Page 2119 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 11191619201920692109211721182119212021212129216922192619 ... LastLast
Results 52,951 to 52,975 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    My laziness and unwillingness to look up how to properly spell names knows no bounds ritch:
    Sean Conway is a pretty familiar name, dude.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Never Let Me Go (Romanek, 2010) ***
    Really dude?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    I think you're being a bit kind (which is fine, since--by the end--the film has gone from alienating to inviting), but I guess I don't even see any opinion in your paragraph--just synopsis. What did you think about the film?

As I said in another thread, it's unique but awfully scattered. And, sure, occasionally its observation of eccentric human behavior is similar Dogtooth, but without the actual, convincing narrative frame necessary to shape it. This, consequently, made Dogtooth so significant, but without the framing makes Attenberg feel somewhat inconsequential and rather frivolous.
    I liked it obviously, but a lot of that like is for Labed's performance. I think she is wonderful as Marina. I do agree that Tsangari doesn't have a clear view of what she wants to present or at least doesn't convey her view to the viewer. I'm confused as to the significance of the industrial shots. I take it as maybe a parallel between Marina's sexual awakening and Greece's industrial awakening? Then again this doesn't make much sense, and seems to be adding to much gravitas to the film. I liked the idea of the film as an anthropological study of a girl having to make her way in life, and the need for extraneous shots are unnecessary. The kooky interludes of her "aping" various animals was at times amusing and sometimes distracting to the narrative, again that kookiness isn't necessary for the anthropological POV Tsangari is striving for. I I don't know if Tsangari will be a major voice in world cinema, but she will be for her country, which is great. I look forward to seeing what she does next, but I'm more excited to see Labed in Alps.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Really dude?
    I'd rate it the same. Better than the novel, for sure.

Here's the Attenberg trailer for those not in the know yet.

[youtube]2582qyfXOSs&feature=related[/youtube]

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Here's the Attenberg trailer for those not in the know yet.

[youtube]2582qyfXOSs&feature=related[/youtube]
    The aesthetic seems bland.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Melville
    I see what you mean and you even make it sound good. Even if it's all thematically sound though, my problems with the basic execution and tone remain.

Quote Quoting Melville
    You seem to be referring to cinematography alone. The whole film has a tactile grey grittiness to it, so I think visually it does its job well, but I was mostly thinking of the very punchy, often funny dialogue and performances.
    True, lately I've been mostly fixated with cinematography, choreography and editing, all mostly basic in here. Performances and dialogue weren't particularly remarkable- as I said, it comes off as too contrived and phony. I see how could you think it's funny but it may just be a far too bleak humor for me.

Quote Quoting Boner M
    I don't see Naked as being nihilistic; the music score seems consistently mournful of the nihilism and misanthropy displayed by its characters, and I think that's the attitude Leigh has as well. I think its title is more of a provocation than anything. After all, Leigh's style is hyper-natural rather than natural, characters larger-than-life in the David Lynch sense, with Manchester depicted as the post-apocalyptic wasteland* that Thewlis insists it'll become. It's more of an alternate reality sci-fi film than anything, imagining human affairs at their worst; the sad product of alienation and apathy taken to their logical endpoint. It's like a crotchety old man's vision of what the modern world has become, and in the best way. Plus, it's damn funny.
    Yeah I did feel like the film is set in an alternate reality, one where the world likely is, in fact, ending in a few years. That in some way complicitly legitimizes Thewlis' behavior; as much as it's lamenting nihilism, I feel that Naked hypocritically also indulges in it.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    So, transferring from the 2011 thread, anyone here seen any of Hideaki Anno's live action stuff? Love & Pop in particular looks really interesting.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Everything I love about the Coen brothers (potent imagery, unique dialogue, screwy sense of humor, a plot which minimizes exposition and lets the viewer do the heavy lifting, and a story so complex and thematically dense as to appear inscrutable- it's only lacking a long wordless sequence) is in The Man Who Wasn't There, a reimagining of the film-noir world where the source of trouble isn't dames or thugs, but the hero's own sense of insignificance in a world operating way above his comprehension. Easily one of their best movies, and probably the best-looking one.

Sean Conway is a pretty familiar name, dude.
    Say what?

Dead it was just him having fun making a movie with Sean Connery.
    Dude, I spelled that one right. Your joke makes little or no sense to me. Congrats.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Dude, I spelled that one right. Your joke makes little or no sense to me. Congrats.
    [img]popular Madman-related jpg[/img]

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Really dude?
    Yeah, I was really surprised by how much I liked it. Haven't read the book but I thought the muted tone worked in its favor. The understated melancholy & pervasive gray skies & overall rendering of regret and time's inexorable passage... I dunno, it just really struck a chord for me. Mulligan's performance is one the best in recent memory.

I think I may try and rerank everything on criticker again. Maybe I'll even try out of 100...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

First 150 movies ranked. Here is my top tier:

Tier 10 Films

Alien (1979) 100
    Children of Men (2006) 100
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's … (1975) 100
    Psycho (1960) 100
    The Thing (1982) 100
    The Departed (2006) 99
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) 97
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I L… (1964) 97
    Minority Report (2002) 97
    Collateral (2004) 96
    The Descent (2005) 96
    Born on the Fourth of July (1989) 95
    Akira (1988) 94
    Fight Club (1999) 94
    Kill Bill: Volume 1 (2003) 94
    The Iron Giant (1999) 94

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I just found it funny the way you worded that. I don't know about you, but I only enjoy movies that are entertaining.
    And what delivers solid entertainment more consistently than Georgian cinema!

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    The aesthetic seems bland.
    True, but it uses Suicide, so it can't be half-bad.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    And what delivers solid entertainment more consistently than Georgian cinema!
    I tried to think of something witty to respond with, but I can only come up with serious responses, and those are no fun.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

[img]popular Madman-related jpg[/img]
    Go read my western thread, beyotch :P

Going back through all of my viewing lists made since 2006, I'm starting to think that maybe using the 10 scale again is a good idea. But the 100 scale is mindless fun. The **** scale is just too restrictive, but its fun to use when rating CDs.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    So, transferring from the 2011 thread, anyone here seen any of Hideaki Anno's live action stuff? Love & Pop in particular looks really interesting.
    I've seen all 3 of his live action features. All about 5 to 6 years ago, though, and I'm afraid I can't talk too much about them. They're on my list of things to watch/rewatch this summer.

Love & Pop. I liked this a whole lot when I saw it. The aesthetic is interesting (a lot of it looks like the closing credits for His and Her Circumstances). It's a pretty inventive film that feels at home next to Evangelion.

Shiki-jitsu. I liked this quite a bit when I saw it, though less than L&P. In some ways, I found it unsatisfactory, and its psychology was a strange mixture of being simultaneously too pat and too arcane. Yet it's definitely worth watching. Recommend doing so after L&P.

Cutie Honey. It's a bubblegummy adaptation of a classic titillating magical girl anime. Anno busts out his old school, minimal-framerate anime action chops and applies them to the live-action medium with mixed results. It has an emotional core that I found surprisingly successful.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    True, but it uses Suicide, so it can't be half-bad.
    Indeed! The use of music in Attenberg is top-notch.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Millennium Actress was okay but the blurring of the lines between reality, fiction and fantasy wasn't nearly as well handled as in Perfect Blue. Here their overlapping is too neat, too clear and obvious, resulting in the emotional climax of the film, a montage intersecting all the planes of the story, being unengaging and overwrought. I also don't recall Kon's previous effort having a side-character doubling as comic relief and exposition man, like the cameraman here, to make sure I wasn't too confused. I did like the way this film subtly criticizes its two protagonists' pathetic obsessions by making Chiyoko's films, which they got so weepy about, a bunch of phony 'important' love stories (similar to how old Rose's tale in Titanic, emulating a bad wish-fulfillment romance novel, is obviously embellished so that everything makes her look as good and saintly as possible); it could have stood to criticize them a bit more, actually, since I still got the feeling that her devotion ultimately gets the story's sympathy. It's overall enjoyable and a little bit interesting, but clunkily executed and inert on a visceral level.

You know what actor I really enjoy and respect, despite the fact that he has never been in a very good film? Liev Schreiber. I mean, his modest mid-90's indie comedies are sweet, but--looking over his filmography--I really question his choices. There's not one noteworthy film, really.

You know what actor I really enjoy and respect, despite the fact that he has never been in a very good film? Liev Schreiber. I mean, his modest mid-90's indie comedies are sweet, but--looking over his filmography--I really question his choices. There's not one noteworthy film, really.
    Nice. Love him in Scream 2.. And I really like Manchurian Candidate, moreso then the original even.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    And I really like Manchurian Candidate, moreso then [sic] the original even.
    Really? I find that opinion certifiable. The original is so dreamy and effective, while the remake is just a heavy-handed showpiece of actors chewing scenery.

The Given Word takes a solid premise, and then, get this, it keeps building on it. From a butting of heads between catholic secularism and human willpower, to an examination of the deep roots of religion and social unrest in a melting pot culture. As a drama, it carries itself intelligently and allows us to connect with it, presenting an array of characters all with strong motivations and none clearly marked as good or bad, its protagonist as magnificent in his stubbornness as he is pitiable. As a thriller, it keeps expertly ratcheting up the tension, bringing more trials for Zé on a steady pace that leads to an explosive, Do the Right Thing-style climax. Stylistically, it's a lean, economical film; deceptively simple, each shot and cut carries maximum weight and impact. I guess you could say it's a pessimistic movie, but I think its heart is with the folks dancing and capoeira-ing in the church steps, the people who understand that religion and culture are just one of many facets of life and know not to take them deathly seriously. The best film I've seen this year so far, everyone watch it ASAP.

Well I mean, if he hasn't been in anything noteworthy at all then he probably hasn't had much opportunity to do so, unfortunately for him.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+