of his work.

Good review though!
    Thanks. I wasn't blown away at first, but it all escalated so wonderfully. There are so many really memorable sequences.
    Last 5 Viewed

I must one of the few people on here that took the ending of Take Shelter literally, but was perfectly happy with it. I think the film always hinted at a supernatural explanation, not just one of psychosis. I viewed it like an adaptation of a really good Stephen King story, executed masterfully well.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I just watched a wonderful Czech kid's film called Kooky (2010). Step aside Toy Story, here's a grown up story about lost toys. Kooky is a teddy bear thrown out before his time who is searching for a route home.

[youtube]MBQbkbnj780[/youtube]

So only the trailer is in English, the dialogue in the film itself is Czech. It's a beautifully shot wonderfully fantastic tale filtered transparently (in it's favor) through the mind of a child. The film combines puppeteering, stop motion animation and live action to create it's world. This is a world which incorporates living toys, forest Gods and real animals to create a unique universe inside a magical forest locale. There are many quiet character moments along with plenty of chase and action set pieces. Kooky ranks up there with the best of Jim Henson, Terry Gilliam and other early 80s fantasy adventure makers.

My only major criticism is the end of the film is a little too neat and immediate, but this film is primarily about it's brilliant environment and it delivers that in spades.

The film is available on karagarga.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

re Take Shelter's ending: [
    ]

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yep. Been saying that it's basically someone else doing what Tarantino does for his movies.
    I fail to see how either of that is a bad thing.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Good review though!
    I didn't tell you to watch that though. I actually watched the first 20 minutes and shut it off because it didn't seem that great, not terrible but just didn't have the patience for it at the time.

But his Ga, Ga, Glory to the Heroes and O-bi, O-ba, The End of Civilization are both quite good.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I was actually quite impressed by how authentic The Artist was as a silent film. Apart from the sound sequences (and the fact that the picture was very crisp and clear), there were few instances where it seemed to me that the framing, cinematography or editing were very different from the way films were typically made around 1927.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I didn't tell you to watch that though. I actually watched the first 20 minutes and shut it off because it didn't seem that great, not terrible but just didn't have the patience for it at the time.

But his Ga, Ga, Glory to the Heroes and O-bi, O-ba, The End of Civilization are both quite good.
    No I know you didn't tell me to watch that one, but you were the one who put the name Szulkin in my head. That's just where I went with your info. Those two would be my the ones I'd go for next, so I'll see.

No I know you didn't tell me to watch that one, but you were the one who put the name Szulkin in my head. That's just where I went with your info. Those two would be my the ones I'd go for next, so I'll see.
    Next time go exactly where I tell you with my info to avoid disappointment! :lol:

If you want a break from Szulkin check out Lopushansky (for more Eastern European sci fi)... either Visitor of a Museum or Letters from a Dead Man. I've also seen Ugly Swans and it was okay but not nearly as good.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I fail to see how either of that is a bad thing.
    Didn't say it was.

And Issac is correct. It also borrows cinematography tricks used in many of the black and white movies that came out after the silent era. Citizen Kane's marks are certainly there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Next time go exactly where I tell you with my info to avoid disappointment! :lol:

If you want a break from Szulkin check out Lopushansky (for more Eastern European sci fi)... either Visitor of a Museum or Letters from a Dead Man. I've also seen Ugly Swans and it was okay but not nearly as good.
    Perfect! Ugly Swans it is!