Page 1880 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 8801380178018301870187818791880188118821890193019802380 ... LastLast
Results 46,976 to 47,000 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I decided not to see Hereafter, but instead watch another similar movie about near-death experience and the fascination of the line between life and death after post-national disaster. I think I made the right choice. Fearless is awesome. It's only drawback is that it's a bit dated (hard to fault), but the melodrama here never feels forced or spoonfed. This is probably Bridges best work in his already illustrious career. The plane crash scene is probably one of the most intense disaster scenes ever filmed. It was masterfully directed in every way.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm going through a Carpenter bender this week.
    One of the best benders one which one can be.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Working hard to articulate something through writing, only to accidently lose it by closing the wrong tab in my browser, makes me never want to write anything again.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I decided not to see Hereafter, but instead watch another similar movie about near-death experience and the fascination of the line between life and death after post-national disaster. I think I made the right choice. Fearless is awesome. It's only drawback is that it's a bit dated (hard to fault), but the melodrama here never feels forced or spoonfed. This is probably Bridges best work in his already illustrious career. The plane crash scene is probably one of the most intense disaster scenes ever filmed. It was masterfully directed in every way.
    Great movie indeed. My favorite from Weir by a longshot.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The concept is cool for sure, I think some of the scenes could have been cut entirely or shortened. It's a lot of build up for a very weak climax.
    What I appreciate more about the movie is the character and psychology of Travis Bickle. There's a ton of shots in this movie that I didn't pick up on the first time, second time, or third time I saw it. His direction could've easily swayed him into doing something entirely different based on just a few moments. The result is obvious, but it's everything leading up to it that makes me appreciate it.

I hear there's an amazing commentary from Scorsese, but I can't find it anywhere.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Going back a couple pages, I don't think it's a problem to have characters all speak English even if the film is set in a different country, so long as the characters would acually share a common language. That's just a theatrical convention that we can agree to accept, much like we can agree to accept that people will sing to each other in a musical. (Never mind that some people are unwilling to accept even this convention. They are silly people and not to be trusted in these matters.)

A bigger issue is a film like Planet of the Apes in which the space travellers are not at all surprised to find that they can understand and communicate easily with a "distant" civilization.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Now John Carpenter's Dark Star is a pretty damn cool movie I just finished watching. If it wasn't for it's technical shortcomings it might rival 2001. What is done well is some of the dark humor. But the movie doesn't age well at all. A space alien as a beach ball makes it hard to be immersed in the story.
    Taxi Driver has a weak climax...

Dark Star could rival 2001...

No and no.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Maybe I'm thinking of a different movie, but wasn't Dark Star supposed to be a little tongue-in-cheek?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Maybe I'm thinking of a different movie, but wasn't Dark Star supposed to be a little tongue-in-cheek?
    Completely, the last scene features a guy surfing in space towards a planet.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    (Never mind that some people are unwilling to accept even this convention. They are silly people and not to be trusted in these matters.)
    :sad:

Yeah I often don't care for musicals because they feature people randomly busting into song and dance. So I'm with yah on this, KF. Unless your thinking of something different.

I'm now curious about finally watching Dark Star. Considering I really love Carpenter. Which reminds me-I still own In The Mouth of Madness, but I haven't watched it yet.

Oh and Taxi Driver is a great movie, but I think I need to rewatch my copy of it again, as I feel I missed certain things about it. I wonder if a second viewing would result in me thinking even higher of it, or just sticking with my original rating. Travis Bickle is one of the best roles Di Niro ever played, no doubt about that.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

My problem with musicals isn't that people randomly start singing, it's that most of the time, the song and dance is there merely as a show-stopper, with little bearing on the plot or themes. Like, was the 15-minute movie-within-a-movie pitch really necessary in Singin' in the Rain? I probably owe the movie a rewatch, but still.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    My problem with musicals isn't that people randomly start singing, it's that most of the time, the song and dance is there merely as a show-stopper, with little bearing on the plot or themes. Like, was the 15-minute movie-within-a-movie pitch really necessary in Singin' in the Rain? I probably owe the movie a rewatch, but still.
    My favorite part about that is how stupidly they work it into the story. It has no resemblance at all to the movie they've already made, so the one guy suggests they make the French Revolution scenes into a dream. The hell? That's a terrible idea.

I do not understand why anyone would have a problem with characters bursting into songs.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I do not understand why anyone would have a problem with characters bursting into songs.
    To me, it is as absurd as wondering why all the people in Miyazaki films look like cartoons.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with the logic of a musical...that's just silly.

But I can understand not being particularly fond of musicals. Because I'm not particularly fond of musicals.

There are, of course, exceptions. But it's not a genre I actively seek out.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    My favorite part about that is how stupidly they work it into the story. It has no resemblance at all to the movie they've already made, so the one guy suggests they make the French Revolution scenes into a dream. The hell? That's a terrible idea.
    Haha, yes. That's one of my biggest irks, all their celebrating and joyous love-making after coming up with this idea that's in no way guaranteed to work out at all.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

People who don't like musicals are my least favorite type of people.
    People who like bad musicals are my second least favorite.

Though I like musicals with regular dialogue and the odd song and/or dance number. I hate movies that are entirely sung. It's bloody annoying and cloying - mainly because music is so subjective, and if you don't like the "tune", it's two hours of hell.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I don't necessarily have a problem with musicals. I have a problem with Golden Age Hollywood musicals. They are usually too saccharine for my tastes.

Rewatching Get Shorty on TV. This is an extremely entertaining movie.

Like, was the 15-minute movie-within-a-movie pitch really necessary in Singin' in the Rain? I probably owe the movie a rewatch, but still.
    Arguably my favorite part of the film.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Was the 15 minute scene with Alfred Molina in Boogie Nights really necessary?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's bloody annoying and cloying - mainly because music is so subjective, and if you don't like the "tune", it's two hours of hell.

This is something I find particularly irritating.

Very rarely do I actually like the songs being sung in musicals.

I find My Fair Lady a painful, atrocious movie due to this (and due to the fact that it's vapid and shallow). It's a film my parents, grandparents and sister love, and when it comes up on family movie night, I leave.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Was the 15 minute scene with Alfred Molina in Boogie Nights really necessary?
    Well, that brilliant extended shot on Walberg at the end of the scene is arguably the turning point in the film and the extended absurdity of the entire thing kind of leads up to that.

But I know what you're saying. It could serve no function whatsoever, and no one would complain because being awesome for the sake of awesome isn't the worst thing in the world either.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Also, a lot of musicals just follow the formula of action films with the numbers replacing set pieces. Watching one guy chasing another guy for 15 minutes isn't exactly the most efficient way to further the plot.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2