Page 1871 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 87113711771182118611869187018711872187318811921197123712871 ... LastLast
Results 46,751 to 46,775 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    There's a subs link on KG, but I'm not sure if it will fit your file.
    Nice thanks, I'll grab it again if not.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Harmony Korine sucks my balls.
    Agreed!

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Should I go see The Leopard on the big screen tomorrow?
    Yes, but I'll take this as an opportunity to reiterate my dissenting opinion that I find the film to be too stately and tasteful for its own good. I prefer Rocco and His Brothers and The Damned.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Should I go see The Leopard on the big screen tomorrow?
    I did, and you should.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Grave of the Fireflies. Maybe it's because it had been hyped to be the ultimate, soul-crushingly depressing film, but the sentimentality often felt forced (like, a main character dies and then we get 20 flashbacks of them set to weepy music), as opposed to Miyazaki's work, which feels a lot more natural and less labored to me. Still a good film, but I can't say it did a whole lot for me.

Random question, and I know it's come up before, but what's the proper way to list Chinese names? Is it Zhang Yimou or Yimou Zhang? Jia Zhangke or Zhang Ke Jia?

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Random question, and I know it's come up before, but what's the proper way to list Chinese names? Is it Zhang Yimou or Yimou Zhang? Jia Zhangke or Zhang Ke Jia?
    It doesn't matter as long as you're consistent, but last name first is how they roll.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Westernization is fairly inconsistent in adapting director's names. Many times we adapt them to the Western format, such as Hayao Miyazaki, Akira Kurosawa and so forth. But we go with Wong Kar-Wai in the proper order, same with Zhang Yimou (I've seen it both ways over here, but the Eastern format seems more prevalent).

Not sure what determines it other than maybe how popular they are over here, but I imagine WKW is pretty well known in cinema circles that actually watch foreign cinema, so who knows. It does seem we westernize Japanese names far more than Chinese/HK names. Again, maybe that has to do with Japanese cinema being more integrated into western cinema viewings.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Between Glass's evocative music and the generally stimulating discussions from Robert McNamara, Morris's The Fog of War is easily the best thing I've seen in the past month or so. Constantly challenging and intellectually provocative.

The Thin Blue Line is now much higher on my radar.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

"Harmony Korine sucks my balls."

I never quite understood why this would be used as a derogatory. Getting your balls sucked is actually quite enjoyable. And if you have a problem with the sucker being Mr. Korine, just close your eyes and imagine Teagan Presley.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Between Glass's evocative music and the generally stimulating discussions from Robert McNamara, Morris's The Fog of War is easily the best thing I've seen in the past month or so. Constantly challenging and intellectually provocative.

The Thin Blue Line is now much higher on my radar.
    The Thin Blue Line sucks my balls.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Fast, Cheap and Out of Control is my favourite Morris film. Mole rats.

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    The Thin Blue Line sucks my balls.
    I was really confused by this post until I clicked on the previous page.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Vernon, Florida for me. But really, his first three films are all awesome. I seem to be less enamored than most with Fog of War (I found McNamara almost too cunning for Morris' inquiries and remained generally uninterested) and I didn't care much at all for Standard Operating Procedure. I really do need to see Fast, Cheap and Out of Control.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Vernon, Florida for me. But really, his first three films are all awesome. I seem to be less enamored than most with Fog of War (I found McNamara almost too cunning for Morris' inquiries and remained generally uninterested) and I didn't care much at all for Standard Operating Procedure. I really do need to see Fast, Cheap and Out of Control.
    Mr Death is also worth watching.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Westernization is fairly inconsistent in adapting director's names. Many times we adapt them to the Western format, such as Hayao Miyazaki, Akira Kurosawa and so forth. But we go with Wong Kar-Wai in the proper order, same with Zhang Yimou (I've seen it both ways over here, but the Eastern format seems more prevalent).

Not sure what determines it other than maybe how popular they are over here, but I imagine WKW is pretty well known in cinema circles that actually watch foreign cinema, so who knows. It does seem we westernize Japanese names far more than Chinese/HK names. Again, maybe that has to do with Japanese cinema being more integrated into western cinema viewings.
    It might be that we expect surnames to be longer than first names, or at least I expect that, and Akira Kurosawa is westernized because the first name has three syllables while the last name has four, while the westernized Yimou Zhang runs into a problem, because the first name has two syllables while the last name has one, so we keep it Zhang Yimou because that way we we preserve the longer last name, even though it's not the last name, but that's how we read it. Same for Wong Kar-Wai.

That was it for today's completely random guess. Tune in for more tomorrow!
    Last Film Loved

Mulholland Drive (Lynch)

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    "Harmony Korine sucks my balls."

I never quite understood why this would be used as a derogatory. Getting your balls sucked is actually quite enjoyable. And if you have a problem with the sucker being Mr. Korine, just close your eyes and imagine Teagan Presley.
    But I expect sucking your balls over and over again would prove to be an intensely unsatisfactory experience. As such, it would constitute due punishment for someone who has pained you, and who thus has to repay you by, not only suffering by having to suck your balls, but sucking your balls so that you erase the memory of the sucker's film by indulging in something that, as you put it, is "quite enjoyable."
    Last Film Loved

Mulholland Drive (Lynch)

I have never met anyone who has complained about having his balls sucked too much. I suspect that will always remain the case.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I can see there being such a thing. I dunno about anyone else, but it's pretty sensitive down there. Sucking them for a few seconds at a time in between focusing on the, err, main attraction, is way to go, says I.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

You know, next time any one of us is wondering why more girls don't post here, we can refer back to the past two pages.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I have never met anyone who has complained about having his balls sucked too much. I suspect that will always remain the case.
    But I meant to point out that the punishment is for the sucker, not the suck...ee.

Yeah.
    Last Film Loved

Mulholland Drive (Lynch)

Quote Quoting Beau (view post)
    But I meant to point out that the punishment is for the sucker, not the suck...ee.

Yeah.
    True, but unless the person saying "[Insert name] sucks my balls" is some sort of sadist who wishes to punish people he doesn't like by having them suck his balls, you'd think he'd appreciate that person's continued efforts to please him. At this point, I'm going to take a step back from this conversation and admire from afar that this has actually become a topic of debate here.

True, but unless the person saying "[Insert name] sucks my balls" is some sort of sadist who wishes to punish people he doesn't like by having them suck his balls, you'd think he'd appreciate that person's continued efforts to please him. At this point, I'm going to take a step back from this conversation and admire from afar that this has actually become a topic of debate here.
    Distant admiration sounds good to me, too.
    Last Film Loved

Mulholland Drive (Lynch)

You know, next time any one of us is wondering why more girls don't post here, we can refer back to the past two pages.
    :lol:

Or any of the previous 1500+ for that matter.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    :lol:

Or any of the previous 1500+ for that matter.
    Hey, girls* have accounted for about 3% of the total posts in this thread. That's proportional to their percent of the total population, right?

*Girls - Philosophe rouge, Mara and a sprinkling of others