Page 1945 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 9451445184518951935194319441945194619471955199520452445 ... LastLast
Results 48,601 to 48,625 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Rather than have an actor, who worked with them on a previous film for which the actor wasn't nominated, not verbally felate them? Madness.
    Goddamn dude, seriously? I'd rather watch a clip from the actual performance than see someone who wasn't even involved with he film in the first place talk about it for ten minutes. Are you sure you watched the ceremony closely last year? It was brutal!!

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I'm convinced that was all about getting an Oprah moment.
    Never thought of that, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    Goddamn dude, seriously? I'd rather watch a clip from the actual performance than see someone who wasn't even involved with he film in the first place talk about it for ten minutes. Are you sure you watched the ceremony closely last year? It was brutal!!
    Your sarcasm detector has failed you.

I was actually using you to teach MacGuffin a lesson about sarcasm

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    We're talking around the same thing, really. We can come to terms an classify the compelling element to be a kind of "morbid interest," or we can split hairs.

If you're interested in the splitting hairs, I'll point out that by your logic, Casablanca and Woody Allen's Radio Days are both "war movies."
    No we're not really talking around, about or anywhere near the same thing actually. Most of the films I listed (in the list you asked for and then ignored) have combat scenes in them, but they are still not about soldiers being badasses. So you can set that straw man of yours on fire.

Because I find it laughable to believe that Mendes, of all people, managed to sneak some startling po-mo vision past the studios, the critics, and into theaters for you to enjoy.

The simplest explanation to a non-ending is just that; it's a letdown, it's bad, it's a narrative failure.

The biggest claim you can make is that they had no choice, they were locked into a bad ending because the source is a memoir.
    It's right there in the film. It's incredibly obvious that Mendes is purposefully withholding that release for the audience just as it's withheld from the marines. It's what the entire film is about. That doesn't make it a post-mod masterpiece, but it's clearly what the film is focused upon. To acknowledge that and then deny your acknowledgement is simply baffling.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    I was actually using you to teach MacGuffin a lesson about sarcasm
    Brilliantly played sir, I witnessed the entire affair. It shall henceforth be known as The Adam Affair.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    No we're not really talking around, about or anywhere near the same thing actually. Most of the films I listed (in the list you asked for and then ignored) have combat scenes in them, but they are still not about soldiers being badasses. So you can set that straw man of yours on fire.
    Did you actually read any of the posts around this conversation from last night? I did address lists similar to yours in other posts.

It's incredibly obvious that Mendes is purposefully withholding that release for the audience just as it's withheld from the marines. It's what the entire film is about.
    M-E-M-O-I-R, you obstinate jackass.

M-E-M-O-I-R, you obstinate jackass.
    You're turning into my favorite.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    ritch:
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

:lol: Came here to say this.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Yeah, I'd rather see clips too. Although at least put together a respectable montage for when they show the bits for east Best Pic nom. Those are even worse.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'd like them to work for it. Have the nominee stand up and do a brief key scene from the movie.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I think it should be a contest. No winner should be voted on, only the nominees. Then, each nominee should compete in like a spelling bee or one of those Minute-to-Win-It games. Reality TV is all the rage, so let's use it!
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'd like them to work for it. Have the nominee stand up and do a brief key scene from the movie.
    Every couple of years I toss something like the following out there (kinda related to your post):

I think the Oscar for film editing is bogus. It usually goes to either the film with the most film editing (you know, lots and lots of cuts and shit) or the film that wins BP. I don't think there is any way to know how impressive of a job the film editor did without seeing what he had to work with, the dailies, the mound of raw footage. The final product could mean anything. The director could've been a "John Ford" and edited in camera. He could've been a "Hitchcock" and storyboarded everthing really well. I'm not saying their editors didn't have room for some creativity and some mistakes in coverage to fix. I'm saying that editors who make a silk purse out of a sow's ear had a much greater challenge and did a more impressive job.

Editors who routinely turn a pile of who knows what into something great and compelling are documentary editors. Why aren't they ever nominated?

Maybe the Oscars should have a website where people, especially voters, can go and see examples of raw footage vs. finished scenes.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I think it should be a contest. No winner should be voted on, only the nominees. Then, each nominee should compete in like a spelling bee or one of those Minute-to-Win-It games. Reality TV is all the rage, so let's use it!
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Every couple of years I toss something like the following out there (kinda related to your post):

I think the Oscar for film editing is bogus. It usually goes to either the film with the most film editing (you know, lots and lots of cuts and shit) or the film that wins BP. I don't think there is any way to know how impressive of a job the film editor did without seeing what he had to work with, the dailies, the mound of raw footage. The final product could mean anything. The director could've been a "John Ford" and edited in camera. He could've been a "Hitchcock" and storyboarded everthing really well. I'm not saying their editors didn't have room for some creativity and some mistakes in coverage to fix. I'm saying that editors who make a silk purse out of a sow's ear had a much greater challenge and did a more impressive job.

Editors who routinely turn a pile of who knows what into something great and compelling are documentary editors. Why aren't they ever nominated?

Maybe the Oscars should have a website where people, especially voters, can go and see examples of raw footage vs. finished scenes.
    Ehh but this is true of anything no? I mean same thing goes for the performer who took a flat character and turned them into something memorable... or the director who took a bunch of crappy actors and a middling script and made the film stylistically brilliant... or the cinematographer who had a shoe string budget and could only afford one light but still managed to do something amazing.

That aside I do agree with you though that the Academy frequently rewards montage editing.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I think the reason they don't is that they assume since it's all editors who vote, then they should already know what they're voting for.
    Movie Theater Diary

I just realized after posting this that I am actually eating a pie right now, at my desk.

Woah.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Ehh but this is true of anything no? I mean same thing goes for the performer who took a flat character and turned them into something memorable... or the director who took a bunch of crappy actors and a middling script and made the film stylistically brilliant... or the cinematographer who had a shoe string budget and could only afford one light but still managed to do something amazing.

That aside I do agree with you though that the Academy frequently rewards montage editing.
    Yes, I agree with you. I'd like to see what the person created compared to what s/he had to work with in all categories.

Btw, I also think that costume and art direction are bogus. Why do the darn things always go to period films? Because they contain the most and prettiest costumes and sets. Who cares if all of the prettiness expresses nothing.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

I think the reason they don't is that they assume since it's all editors who vote, then they should already know what they're voting for.
    Editors, of all people, should know what I'm talking about. I think they all just huddle up and decide which friend they'll honor each year.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

To be fair though, I'm sure a seasoned editor can watch a movie and read between the cuts. Can actually imagine with fair accuracy what decisions were made and what challenges were faced.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

Btw, I also think that costume and art direction are bogus. Why do the darn things always go to period films? Because they contain the most and prettiest costumes and sets. Who cares if all of the prettiness expresses nothing.
    And Best Screenplay often go to the one with the snappiest dialogue, rather than the most intricate story as a whole. We can go on.
    Movie Theater Diary

And Best Screenplay often go to the one with the snappiest dialogue, rather than the most intricate story as a whole. We can go on.
    Yep. I guess it all just means that the Oscars are bogus.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

I believe that the editors select the nominees, but then the whole Academy votes on the winner. Isn't this how it works?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Yep. I guess it all just means that the Oscars are bogus.
    "The Oscars is one fucking beauty contest after another." - Paul Dano
    Movie Theater Diary

I believe that the editors select the nominees, but then the whole Academy votes on the winner. Isn't this how it works?
    Odd. I was always under the impression that the specific branches voted on the winners too, but it looks like you are right. Seems quite dumb. Reassuring to know that sound mixers are helping the The Academy determine Best Make-Up of the year.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2