Page 2176 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 11761676207621262166217421752176217721782186222622762676 ... LastLast
Results 54,376 to 54,400 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    That's some kind of heresy where I come from. Picard? Really?

[
    ]
    Yes Picard is the superior officer.

And I should say that I absolutely love the ending to Khan and how it ties with the Search for Spock. I just don't care for first half.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    I have a much more simple method: if the movie is good, I like it. If I don't like the movie, it's because it isn't good.

Since as you said all forms of appraisal are subjective, I don't see the point of separating your emotional reaction to the film from its formal qualities. It's the same damn movie.
    They aren't all subjective in the same way. And you aren't separating your emotional reaction to the film from its formal qualities. What you're doing is recognizing that certain qualities in a work which are distinctly personal to you... like a film which addresses a fear of water and thus connects with you because you also fear water has little to do with the quality of the work. That aspect may make the film your favorite film, but it doesn't make it the director's most accomplished film.

Your method is too simple and you know it isn't true. If you like or dislike a movie there may be many reasons other than the fact that it is or isn't good. Perhaps it was a first viewing and you'll change your mind later, perhaps you viewed it with someone who mocked it throughout thus coloring your judgment, perhaps a character reminded you of your ex-girlfriend and you thought Fuck this Shit as a result, and on and on. You are suggesting an absolute quality to your own subjective evaluations which isn't there. Some aspects of a work can be appraised by the collective subjectivity (what we tend to term objectivity) while other aspects are more personally subjective (nostalgia).
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Thank god, because your value judgments are the worst.
    Yeah, well, your mother isn't very discerning when evaluating potential sexual partners.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Yeah, well, your mother isn't very discerning when evaluating potential sexual partners.
    Are you referring to his father?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Are you referring to his father?
    No, see, the joke was that I was trying to imply that his mother was a whore, but in less blunt terms. Clearly my wit is too complex for your feeble brain.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

- - - - -
    You wouldn't know from his use of the frame, but apparently John Ford wasn't all that taken with widescreen. The Horse Soldiers was a pleasant surprise.
    What's the most mystifying about this movie -- aside from how it could be such a pile of shit considering the cast and director -- is that it's sandwiched in time right in between two of Ford's best: The Searchers and Liberty Valance.]

Edit: I did think the rest of your take on it was interesting, though.

What's the most mystifying about this movie -- aside from how it could be such a pile of shit considering the cast and director -- is that it's sandwiched in time right in between two of Ford's best: The Searchers and Liberty Valance.

Edit: I did think the rest of your take on it was interesting, though.
    Ha, fair enough. Maybe I just watched it in the right mood or something, but it was a great time.

Somewhat related, I'm not quite sure why I've settled on Ford for this recent obsessive streak. I've only watched one foreign language film since the 2nd. I've needed Ford's trademark warmth lately to help me keep spirits high during some intense personal problems, I guess.
    Last 5 Viewed

No, see, the joke was that I was trying to imply that his mother was a whore, but in less blunt terms. Clearly my wit is too complex for your feeble brain.
    So what does it your say about your brain not able to detect his joke about relating the obvious connection with his mother to his father?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Didn't mean to trigger the best vs. favorite rating discussion again. I will try to exercise more responsible posting in the future.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Didn't mean to trigger the best vs. favorite rating discussion again. I will try to exercise more responsible posting in the future.
    I accept your apology.

I am off to my soccer game gents.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So what does it your say about your brain not able to detect his joke about relating the obvious connection with his mother to his father?
    I got that, but I thought he thought that I was implying that his father was ugly or something. We've ruined my brilliant joke with all this post-joke analysis.
    Last 5 Viewed

- - - - -
    I got that, but I thought he thought that I was implying that his father was ugly or something. We've ruined my brilliant joke with all this post-joke analysis.
    Not my favorite joke of yours, but probably the best one.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I do believe this is probably my favorite post ever by you. But it's simply not the best. And, while I think I definitely prefer this post, it just doesn't hold a candle to this.

Not my favorite joke of yours, but probably the best one.
    It was OK. 88/100.
    Last 5 Viewed

- - - - -
    It was OK. 88/100.
    Or, on Duke's scale: 88/38 +/- 3%

:lol:
    Last 5 Viewed

I kid because I love, guys. No homo. Well, actually, I haven't seen what Duke looks like, so maybe homo. Maybe.
    Last 5 Viewed

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Your method is too simple and you know it isn't true.
    Nope; but whateva, if separating best from favorite keeps you happy, then we can just agree to disagree.

[
    ]

I've just seen Possession and wow, what a wonderfully, gloriously insane movie. Anna's breakdown at the church and the train station, Heinrich randomly twitching on the staircase, the worst PI doing the worst tailing job ever... excellent stuff, alternately hilarious and horrifying, and much like most great comedies, sometimes both at the same time. I really don't know what to make of the ending, to be honest; the film is utterly confounding and maybe just a tad too long, but thanks to the wacked-out cinematography (perfect for representing the character's frame of mind) and dialogue (utterly charming in how hard it tries to be profound while still appearing to be gibberish), it's constantly entertaining.

:cry:

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Dude. Your 10 for L'Atalante is almost enough for me to overlook this, but uh, what's going on here?
    Says this guy -

The Time to Live and the Time to Die (Hou, 1986) **½
    This is like some payback for some mediocre French film I didn't love, isn't it?

Glad you liked A Summer at Grandpa's well enough. Are you going to watch Dust in the Wind next?

Some days (like today) I think the only two Woody Allen movies needed are Broadway Danny Rose and Deconstructing Harry. I mean, I know he's got other great films, but those two are, like... indispensable.

:lol:

I kid because I love, guys. No homo. Well, actually, I haven't seen what Duke looks like, so maybe homo. Maybe.
    www.facebook.com/Dukefrukem

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Says this guy -

This is like some payback for some mediocre French film I didn't love, isn't it?

Glad you liked A Summer at Grandpa's well enough. Are you going to watch Dust in the Wind next?
    Actually, just finished City of Sadness, never picked up Dust in the Wind. Will post thoughts on one or two Hou's asap.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Some days (like today) I think the only two Woody Allen movies needed are Broadway Danny Rose and Deconstructing Harry. I mean, I know he's got other great films, but those two are, like... indispensable.
    Haven't seen BDR (on my radar, obviously) and I do like Deconstructing Harry more than most MCers (it's inexplicably underrated here it seems), but it's posts like this that make you indispensible, Sven. There is likely no one else on this planet who shares this sentiment.

Actually, just finished City of Sadness, never picked up Dust in the Wind. Will post thoughts on one or two Hou's asap.
    I can't wait!

Haven't seen BDR (on my radar, obviously) and I do like Deconstructing Harry more than most MCers (it's inexplicably underrated here it seems), but it's posts like this that make you indispensible, Sven. There is likely no one else on this planet who shares this sentiment.
    Deconstructing Harry is the Woody film that people either love or people hate. Not too much middle ground with that one.

Found Come on Children consistently interesting, albeit more for anthropological reasons than cinematic ones. It has some beautiful interstitial shots of the surroundings of the country house where the titular children dwell, but the human subjects are all too aimless for King to really shape a compelling narrative from them, like he did in Warrendale and A Married Couple. Still, it's a consistently beguiling 'hanging out' movie as balmakboor pointed out, the Dylan-wannabe kid with the cool hats rules, and I kinda fell in love with all the girls in the bunch.

Dying at Grace later this week.