Page 2291 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 12911791219122412281228922902291229222932301234123912791 ... LastLast
Results 57,251 to 57,275 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    ritch:
    Oh, yay! I love Into the Woods. It might be my favorite musical ever. Maybe.

And that production is top notch. I'm seeing a live production of it this spring. I saw it live once before, but it was pretty amateur.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I'm assuming that's the original Broadway production DVD? Only one I've seen of the show, but it is naturally fabulous. My favorite of his remains Sunday in the Park with George, though I always feel that I am alone in that.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I have a original cast recording of Sunday in the Park with George on CD signed by Mandy Patinkin.

I'm a fan. Although I think the second act was weaker.

I also met Sondheim once in person by hanging outside a stage door at 17 and being a total nerd.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I very nearly missed this. Yes, it was the Broadway production that is on Netflix streaming (there has to be a better way of referring to the Instant Viewing portion of Netflix). Loved everything about it. The songs were a blast, the play was absolutely hilarious, the performances were spot on, etc. It was a three-hour play that absolutely flew by. I had to watch one "mediatized" play for my Modern Drama class, and this had been on my queue ever since seeing Sweeney Todd. I wish it was something I could have seen live, because the forced perspective really bothered me, but I'll take what I can get.

Quote Quoting Raiders
    Light in August (William Faulkner, 1932) ****
    I'm equally pleased with this rating.

I'm pretty jazzed about Daft Punk's Electroma, which I just finished. Watched it on a whim and wasn't expecting that!

I need to do a Muppets marathon in preparation for the new film. Never seen the original.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I need to do a Muppets marathon in preparation for the new film. Never seen the original.
    I believe the only one I've seen at least most of was Muppet Treasure Island, so yeah I haven't viewed the original, either.

The new one coming out looks pretty good.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The original is great. I recently rewatched the first three (which are the only truly quality ones) and they held up wonderfully.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I'm pretty jazzed about Daft Punk's Electroma, which I just finished. Watched it on a whim and wasn't expecting that!
    Tell me more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Tell me more.
    I was expecting something wilder. With poppin' colors and dance music and futuristic dance clubs and stuff. Y'know... something Daft Punky.

Instead, it's a minimalist deconstruction of identity, achieved through visually associating the American West with barren cosmic expansiveness. Long stretches of silence (punctuated with blissful choreographies of classic rock and classical music - no D.Punk music on the s.track) and protracted action, following machines through landscapes, achieving the affect of alienation (replacing all life with circuitry and sand) while still implicating the viewer in its deliberations. It doesn't distort the recognizable in its attempts to make its connections, but instead gazes long enough for the inherent bizarreness of photographed objects to make an impression. Like saying the same word over and over until it just sounds like a weird noise. It's hypnotizing and beautiful and sometimes (like with the gas station bathroom's flickering flourescents) a little frightening. So many great moments.

Plus, the first song is Rundgren's International Feel, playing as the duo cruises through the cosmic deserts of California. Immediate win.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    The original is great. I recently rewatched the first three (which are the only truly quality ones) and they held up wonderfully.
    Baloney. Christmas Carol is wonderful. I feel like we've discussed this before, though.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I've only seen bits and pieces of Electroma, but what I saw of it was beautiful. I really want to see it in its entirety.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Disclosure is a pretty good movie, even though it could have gone farther in its exploration of sexual and office politics. Oh well, I still liked it, and it has a good cast.

I realize that these days I just write reviews in my blog instead of here. Much easier to just do that instead.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Sisters of the Gion was fantastic, and the best Mizoguchi I've seen so far. Also has easily the longest takes I've ever seen in a film from the '30s.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I did the same thing and I was pretty underwhelmed with all three.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Baloney. Christmas Carol is wonderful. I feel like we've discussed this before, though.
    Extensively!

I feel like there are enjoyable elements in all the Muppet films, but I think the first three really had that mix of the wholesome and the subversive that really defines the Muppets for me.

If anything, I think The Great Muppet Caper is the most underrated. It's actually a pretty snazzy little heist film, satirizing the genre while indulging in the best kind of action/romance/comedy. And the musical numbers are some of my favorites, including Piggy's Ethel Merman spoof, Kermit's Fred Astaire spoof, and the dancing-waiters-production-number "The First Time it Happens."
    ...and the milk's in me.

Christmas Carol is a shrill bore, comparatively insubstantial, and all the more depressing for facilitating a flat Michael Caine performance.

And yes, we've danced this tango before.

Oh, yay! I love Into the Woods. It might be my favorite musical ever. Maybe.

And that production is top notch. I'm seeing a live production of it this spring. I saw it live once before, but it was pretty amateur.
    Was the the one with Bernadette Peters as the witch? I saw it recently. Really impressive, though I felt the second act was almost a different play entirely.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    Was the the one with Bernadette Peters as the witch? I saw it recently. Really impressive, though I felt the second act was almost a different play entirely.
    A better play. The first act sets it up, and the second knocks everything down.
    ...and the milk's in me.

A better play. The first act sets it up, and the second knocks everything down.
    Oh, I don't disagree. It just shocked the hell out of me

I quite liked The Edge of Heaven, can't wait for Akin to finish the trilogy. He presents a tender zaniness I find very appealing. Half Nelson on the other hand was incredibly rote and uninteresting on every level. The script was by the books but the filmmaking was also a series of mids and close-ups communicating absolutely nothing about our surroundings. I wasn't even impressed by Gosling's performance, highly overrated.

A re-watch of Brazil (fifth viewing or so) confirmed it as a favorite.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The first act sets it up, and the second knocks everything down.
    Exactly. That's the whole point. What happens beyond 'happily ever after'? What happens after you get your prince? Life goes on. It's really quite brilliant.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I thought EoH was a big step down from Head-on, though I probably owe it another viewing.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I thought EoH was a big step down from Head-on, though I probably owe it another viewing.
    Head-on is definitely better, yes.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Wow, they really massacred Texas Killing Fields in the editing room. Wildly inconsistent quality, inexplicable time leaps and the tension is largely absent because there's no escalation in the action, really. I was digging it starting out, but it just gets worse and worse as the edits strip away important context, mood and atmosphere and pares the whole thing down to a straightforward narrative with strange and unarticulated motifs and themes shoved in around the sides. I'd be willing to give a director's cut a chance, but as is, it's not worth bothering with. Seems we're still yet to see if Mann's talents were passed onto his daughter.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames