Page 2302 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13021802220222522292230023012302230323042312235224022802 ... LastLast
Results 57,526 to 57,550 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I'll have to watch it again. I remember liking it's handle of tone and pace.
    I used to really like it (then again I was like 15 when I saw it in the theatre). But re-watching it recently was cringe-inducing. Thomas Jane felt all-wrong for the role (and I'm a big fan of Jane). He's not intimidating at all, and his forced mopey posture and growl are just bad.

And that doesn't even touch on the horrid script and poor acting from everyone involved.

Travolta was particularly awful. Similar to Jane, absolutely no sense of menace. I didn't believe he was a guy who tough guys would answer to and take orders from.

Really? I don't remember much panache. It was an overexposed, grimy eye-sore cast in the most unimaginative blue-gold lighting scheme this side of straight-to-DVD cover boxes. And the Jane film had plenty of stylized visuals.
    I don't remember any stylish visuals from the Jane film, unless you count the hilariously hoaky (in both concept and execution) shot of the Punisher skull made of blown up cars.

I thought the super-saturated lighting and extreme camera angles in War Zone were more ambitious than anything in Jane's film. To put that statement in perspective, I thought War Zone was mediocre-at-best stylistically speaking...so I really thought there was nothing there in the Jane film.

That they even tried to give War Zone some kind of tonal, expressive lighting and camerawork puts it ahead of the '04 film in that regard.

We clearly have different ideas of the character. Stevenson was embarrassing. His jowls cast his mouth in a permanent droopy frown. The slicked hair and absence of jawline made him look like a coke dealer from a Golan-Globus film.
    Are you not a fan of the Ennis Punisher stuff?

'Cause really, Stevenson's Punisher (I'm talking physically here, only - script and dialogue be damned) was pretty much Ennis' Punisher put on film.

The slicked-back black hair, the over-40 mature look (jowls and all), the "costume" being more of a tactical suit than an actual costume. They put "Punisher MAX" on film, looks wise.

The positives: I liked Dash Mihok as Soap. I think Ennis is too hard on the character, and Mihok bypasses the more aggressive patheticness with which he was conceived. And I liked Dominic West's overemphatic Brooklyn accent.
    I just like Dominic West
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Man, Ozu's compositions are wonderful.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Snake Eyes (1998) is powered by a really great Nic Cage performance, and also has Gary Sinise being pretty good. The movie does suffer at times from some unnecessary camp, and there are a couple of weak spots, yet its still a good rock solid thriller that moves fast and is fairly entertaining. In some ways I felt this was a 90s companion piece to De Palma's classic masterpiece Blow-Out, and you could somewhat compare and contrast the two. I will say that despite his faults De Palma knows how to craft an engaging tension filled movie.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Man, Ozu's compositions are wonderful.
    They'd have to be given how long his camera stares at them.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Following was a cute little trick from Christopher Nolan. Nothing substantial, but an interesting introduction to his skill set, which consists of how he pulls his audience through a narrative chiefly: via scene sequencing. A happens, then B happens, but then E and F happen, and then Q happens, and now we're learning about M. This amounts to little more than the assembly of a puzzle, but it's a fun puzzle. Later films like Memento and The Prestige find more pathos and intrigue in their mysteries.

B-

Hey I have that movie on DVD, I just have not bothered to watch it yet.

The Lusty Men (1952) is a rather poetic yet harsh look at the life of the wandering rodeo cowboy. Robert Mitchum doesn't act in this movie so much as project himself onto the silver screen-his gruff exterior hiding the fact that he was a truly gifted actor. Some flaws aside, this was a pretty well made film, and I'm actually annoyed that I cannot find Mitchum's amazing monologue about trying and failing during his rodeo career. "I must have made half a dozen bartenders rich in my time. I threw away the down payment for a spread over a game of craps..."

Which reminds me that my local library has both Bigger Than Life and Rebel Without a Cause, so I'll have to rent those. Really wish they would hurry up and build on the new spot which is closer to my house. Driving all the way across town is a pain in the ass.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Hey I have that movie on DVD, I just have not bothered to watch it yet.
    I'm going to start a grassroots movement here at MC called Occupy Madman, where we protest outside your lawn until you watch all these movies you've promised to watch or have but haven't bothered to watch. I'm hoping it stays peaceful, but once number8 shows up, I have a feeling a cop will inevitably end up shooting someone's dog. The laziness stops here Madman.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I'm going to start a grassroots movement here at MC called Occupy Madman, where we protest outside your lawn until you watch all these movies you've promised to watch or have but haven't bothered to watch. I'm hoping it stays peaceful, but once number8 shows up, I have a feeling a cop will inevitably end up shooting someone's dog. The laziness stops here Madman.
    That's hilarious, although I've seen 18 movies this month (which for me is quite a bit, especially with school and work study thrown in, and distractions such as sports and the need for some kind of a social life, plus TV). Check my blog, people-I'll admit I'm a bit behind in reviews, but I did post a new one a couple days ago, and I have a Repulsion review that I just have to upload.

Why if number8 shows up will a cop shoot someone's dog, though? I like dogs. Anyone who hurts dogs should get maced in the face. Hey that rhymes.

I don't have to worry about that protest too much, cause you don't know where I live. I will warn you that I live near a school, and the kids are kind of mean-they'd probably throw rocks and trash at you.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Following was a cute little trick from Christopher Nolan. Nothing substantial, but an interesting introduction to his skill set, which consists of how he pulls his audience through a narrative chiefly: via scene sequencing. A happens, then B happens, but then E and F happen, and then Q happens, and now we're learning about M. This amounts to little more than the assembly of a puzzle, but it's a fun puzzle. Later films like Memento and The Prestige find more pathos and intrigue in their mysteries.

B-
    I loved how the lead actor's apartment was used in the film and that he had a Batman logo on the front door.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    They'd have to be given how long his camera stares at them.
    This sounds derisive, yet I can't imagine why you'd have an issue with lengthy takes. Really, Ozu doesn't hold his shots very long.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Always nice to see someone else enjoying Ferrara's work. I knew you were a fan, but it's cool to see him discussed at any length. I wasn't all that taken with The Funeral, actually. Definitely one of my least favorite Ferrara's, along with King of New York and The Blackout. The latter two strike me as more formally ambitious and interesting, but not entirely successful. Their themes and ideas elevate them. I enjoyed New Rose Hotel more than any of them.
    NRH is quite unique. I am surprised you didn't like The Funeral though. I thought it was very good. Admittedly, not very ambitious, but it has a nice feel to it, I think. It has an appealing sort of atmosphere, for me.

Does anyone know if Melville still posts on this forum?

Quote Quoting Israfel the Black (view post)
    Does anyone know if Melville still posts on this forum?
    From time to time, mostly in the book discussion thread.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    From time to time, mostly in the book discussion thread.
    I see. Just wondering. I remembered him posting back when I posted a lot before and hadn't seen him since I've been posting more lately.

Does sic transit gloria still post? Or MacGuffin, whatever his new name was..

Quote Quoting Israfel the Black (view post)
    I see. Just wondering. I remembered him posting back when I posted a lot before and hadn't seen him since I've been posting more lately.

Does sic transit gloria still post? Or MacGuffin, whatever his new name was..
    No, haven't seen him.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Is Love Exposure alright for my first Sono? I'm starting my 2011 (US release) blitz this weekend.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Is Love Exposure alright for my first Sono? I'm starting my 2011 (US release) blitz this weekend.
    Well, I watched it, really liked it, and still haven't seen another Sono...

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I've seen pretty much all besides Love Exposure (finally comes out on dvd Dec 20th) and you really can't go wrong starting with any of them. They're all pretty great.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It was my first Sono, and I've now seen nearly everything since Suicide Club. Still my favorite. Go for it!

Love Exposure is the only Sono I've really liked (from the 4 I've seen).

i really liked everything about the ides of march except for the plot. which was really really bad.

I haven't seen any others, but I liked this one only moderately. The first hour is hilarious, but the energy rapidly diminishes after the "miracle" occurs. Also, it looks like total ass throughout.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Sono's Strange Circus is amazing, probably my favorite of his with hindsight, more people should see it. Just watching that trailer makes me want to watch it again. And yeah, I still need to make time for Love Exposure as well.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Strange Circus is my favorite also.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Strange Circus is a wonderful film, indeed.