Page 2298 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 12981798219822482288229622972298229923002308234823982798 ... LastLast
Results 57,426 to 57,450 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

The French thriller The Prey is compulsively watchable. I had remembrances of '70s and '80s De Palma while watching it, and coming from me that's a huge compliment. It's just a pulpy action movie, but somehow a lot more mature and out there than a similar Hollywood product.

Pina 3D was a fantastic experience. Not being familiar or enthusiastic about the world of ballet and completely ignorant about contemporary dancing, I gotta say Wenders does a great job of getting the audience into the sauce of it.

Super 8 wasn't very good. At its core it's very similar to Cloverfield which I also disliked. Spielberg references galore and convincing child performances make this a better film, but Abrams just does some very questionable things with his characters. They are all a lot more heroic than they have any right to be considering the circumstances. Halfway through this I started to fondly remember The Host and wondered if Abrams had seen it.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    When they come from you, they usually don't.
    Because my stoic gaze already communicates all? Good to know.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    :lol:

At least my opinions on other things have a chance of being worth a damn...
    I'm nothing if not even handed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I actually like Super 8 more than either The Host or Cloverfield...

Silver Streak (1976) is a really entertaining and funny 70s style comedy/thriller. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor are great together here-I would like to see the other movies where they are paired up, since they play off of each other's comedic styles very well. The bathroom scene with Wilder is one of the funnier moments I've viewed in quite some time.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)

Silver Streak (1976) is a really entertaining and funny 70s style comedy/thriller. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor are great together here-I would like to see the other movies where they are paired up, since they play off of each other's comedic styles very well. The bathroom scene with Wilder is one of the funnier moments I've viewed in quite some time.
    I recently watched Stir Crazy, it wasn't very good.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The final twist in Nine Queens seemed kind of absurd to me and greatly diminished what was otherwise a pretty enjoyable film.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    The final twist in Nine Queens seemed kind of absurd to me and greatly diminished what was otherwise a pretty enjoyable film.
    Speaking of Argentine directors, I just watched The Method from 2005. Kind of like 12 Angry Men crossed with Survivor with 7 executive job candidates in a room while IMF riots are being held outside. Very enjoyable and thought provoking.

I remember not being let down by the ending of Nine Queens.

Tokyo Drifter (1966) is raw, energetic, a bit strange and a really great gangster thriller that doesn't quite follow normal convention. Although at the time its main storyline (gangster tries to go straight, rivals gangs try to either bring him back or kill him) was less cliche in the 1960s. Love this film's brilliant use of color and Japanese cheesy pop music.

X-Men First Class (2011) was pretty good, and I actually like it better than any of the previous X-Men movies. Yes, even over X2. Despite some really silly moments (I guess even superhero movies need to have montages) there were plenty of great or entertaining scenes that made up for those. The younger cast wasn't as strong as the older bunch, although Jennifer Lawrence continues to impress me in terms of what passes for younger actresses being good these days.

Not enough Kevin Bacon, or maybe too much Kevin Bacon. Can't decide which was true. I'm game for a sequel, although I'm not sure if it will happen or not due to this film's weak box office returns.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

First film in two weeks was Tangled, which was enjoyable fare. I'm surprised the filmmakers didn't explore the surrogate mother relationship more, or the ramifications of her demise, but it was a pleasant surprise after the initial icky trailers. Thanks to all who promoted it on the board...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Tokyo Drifter (1966) is raw, energetic, a bit strange and a really great gangster thriller that doesn't quite follow normal convention. Although at the time its main storyline (gangster tries to go straight, rivals gangs try to either bring him back or kill him) was less cliche in the 1960s. Love this film's brilliant use of color and Japanese cheesy pop music.
    I like very much this film too.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It's a typical twist for this type of film, and it's even fairly predictable, but I think the fact that the script focuses so much on the developing relationship between the two characters automatically makes it more relevant than the same twist in, I dunno, Matchstick Men. It's a good movie. I was always sad the director died so young.

First Class better than X2? Crazy talk.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It's a typical twist for this type of film, and it's even fairly predictable, but I think the fact that the script focuses so much on the developing relationship between the two characters automatically makes it more relevant than the same twist in, I dunno, Matchstick Men. It's a good movie. I was always sad the director died so young.

[
    ]

But yes, the final twist in Matchstick Men is just awful crap.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Heh yeah, I've also seen this quite a few times, but that's partly due to my fascination with trains. The ending is actually surprisingly spectacular although the damage in real life would have been far more catastrophic.

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Heh yeah, I've also seen this quite a few times, but that's partly due to my fascination with trains. The ending is actually surprisingly spectacular although the damage in real life would have been far more catastrophic.

Heh, yeah that's true. The movie works in typical outlandish thriller movie fashion, with comedy thrown in. I don't mind that, because it even admits how silly the overall premise is.

Sure I'll have to revisit X2, but I recall it being very good. The two get the same star rating anyways, and are only five points apart at this moment, bearing a second viewing of X2. I'm not sure why people thought it was the best superhero movie of all time when Spiderman 2 is better, not to mention The Dark Knight.

All this may or may not stem from the fact that I like Batman: TAS, Spiderman TAS, and X-Men TAS better than most of the live action movies that were made for those respective franchises.

Oh and I wonder if the Donner cut of Superman II is really as good as they say, cause I saw the theatrical regular cut and thought it was merely solid at best. But hey I don't really like Superman, although I keep watching his movies, I guess-I enjoyed Superman Returns.

I like very much this film too.
    Cool.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

All this may or may not stem from the fact that I like Batman: TAS, Spiderman TAS, and X-Men TAS better than most of the live action movies that were made for those respective franchises.
    Absolutely no argument here.

Qrazy, I should rewatch the film to argue thoroughly about it, but I remember the bit about the toy gun and I agree that it's far fetched to assume a person will act out exactly like Dar*n did in the scene. However almost all con man films I've seen in my life cause that same reaction from me. I almost consider it a genre trope.

For Criterion Consideration. Criterion Cast people put together video essays arguing for Criterion to release films. I already see a few on here that could definitely use a proper release.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Yo LA peeps, Edgar Wright is hosting a week full of movies he hasn't seen at the New Beverly. I'm definitely going to the Umbrellas of Cherbourg/Chungking Express double feature. May go to the Ford/Peckinpah one as well.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yo LA peeps, Edgar Wright is hosting a week full of movies he hasn't seen at the New Beverly. I'm definitely going to the Umbrellas of Cherbourg/Chungking Express double feature. May go to the Ford/Peckinpah one as well.
    Excellent! I won't be able to see Umbrellas, since it falls on a Monday (stupid work is stupid), but I'm tempted to grab tickets for the Keaton/Chaplin/Fields marathon.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    For Criterion Consideration. Criterion Cast people put together video essays arguing for Criterion to release films. I already see a few on here that could definitely use a proper release.
    I can't remember if The Limey (1999) is on Criterion, but if it isn't it should be. I would love to see "Strange Behavior" or "Raw Meat" get Criterions, just because I'm a proponent of more horror movies and neither one has a really good DVD release, much less a Blu Ray release either. I'm trying to think of a few others-Drive would be a cool one, but its too new and that would be too obvious of a choice. Is there any Bava on Criterion or Argento? Cause those guys made movies worthy of being selected. You know what would be really amazing? If some company, Criterion, Arthouse, whatever, would re-release all of the Hammer Studios Dracula and Frankenstein movies on DVD/Blu Ray, remastered. That would rule, hard.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Attack the Block on the way in. Excited for that one.

Think I'll save Hugo for the weekend and check out Melancholia tomorrow afternoon.

My Week With Marilyn seems like its worth a shot too.

Good movie weekend lined up.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've got a huge list of year-end screenings over the next few weeks (before I head to Papua New Guinea for a 4-week holiday): War Horse tomorrow, then Tintin, The Iron Lady, Hugo, Restless... and Jack & Jill.

I'm also interviewing Almodovar over the phone next week. Exciting times.

Suddenly all these movies I want to see... Melancholia, Hugo, The Muppets, and Happy Feet Two again.

The children's fare will probably rub out the chance of me seeing serious stuff that I'm mildly, morbidly curious about, but not enough: Martha Marcy May Marlene, A Dangerous Method, and J. Edgar.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    and Happy Feet Two again.
    Gotta say, I was a bit shocked by your score for this, since an 8 is damn high by your standards, but it's a pleasant sort of surprise. The conformity of consensus over many films can be a drag, so I always take pleasure in wildly divergent responses from those whose views I hold in high esteem, which also gives me the courage to trust my own instincts when my reaction to any given film deviates dramatically from the norm.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Gotta say, I was a bit shocked by your score for this, since an 8 is damn high by your standards, but it's a pleasant sort of surprise. The conformity of consensus over many films can be a drag, so I always take pleasure in wildly divergent responses from those whose views I hold in high esteem, which also gives me the courage to trust my own instincts when my reaction to any given film deviates dramatically from the norm.
    I can honestly say I've never been so baffled by a critical response to a film before. I'm particularly taken aback that I've found no reprieve from sources I trust, what with everyone from Slant to Ignatiy Vishnevetsky completely missing the boat. But totally, it's not a shocking occurrence that mediocre films get a pass when something with a modicum of ambition or daring gets its flaws focused on... (which doesn't really apply to HF2, cuz I don't even agree about any of its alleged "major flaws"... but that's beside the point...).

EDIT: In any case, I do think HF2 is just that good (unless you hated HF1), and people here seem to agree with me.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

I felt the same thing about the first Happy Feet, which I found insufferable and headache-inducing, but most others seemed to love.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Excerpts from Arnold and John Milius' commentary for Conan the Barbarian.

:lol::lol:
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **