Page 2308 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13081808220822582298230623072308230923102318235824082808 ... LastLast
Results 57,676 to 57,700 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Also, Jennifer Lawrence was just awful. Please tell me I'm not alone in noticing this.
    I liked her casual style, but it was off for this film. She's clearly a natural, but two-dimensional superhero arcs are not for her.

Now, if you wanna talk about January Jones, on the other hand...

You mean Jones was bland enough to be in a superhero movie? I haven't seen her on Mad Men, but she was pretty dull in X-Men: First Class.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    People were thinking that about a solo Wolverine movie and look how that turned out.

Hint: [
    ]
    Of course, it hardly turned out to be an actual solo movie about Wolverine, but rather more of a showcase of all the mutants rejected by the main trilogy. The upcoming Wolverine, on the other hand, sounds like it may be an actual solo movie for the character, so we'll see...

As far as minor early Bergman goes, Summer With Monika doesn't have flashes of brilliance so much as moments of interest in the midst of general mediocrity.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Of course, it hardly turned out to be an actual solo movie about Wolverine, but rather more of a showcase of all the mutants rejected by the main trilogy. The upcoming Wolverine, on the other hand, sounds like it may be an actual solo movie for the character, so we'll see...
    This. It may as well have just been another X-Men title.

We saw some snippets of what the solo Magneto was aiming to be, and those are the best parts of First Class.

N

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Superman Returns love makes me happy. It is probably my favorite superhero film since X-Men jump-started the trend 11 years ago. That or Lee's Hulk.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Hunger - 74

Loved the structure, the decontextualizing of the first half as we follow a handful of characters who have plunged into the inhumanity of the prison (though the young policeman crying was a little on the nose, and something out of a more Ron Howardish movie), and seeing the erosion of the physical form, the second half with someone determined to take his body back and use it to make a change for the better, or at least provide him one last piece of freedom. The long scene with the priest is a great dividing line between the two, (making the piss mopping scene all the more elongated and pointless, at least where it is situated in the film related to the rest of the structure).

McQueen has a good eye and an already well-developed editing rhythm, but there are hints that he may like to gild the lily a bit in terms of how he approaches his narratives. As impressive as this debut is, I'm not looking forward to Shame all that much, because the premise bores me to tears, and I'm not sure McQueen would be the director to transcend it - he'd be more likely to take it far too seriously. Someone feel free to put me straight on that, however.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Holy crap, Dead Ringers was heartbreaking, repulsive, involving thriller-making. I feel funny that after falling for the admittedly lavish Black Swan, here is a film that plays the drama a bit closer to reality, a bit harsher, and ends up all the more tragic for it. Jeremy Irons is never less than riveting. Although his two personalities are bifurcated in a basic way, with one as smarmy id, the other as effete superego, he keeps both performances subtle, so that the Mantle twins play as people instead of archetypes. I was a bit leery once Cronenberg introduced the Giger-esque medical tools, and their presence may be a bit too much as far as misdirection goes, but I suppose it is a way of showing the grotesquerie bubbling beneath the twins' eerie symbiosis. There's something sickly about their connection, and that only increases, until they take their final circle around the abyss. What a fantastically disturbed piece of filmmaking.

Combat Shock - Plays like Taxi Driver if Travis was unemployed, had a wife and the baby from Eraserhead to deal with, and Hermann's lush noir-jazz was replaced with a worn-out Moroder LP playing two rooms down. A queasily atmospheric cry of Reagan-era despair, wherein the anger and conviction transcends the lack of professionalism in almost every department.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    he'd be more likely to take it far too seriously. Someone feel free to put me straight on that, however.
    No, that's about right.

Not sure how a premise can bore you to tears, though.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    No, that's about right.

Not sure how a premise can bore you to tears, though.
    Well, the story of a sex addict and how hollow his life is.....God, I'm bored just typing it out.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Rom-com premises usually bore me to tears. I think I see where trans comes from with the crying and the sadness and the being bored :P
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

A second viewing of Blissfully Yours didn't improve it as I hoped it would. Joe is great at using ambience (mostly the dense vegetation and droning sounds of the forest) to amplify his character's emotions and establishing moods. But the characters here are very thin and even their small gestures (which mostly involve caressing; Orn caresses her belly; Roong caresses Min's dick; both women caress his peeling skin), which I understand carry great significance, don't resonate at all. As such the long stretches of stillness and silent walks through the woods aren't captivating, but actually really boring. Weerasethakul is probably my favorite director of this past decade on the strength of his following three movies, and his natural filmmaking prowess makes Blissfully Yours still worth watching, but it didn't really do anything for me.

I saw Carnage by Roman Polanski with Judy Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly. Base on the play by Yasmina Reza.

Anyone has seen it ?
    Anyway, I thought it was extremely well played and done since the film is based on the acting and the dialog, very incisive, ironical and sharp dialog. The film is mainly set in a living room during almost all way through (it lasts 80 minutes).
    With only 4 characters, each one perfect in their acting, one location, one event (a little fight of 2 young kids) to launch the reason of this meeting, Polanski manages to keep a flowing pace.

So a few months ago or a year or so two montage videos were posted here. One was a year in review. The montage was tight but the movies it featured were terrible. In the other video the montage was loose but the movies featured were good. So I thought hmm, what if I combined the strengths of both of these and did one myself? The result is the following. Took me a while to grab all the films but the editing itself only took 2-3 days.

http://vimeo.com/33495157

The only annoying part was the xvid watermark that crops up from time to time. I don't know how to remove it. Anyway, hope you enjoy. If you do please pass it along!
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Good stuff. What are the movies with the guy lighting a cigarette and the guy balancing a glass on his head?
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Excellent work, Qrazy! Obviously I wish a couple more movies made it on there, but that speaks more to the challenge of fitting everything possible into six minutes. Good, simple editing, and a wonderful variety of films. The music selection has me listening to Nameless Furs for the first time on Spotify right now.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Good stuff. What are the movies with the guy lighting a cigarette and the guy balancing a glass on his head?
    The Man from London (Tarr) and Khrustalyov, My Car! (Aleksei German) respectively.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Well done. How'd you find all the clips?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Excellent work, Qrazy! Obviously I wish a couple more movies made it on there, but that speaks more to the challenge of fitting everything possible into six minutes. Good, simple editing, and a wonderful variety of films. The music selection has me listening to Nameless Furs for the first time on Spotify right now.
    Thanks! (Handsome Furs)
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Well done. How'd you find all the clips?
    Pirated.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Pirated.
    With trains, I guess there's at least a theme. Trying to do a 2011 movie one myself, and it's pretty tough!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    With trains, I guess there's at least a theme. Trying to do a 2011 movie one myself, and it's pretty tough!
    Yeah this made it a lot easier. I just had to remember my favorite films with train sequences (with help from match-cut of course) skim through and cut that sequence and then further cut down my favorite shot from the sequence. Plowing through dozens of full films for the right shot would be brutal.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Good job. Well worth the effort!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Yeah this made it a lot easier. I just had to remember my favorite films with train sequences (with help from match-cut of course) skim through and cut that sequence and then further cut down my favorite shot from the sequence. Plowing through dozens of full films for the right shot would be brutal.
    Just been taking random sequences so far.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter