Page 2108 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 11081608200820582098210621072108210921102118215822082608 ... LastLast
Results 52,676 to 52,700 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    On the topic of Eastern Europe, what are your top 5 (or 10) Hungarian films? I'll admit to only being familiar with Tarr and Jancso, but they're all truly great and I'd like to delve deeper.

1. The Red and the White
    2. Satantango
    3. The Round Up
    4. Werckmeister Harmonies
    5. Damnation (well okay, this is maybe not truly great but I still dug it)
    1. The Red and the White (Jancsó)
    2. My Way Home (Jancsó)
    3. Love (Makk)
    4. Satantango (Tarr)
    5. Father (Szabó)

Szabó's short Variation of a Theme is also great. Of course I've probably only seen 5 other Hungarian films, and they're all by the same guys who directed the films above. That said I do feel strong enough with these five to list them as great.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Awesome. Love the Millennium Mambo av, too.
    Thanks! I find it easy to see so many ever since I quit the TV.

I'm not hot on the film, but the opening scene with her walking down that walkway! Perhaps the best sequence Hou directed? Well... the opening shot of Flowers of Shanghai probably trumps it, but damn if it still isn't amazing.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    500+

More during the rainy months before hiking/camping season hits.
    That's amazing. I will maybe make it to a tenth of that this year.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I've seen worse (or better?). Slant's Ed Gonzalez claims to watch 800+ movies a year according to his Top 10s page, or at least he was at the time he made the page.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair (Tarantino, 2003-04) ****
    How does this compare with your rating of the films separately? Also, could you tell if there was additional editing beyond putting the two pieces together? For example, did he tighten it up at all or change the chronology of the scenes?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    How does this compare with your rating of the films separately? Also, could you tell if there was additional editing beyond putting the two pieces together? For example, did he tighten it up at all or change the chronology of the scenes?
    Pretty much exactly the same ratingwise (both would get **** from me, though I slightly prefer Vol. 2). The editing of individual scenes and sequences is different, but not in a lot of places. The anime sequence was slightly longer with a few different shots, but the Pa Mei sequence was the most noticeably different. It had at least a dozen additional shots, including an extra couple minutes from before and right after Bill drops her off. It also felt tighter and had a more serious tone, which served the film better. Overall, the chronology was exactly the same, but it was broken up into 10 chapters, so I'm pretty sure there were sequences that were on their own in the original that were presented as a slightly extended chapters here. Honestly though, it's not a big enough difference to say you're missing much, but as a fan, it's definitely worth seeing.

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    2006-2009 had me watching three movies a day just about every day. Then I just kind of stopped...now it's only a movie every two days, which is still plenty but you know.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Which Jancso have you seen? Cantata is up your alley. It's like Malle's The Fire Within.
    I've seen The Red and the White and Red Psalm, neither of which I disliked. I have a feeling I'd appreciate them more now. Grabbing Cantata right now.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Mesrine: Killer Instict

Pretty good crime biopic. I like that it doesn't get bogged down with exposition and set up. It is only concerned with the stuff that makes for great crime cinema - mainly, the crime, and the story of the main character, Mesrine. As a matter of fact, there are only a few moments in the entire film that he is not on screen. It's his story, and his movie. Looking forward to watching part 2.

Pretty much exactly the same ratingwise (both would get **** from me, though I slightly prefer Vol. 2). The editing of individual scenes and sequences is different, but not in a lot of places. The anime sequence was slightly longer with a few different shots, but the Pa Mei sequence was the most noticeably different. It had at least a dozen additional shots, including an extra couple minutes from before and right after Bill drops her off. It also felt tighter and had a more serious tone, which served the film better. Overall, the chronology was exactly the same, but it was broken up into 10 chapters, so I'm pretty sure there were sequences that were on their own in the original that were presented as a slightly extended chapters here. Honestly though, it's not a big enough difference to say you're missing much, but as a fan, it's definitely worth seeing.
    Yep.

Also...

[
    ]

I don't know why Uma doesn't get more acclaim for her performance. She's on the same level as Naomi Watts in Mulholland Dr. for best female perfomances of the last decade.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Is the Michael Jai White fight edited back in?

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    No.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    No.
    Really? That's a major bummer.

I wonder why it's still not a full cut?

The House of Blue Leaves is in color thought, right?

I like a couple shots in that scene but the scene as a whole didn't work. It was right to be cut.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    That's amazing. I will maybe make it to a tenth of that this year.
    I've been working hard to amaze you Winston*.

I guess I'm on pace for 600 this year (150 through the first 3 months), but as I said, when the sun pops out my rate will drop. Also being out of country for a month will put a sizable gap in my viewing. I don't remember a time where I went that long without seeing a film.

The House of Blue Leaves is in color thought, right?
    Yup, and it's also slightly longer.
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yep.

Also...

[
    ]

I don't know why Uma doesn't get more acclaim for her performance. She's on the same level as Naomi Watts in Mulholland Dr. for best female perfomances of the last decade.
    Nice. The spoilered bit is how I would have hoped it to play out once edited back. Only other things I'm assuming could be altered drastically is The Bride's opening soliloquy to the audience at the beginning of Vol. 2, seeing as how it references the trailers to Vol. 1 and whatnot. Otherwise, I was lucky enough to get the Japanese DVD of Vol. 1 years ago, so when it comes to the first half, I can agree the extended anime portions and House of Blue Leaves battle (in addition to it being in colour) are very cool.

This was the one thing I also couldn't help but take away the most from watching both halves back to back for the first time since Vol. 2's opening weekend. Having taken much of it for granted around the time it came out, it wasn't until now did I really see how much of a varied, emotional, intimidating in a suave but undeniably strong way, and ultimately genuine performance it is, especially in the context of story that likes to amp up things above the ceiling of realism so often otherwise. Also, I forgot how amazing David Carradine is in it (and not just in a "suddenly thinking of something as great work because they've recently died"-sort of way). He's just so magnetic, especially when he carries those long monologues towards the end (the Superman / Clark Kent one being the most wordy but amazingly carried of them) and how he, just like Thurman, makes his character so cryptically amiable in a way that grounds him any time he's on screen, despite what conflicting ideas we should have about him otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Whole Bloody Affair, since I realized with that recent view how potentially endlessly watchable Kill Bill is as a film (plural or not), and how I wouldn't mind owning or seeing one more version of it, especially if it's the most definitive one.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I was under the impression that Tarantino was having Production I.G. put together a brand new extension of the anime sequence for the combined cut. Is this the same one that was in the original Japanese cut?

Hoping this makes it onto Blu-Ray before too long. Really looking forward to revisiting these films (which I could do now, but with the end of the wait in sight, I'm thinking I'll hold off for now). I drink my coffee out of a Kill Bill mug every morning.

I expected Centurion to be more fun than it is. Doomsday was more fun.

Neil Marshall loves his Lord of the Rings shots.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    ... Same goes with Yugoslavia and its baby countries ... Recommendations are always welcome.
    May I recommend Petrovic's Skupljaci perja from 1967, my second all-time-fav.? Might be called I Even Met Happy Gypsies outside the "baby countries"

Quote Quoting kuehnepips (view post)
    May I recommend Petrovic's Skupljaci perja from 1967, my second all-time-fav.? Might be called I Even Met Happy Gypsies outside the "baby countries"
    Bookmarked. Looks good. Thanks for the rec, though I'm not soitgoes. At least not yet.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Gypsy fetishist!
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I actually almost went with that one instead of Three, so yes you may recommend.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Bookmarked. Looks good. Thanks for the rec, though I'm not soitgoes. At least not yet.
    It's my recommendation jerk! Get your own!

[]