Page 2315 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13151815221522652305231323142315231623172325236524152815 ... LastLast
Results 57,851 to 57,875 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I used to really enjoy sharing movies I liked and had meaning to me with friends and family. Then I made a few too many people (especially family) sit through movies they didn't enjoy. It made me anxious, and I'd often try to monitor people's reactions throughout. And now I try not to be the one to suggest movies for joint viewings.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I have this habit, too. It's not a conscious decision.
    yeah, it's weird, i get anxious if i'm watching a movie and/or listening to music with someone and i think they're hating it. it can even affect my enjoyment of it, like i'm hearing/seeing everything they hate about it. it mostly happens with my dad. who is pretty vocal about his disapproval of anything that doesn't feature steven seagal or don henley.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    yeah, it's weird, i get anxious if i'm watching a movie and/or listening to music with someone and i think they're hating it. it can even affect my enjoyment of it, like i'm hearing/seeing everything they hate about it. it mostly happens with my dad. who is pretty vocal about his disapproval of anything that doesn't feature steven seagal or don henley.
    Yeah, in certain contexts it can definitely tamper my love of a film watching it someone who isn't as into it.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Certainly not a great film but I can now say I don't think the man ever made a truly terrible one.
    Amistad and especially 1941 certainly disagree with this statement.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Amistad and especially 1941 certainly disagree with this statement.
    Neither is good but neither is terrible in my opinion. 1941 doesn't grate on me nearly as much as it does on some and I think there are a handful of genuinely funny moments sprinkled throughout. The trajectory of Amistad is stupid as hell but again there is still a competence to the filmmaking. There is a fluidity to the exchange of dialogue and flow of images that remains constant in all of his work. Amistad's 'Give us Free' bit is certainly way over the top but the film as a whole is not dramatically incompetent even if it is treacly and preachy.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Rewatched The Social Network with the fam. Mom loves it, dad likes it, bro and sis seemingly liked it.

I tried to not do that thing of where I'm constantly sneaking glances at them to see how they're responding. It's hard to not do that.

Still love the flick.
    I only do that when I haven't seen the movie before. Also your post reminds me that I bought TSN at Target cause it was only $10.00.

1941 will probably not get another chance anytime soon, but I have a feeling I would like Amistad. War Horse looks awful, but I really want to see Tintin.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    My brother in law does this to me and I hate it.
    Understandably.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Why not ask after the movie?
    Because clearly I'm insecure.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I have this habit, too. It's not a conscious decision.
    Glad I'm not completely alone on this one.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I used to really enjoy sharing movies I liked and had meaning to me with friends and family. Then I made a few too many people (especially family) sit through movies they didn't enjoy. It made me anxious, and I'd often try to monitor people's reactions throughout. And now I try not to be the one to suggest movies for joint viewings.
    I'm sorry if I contributed to this. In hindsight, I think I may have been quite an ass sometimes.

But on the other hand, you have definitely recommended some great films as well. If not for you, I would be ignorant of the excellence of Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

who is pretty vocal about his disapproval of anything that doesn't feature steven seagal or don henley.
    Haha. Your dad sounds awesome.

Best Worst Movie for those who don't know, is a documentary about Troll 2's ironic underground success. I've seen Troll 2 and can verify that it's wonderfully bad, the king of so-bad-it's-good.

The doc starts off amicably enough, but runs out of gas about an hour into it. We're treated to some behind-the-scenes stories, we get to meet much of the cast and crew, but the focus is mostly on George Hardy, who played the father. He seems like a good guy, and his initial reaction to Troll 2's cult success is enjoyable. But, as we follow his adventures I was left wishing there were more to the doc. More behind-the-scenes stories. More focus on the other actors. Stephenson clearly likes George the most.

There is only a fair amount of the film dedicated to Troll 2's director, Claudio Fragasso. His reaction to the cult success is the most interesting. He appears at once happy and offended by the audience reaction. He says he loves how it creates an emotional reaction, but then turns around and takes a fairly derisive tone toward the fans. He frequently insults the actors, all of whom have accepted Troll 2's intense badness. Even after reality has slapped him in the face, he continues to believe Troll 2 is a good film.

Overall, Hardy can't carry the entire film, which is somewhat short-sighted on Stephenson's part.

5/10
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

What's the consensus here on La Haine? I tried looking for some discussion but I didn't find anything. I thought it was good but not particularly great (I might have been unfairly indisposed towards it because IMDB top 100 + Pulp Fiction wannabe style), but it does have some nicely directed sequences.

I don't really see it as Pulp Fiction wannabe at all. I think it's a very strong work although certainly not a timeless masterpiece for the ages.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    What's the consensus here on La Haine? I tried looking for some discussion but I didn't find anything. I thought it was good but not particularly great (I might have been unfairly indisposed towards it because IMDB top 100 + Pulp Fiction wannabe style), but it does have some nicely directed sequences.
    It's my third favourite film of all time. And I can't even begin to comprehend how in any way shape or form this could be considered a "Pulp Fiction wannabe". I hope that's not your description, because it is one of the least accurate things I've ever seen used to describe a film.

They both have guns in them, I guess. And music.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I agree it's not at all like Pulp Fiction and not nearly as good either. Still, it's a solid film with a few electric scenes and a great performance by Cassel. It's a shame Kassovitz couldn't muster much of a directing career afterwards.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I agree it's not at all like Pulp Fiction and not nearly as good either. Still, it's a solid film with a few electric scenes and a great performance by Cassel. It's a shame Kassovitz couldn't muster much of a directing career afterwards.
    Yeah, what happened to him? Gothika, FFS?
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Saw it in college. Barely remember it.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Yeah, what happened to him? Gothika, FFS?
    Not to mention the Vin Diesel vehicle, Babylon AD.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    It's best we don't mention that.

He was good as the lead in A Self-Made Hero.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I had heard that it was a Pulp Fiction wannabe (the timeframe was just right for it), and the gunshot sound effects and flashy scene transitions didn't help my disposition much. I do agree that the films are not that similar, but I can see how someone might say they are.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Gothika is shit but I actually kind of enjoyed that one. It's a mess but it has its moments.

Just seen A Canterbury Tale - wonderfully evocative of the weight of history on the follies of the present, and the vice-like grip of nostalgia. Uses a shaggy dog story to frame both the resilience and lingering disappointments/regrets/worries of war-time rural England. Beautifully directed, the last 25 minutes are lyrical and provide a well-earned catharsis.

Powell and Pressburger were simply awesome.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Arirang. Kim Ki-duk's ultimate vanity project is an autobiographical docu-fiction film where Kim attempts to reconcile his status as internationally-known director with his current station in life experiencing immense guilt for a near-death experience on the set of his 2008 film, Dream, deceit by trusted colleagues and the subsequent existential re-examination. My main concern going in was that this was going to be silly and narcissistic. And it kinda is, but it feels too easy to dismiss Kim's work here and all of the emotion he so clearly put into it. If ever there were a film about purging demons, this is certainly it. Kim splits himself into multiple personae, interrogating and mocking himself for his guilt-riddled, rustic self-isolation. There is a sense of humor here, and an essential element of self-awareness. Arirang is Kim taking the criticism he hears the most, that his films are rough and technically poor, and turning it into a template for a return to basic cinematic truth; a man and his camera. It's no surprise, then, that Kim made the film entirely by himself without a single instance of artificial extra. All the light is natural and nobody acts as the film's lone human presence is Kim himself. Lengthy ruminations on life and Kim's views thereof soon become kinda insufferable until Kim edits out to show himself chuckling at his own misery on a TV screen. He creates scenarios that justify his nervous speeches, and that he responds as he did to the criticisms he's received, give one a sense of an insecure man sincerely thankful for his success, but at a critical crossroads that requires a metaphorical "killing" with a custom made gun to truly move on.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Boarding Gate was great. It's half Godard-style conversations between Argento and Madsen and half visceral chase scenes (and this time Assayas got the hang of how to shoot action), and never less than fully exciting.

StanleyK, since you still seem to be checking out Assayas, if you access to it, you should really watch Cold Water (L'eau Froide).

Miller's Crossing (1990) is not so much a gangster movie as it is The Coen Brothers creating a rather complex and engaging drama that just happens to in this case feature gangsters. Its arguably their most violent movie, but the more serious elements are properly balanced with rather bleak humor that's often quite funny and makes the more shocking aspects even more interesting. Even though I wouldn't place this in their top tier (and yet its a great movie-I think that speaks to how talented they really are) I think its a bit of a shame they never made another movie quite like this one. In some ways I suppose No Country For Old Men and Fargo are close, and oddly enough I feel that Burn After Reading might also be somewhat similar.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?