Page 2242 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 12421742214221922232224022412242224322442252229223422742 ... LastLast
Results 56,026 to 56,050 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

- - - - -
    Choices tonight:

- Rango
    - Source Code
    - The Beaver

Not sure why, but I'm going with Beaver. Uhm. The Beaver.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Not sure why, but I'm going with Beaver. Uhm. The Beaver.
    Ahem; Jodie Foster's Beaver.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I actually think The Brown Bunny is pretty good ...
    I agree. I've said it before, but the much-maligned bj scene is actually quite effective in context.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

If Gallo sticks to his guns, my having seen Promises Written in Water at one of its two festival outings will forever be one of my greatest prides.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    the much-maligned bj scene
    Heh, that's not how I remember it
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Interesting conversation about Life is Beautiful, but the film is such a formal piece of shit, who cares.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The heart of a film, the essence of what it is able to convey to a viewer is so much more interesting to me than its formal qualities. I don't remember immaculate photography or impeccable editing. I remember what it made me feel and think. If it's different for you, so be it.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

The heart of a film, the essence of what it is able to convey to a viewer is so much more interesting to me than its formal qualities. I don't remember immaculate photography or impeccable editing. I remember what it made me feel and think. If it's different for you, so be it.
    Exactly. Evaluating this on its formal qualities is like evaluating The Tree of Life by its comic set pieces.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Fuckin' Beaver, man. I hate you.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Exactly. Evaluating this on its formal qualities is like evaluating The Tree of Life by its comic set pieces.
    No, it's actually nothing like that.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I require both. The essence of this film imo is manipulative treacle. It just doesn't help that it's wrapped in an ugly blanket of formal ineptitude.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

So, I thought Dogville was really great. Not sure why people get so up in arms about the anti-American small towns thing, though the ending credits montage is pretty stupid. I think it was just in a town to more clearly relay what Trier was saying, but considering how many times throughout the film the idea of universality came out, I think we're supposed to think that the things that happened in the town (on a allegorical level) can happen anywhere...it's just exacerbated by being in a contained community, and the device used to relay this was bold and brilliant, I thought. Also of note I think is Tom's character--I've read somewhere than von Trier says he relates to his female protagonists, and I don't necessarily doubt that, but I couldn't help but feel he identified with Tom as well, who I find to be maybe the most interesting character in the film--constant claims about "illustration," and well, obviously it brings up von Treir's own illustration through the allegorical narrative as well as the literal illustration of the chalk lines and the set. Trier certainly gets great performances out of his female characters. Loved the conversation about arrogance, very smartly written but never smug I don't think. I still find some of von Trier's irony (though the narration is mostly great), contrivances, and pessimistic outlook a bit frustrating--though granted the cynicism serves for a great purpose here, it's not just empty bleakness--but overall I'm quite impressed.

Buffalo '66 and The Brown Bunny are both great. I was incredibly excited for Promises Written in Water. I desperately hope he caves and releases it in some format.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

- - - - -
    This is pretty interesting:

http://www.ebertpresents.com/movies/...ble/videos/261

Lengthy clip of Siskel and Ebert and their old Sneak Previews show. This goes "behind the scenes" into the life of a critic and takes you into the offices and screening rooms as these guys review a movie.

Nicole Kidman somehow back to looking good again:

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Kelly Reichardt's (yes, that Kelly Reichardt) first film, River of Grass, is a Jon Jost-influenced de-romanticization of the "Bonnie and Clyde" narrative. Violent passion is replaced with awkward co-dependence. The beautiful couple is replaced by two average small town people. The crimes are silly and almost satirical. Their mutual ennui brings them together, and an aging cop's gun, carelessly forgotten, is the impetus that brings about their new and exciting identity of murderers on the run; a superior alternative to the tedium they seem to have inherited from their parents. Having not actually hurt the person they accidentally shot at, let alone killed him, they spend the majority of the film hiding out in cheap motels and running from the tail they never actually acquired. This is a long shot stylistically from the minimalism she's known for, though I'd say it's better than Wendy and Lucy, the only other film of hers I've seen, which I did enjoy.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Finally watched Forbidden Planet. Totally groovy.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Finally watched Forbidden Planet. Totally groovy.
    Excellent. I love how it stuffs some delicious subtext into its Buck Rogers-and-Shakespeare sandwich. Also, lovely film.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    a Jon Jost-influenced
    Whoa. There's a name I haven't heard in ages and ages.

Whoa. There's a name I haven't heard in ages and ages.
    I'm a big fan of his. Haven't watched anything of his in a bit, though.
    Last 5 Viewed

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I'm a big fan of his. Haven't watched anything of his in a bit, though.
    Heh! Never met anyone who described themselves as a fan. I met once of his producers once, Henry Rosenthal, the guy who did Vermeers. That was a strange and disturbing experience. He was bitter and stressed and kinda ugly about indie movies.

Heh! Never met anyone who described themselves as a fan. I met once of his producers once, Henry Rosenthal, the guy who did Vermeers. That was a strange and disturbing experience. He was bitter and stressed and kinda ugly about indie movies.
    Huh. I know Boner's a fan, too. Jost is good people.
    Last 5 Viewed

I've only seen Last Chants for a Slow Dance but I loved it and I'm sure I'd be a fan if I saw more of his. Many cinephiles swear by him; Rosenbaum and Adrian Martin esp, and Godard once called him the greatest living American filmmaker.

From what I gather he once a pretty big deal before facing homelessness in the mid/late-90's and relocating to Portugal; I've read his name mentioned in 90's reference books and magazine articles alongside Linklater, Jarmusch, Hartley, Haynes and many other big names of that era's indie boom. Seems like a textbook example of a filmmaker ripe for DVD rediscovery. He still churns out DV cheapies but they rarely get seen outside of tiny European festivals.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I've only seen Last Chants for a Slow Dance but I loved it and I'm sure I'd be a fan if I saw more of his. Many cinephiles swear by him; Rosenbaum and Adrian Martin esp, and Godard once called him the greatest living American filmmaker.

From what I gather he once a pretty big deal before facing homelessness in the mid/late-90's and relocating to Portugal; I've read his name mentioned in 90's reference books and magazine articles alongside Linklater, Jarmusch, Hartley, Haynes and many other big names of that era's indie boom. Seems like a textbook example of a filmmaker ripe for DVD rediscovery. He still churns out DV cheapies but they rarely get seen outside of tiny European festivals.
    I believe he's living in South Korea right now doing a teaching gig. He's still hard at work on films and doesn't seem like he plans on stopping anytime soon.
    Last 5 Viewed

- - - - -
    Was Luc Besson's The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec ever released in the US?