Page 1881 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 8811381178118311871187918801881188218831891193119812381 ... LastLast
Results 47,001 to 47,025 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

There has to be a list of the worst of the worst when it comes to musicals.

I think the best musical where the music actually advances the plot is The Nightmare Before Christmas. The music is the plot.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This is something I find particularly irritating.

Very rarely do I actually like the songs being sung in musicals.

I find My Fair Lady a painful, atrocious movie due to this (and due to the fact that it's vapid and shallow). It's a film my parents, grandparents and sister love, and when it comes up on family movie night, I leave.
    You know which musical is extremely vapid and shallow? Oklahoma. Man I saw a production of that in a theater a couple years ago, holy god, the entire thing builds up to a disgusting kangaroo court and everyone leaves happy after a horrible miscarriage of justice. Jesus murphy. Poor Jud indeed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Rodgers and Hammerstein suck in general.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

The plot to Singin' in the Rain is ridiculous. It skates by on charm and some solid dancing and comedic bits. It also annoys me that there's no "g" in the title. Just... just put the "g" in. Please.

But the extended dream sequence dance bit is too much for me. Cyd Charisse has great legs, and Gene Kelly is a great dancer, but it halts the entire film just to show off.

I like musicals-- I do-- but they often focus on either the plot or the music. Either it's an interesting and well-thought-out plot with forgettable songs thrown in, or else the music is complex and interesting, but the plot is just threads holding the musical pieces together. It's rare to find a film that really balances both.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    You know which musical is extremely vapid and shallow? Oklahoma. Man I saw a production of that in a theater a couple years ago, holy god, the entire thing builds up to a disgusting kangaroo court and everyone leaves happy after a horrible miscarriage of justice. Jesus murphy. Poor Jud indeed.
    Yes. Some good songs, but the plot is sort of horrific.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Rodgers and Hammerstein suck in general.
    Very dated, as well. Quite a bit of racism/misogyny in both songs and plot. But they did write some catchy, singable tunes.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    It's rare to find a film that really balances both.

Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Also, a lot of musicals just follow the formula of action films with the numbers replacing set pieces. Watching one guy chasing another guy for 15 minutes isn't exactly the most efficient way to further the plot.
    Ding ding ding.

Since when is it a bad thing to have awesome sequences in movies?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I think Dean Stockwell singing Candy Colored Clown is the closest thing to a musical I like.

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    I think Dean Stockwell singing Candy Colored Clown is the closest thing to a musical I like.
    That's Roy Orbison's "In Dreams."
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    That's Roy Orbison's "In Dreams."
    Really?! I thought that was his original work.

Really?! I thought that was his original work.
    We may be speaking about different things. Are you referring to him lip-syncing in Blue Velvet?
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    We may be speaking about different things. Are you referring to him lip-syncing in Blue Velvet?
    Sarcasm just isn't the same on the internets.

Sarcasm just isn't the same on the internets.
    I had a feeling.:P

Regardless, you called the song by the wrong name, so I reserve the right to chide you.
    Last 5 Viewed

I love both Singin' in the Rain and Grease.

But I can't really think about either at the moment. I finally watched my Bluray of The Godfather and fuck that movie is brilliant. I saw it for the first time about 30 years ago and no movie has played a bigger role in my love of cinema. I've seen it probably 20 times over the years. Big screen. Little screen. Beta. VHS. DVD. And now BR. And watching it tonight was such a powerful experience that it was like seeing it for the first time. Plus the Hi-def experience drew my attention to a myriad of details in the art direction that I hadn't noticed before. Part II will be in my player soon (I own the boxset) and I expect to be similarly blown away all over again. I actually prefer it to part I.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Iron Man was pretty good. Jeff Bridges looks totally bad ass with a bald head and a beard. That's a damn good look.

It's a little too long, and I lost interest after Iron Man's attack on the terrorist dudes, but over all I liked it quite a bit. There are some really nice shots, and Downey Jr. is good as always.

Definitely liked it better than the completely mediocre reboot of The Hulk - man, what a giant step backwards that thing was. I also enjoyed it more than The Dark Knight.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I like musicals-- I do-- but they often focus on either the plot or the music. Either it's an interesting and well-thought-out plot with forgettable songs thrown in, or else the music is complex and interesting, but the plot is just threads holding the musical pieces together. It's rare to find a film that really balances both.
    I know it has many detractors around here and my wife disregards it because she doesn't like Judy Garland's hairstyle, but I've always loved Meet Me in St. Louis. And I think it has both a great story and great songs. So does The Wizard of Oz. Yeah, Garland rocked.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

I think Hereafter needs to be seen just to see how big of a trainwreck Eastwood has made.

I think the FFC review hits it on the head on how Eastwood makes a film literally about nothing. There are characters and story strands that are introduced and then forgets about them five minutes later.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I hate Grease. Not as much as I hate The Sound of Music, but its close. Hey lets do a 50s movie that's annoying, cloy, cheese, and cliche! Hurray!

And don't get me started on The Sound of Music. That's hours of my life that I still want back. I actually rooted for the Nazis in that one.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven
    Also, a lot of musicals just follow the formula of action films with the numbers replacing set pieces. Watching one guy chasing another guy for 15 minutes isn't exactly the most efficient way to further the plot.
    Exactly; action is the closest genre to musical, in that both have a tendency to include showy set-pieces at the expense of pacing.

Quote Quoting number8
    Since when is it a bad thing to have awesome sequences in movies?
    If a sequence could easily be cut out of a movie or shortened considerably, it ceases to be awesome.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    speaking of Musicals... I saw Chicago on Broadway last night.

Not bad... not bad at all.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I loathe musicals, but I grew up in a house with women who watched them over and over. My sister would watch Grease five times a day, back to back, and stand in front of the tv doing the dances and singing.

I fucking hate Grease with every fiber of my being, but that's her fault. Not the film's.

Today:

Robinson Crusoe On Mars
    Revange
    (Finishing up) Red Riding Trilogy

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I loathe musicals, but I grew up in a house with women who watched them over and over. My sister would watch Grease five times a day, back to back, and stand in front of the tv doing the dances and singing.

I fucking hate Grease with every fiber of my being, but that's her fault. Not the film's.
    My dad has hated Travolta ever since Saturday Night Fever for similar reasons. There was such a craze surrounding him at the time that he just got sick of him forever. I remember when Look Who's Talking came out, he was all like "Wait... isn't that the guy from SNF and Grease?! I hate him":P

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Question: Why do some movies "expire" for instant viewing on Netflix?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?