Page 1865 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 86513651765181518551863186418651866186718751915196523652865 ... LastLast
Results 46,601 to 46,625 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Absolutely. Just absurd. It all culminated with the warden riding that ladder onto the train. Ridiculous. And I'm embarrassed for the Academy that Roberts and Voight were nominated for those performances, Roberts less so than Voight. Everything they said and did seemed so rehearsed, even when they interrupted each other or gave a look to express their feelings.
    A movie with a strong reputation on this board cannot have daredevilry involving a prison warden boarding a train from a moving chopper? This was clearly a very personal matter for the man, his loathing for Manny evident. Fine, I don't think this was explained, but I think it shone through in the movie. Although I suppose 9 out of 10 times the smart thing to do is just track the train until it crashes or comes to a halt, then arrest Voight at gunpoint.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Although I suppose 11 out of 10 times the smart thing to do is just track the train until it crashes or comes to a halt, then arrest Voight at gunpoint.
    Fixed.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I haven't seen the film in forever, but I remember that, either distinctly mentioned or implied, the decision to direct the train towards the dead end was made with the knowledge that those on board would almost surely die. Considering (again, from my memory) the warden's rather extreme hatred of Voight's character (they seemed to me rather classicly-inspired arch nemeses) he would see to it that he personally would want to capture his nemesis as opposed to seeing him either die or (somehow) escape.

Sure it's far-fetched. So what? It doesn't strike me as some out-of-the-ordinary decision for action cinema.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Yeah I mean it didn't seem to me like anything about the film's approach was aimed at realism.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Yeah, this was my sole critique of the film, too. Its eroticism and social critique are astounding for 1960, and it suggests so much of a national cinema that is not being released here, unlike the Japanese national cinema. I wondered if Kim might have been afraid that he'd made too serious of a film and felt as though he needed to allay spectators' fears. If that's not it, I'm at a loss of why he'd make this decision.
    Well, from what I've read, The Housemaid seems very much in line with his other films of that era. It seems to be a Hitchcock/Clouzot film with a heavy dose of Japanese influence.

I have two other of his films that I'm going to watch. They are (with synopses):

Yangsan Island (1955) - "Two lovers are forced into suicide as the only way to maintain their forbidden love."

Goryeo jang (1963) - "Prior to the adoption of Confucianism, it was the tradition to abandon one's parents on a mountainside if they were over 70 years of age. In the ancient kingdom of Goryeo, now modern Korea, a nobleman defies this tradition when he refuses to leave his mother to starve to death."

Both films sound just as dark, and both films sound eerily similar to Japanese films. Yangsan Island synopsis could also work for Shinoda's Double Suicide, and Goryeo jang takes a tradition that was put on screen twice in Japan in the Ballad of Narayama.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I am looking forward to the remake, which should be interesting in its own right. At the very least, it'll be released here in the States at some point.
    I'm more interested in the two films Kim made that are remakes of The Housemaid, than of the newest version.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I haven't seen the film in forever, but I remember that, either distinctly mentioned or implied, the decision to direct the train towards the dead end was made with the knowledge that those on board would almost surely die. Considering (again, from my memory) the warden's rather extreme hatred of Voight's character (they seemed to me rather classicly-inspired arch nemeses) he would see to it that he personally would want to capture his nemesis as opposed to seeing him either die or (somehow) escape.

Sure it's far-fetched. So what? It doesn't strike me as some out-of-the-ordinary decision for action cinema.
    Well, whatever the intention of the film, it didn't work for me at all. I understood that the warden wanted to be the one to take Voight down, but that doesn't change the fact that the execution of that scene was ridiculous. I was actually digging the film until they boarded the train. From that moment on, it proceeded to get worse and worse, until I was actually laughing at the forced melodrama by film's end.

Well, whatever the intention of the film, it didn't work for me at all. I understood that the warden wanted to be the one to take Voight down, but that doesn't change the fact that the execution of that scene was ridiculous. I was actually digging the film until they boarded the train. From that moment on, it proceeded to get worse and worse, until I was actually laughing at the forced melodrama by film's end.
    Well it's obvious that for quality Konchalovsky you should've gone with Tango & Cash.

Test Footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly

I love Back to the Future, but I feel like the film might have been better with Stoltz.

I love Back to the Future, but I feel like the film might have been better with Stoltz.
    Not that I have anything in particular against Stoltz, but why would you think this? Fox is clearly the more charismatic of the two.

Yeah a Stoltz BttF wouldn't have been as much fun.

That's why they replaced him, no? He kinda appeared more seriously disturbed by the time travel and not as jokey as Fox's performance.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Not that I have anything in particular against Stoltz, but why would you think this? Fox is clearly the more charismatic of the two.
    For the same reason they replaced him. I think a more distraught, intense Marty would have been more interesting. The humor would have been more subtle rather than the slapstick-ish humor we get from Marty. Stoltz would have been an interesting foil for Doc through the film.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    But that doesn't really mesh with Zemeckis' entire vibe with the film (and franchise). Not saying your version wouldn't be interesting too, but it isn't at all what the original is intending. There really isn't any time or room (not to mention no need) for more pathos in Marty's portrayal.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    But that doesn't really mesh with Zemeckis' entire vibe with the film (and franchise). Not saying your version wouldn't be interesting too, but it isn't at all what the original is intending. There really isn't any time or room (not to mention no need) for more pathos in Marty's portrayal.
    Oh, right, I'm not suggesting that Stoltz would have worked better in Zemeckis' vision, just that he would have made an interesting Marty had they taken things in a different direction.

EDIT: I guess the wording in my original post is misleading. My mistake.

I think a version with a young Samuel L. Jackson would be neat.

I mean think of the social implications when a young Samuel L. goes back to the 50's?!?

I would like to one day leave an all-night party at a ritzy mansion to discover a jazz quartet still playing music on the back lawn. Of course it also wouldn't hurt to be able to exude coolness like Marcello Mastroianni.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    I mean think of the social implications when a young Samuel L. goes back to the 50's?!?
    At the very least, they would avoid the offensive implication that Chuck Berry stole his music from a white man.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    At the very least, they would avoid the offensive implication that Chuck Berry stole his music from a white man.
    Yeah, but McFly stole his music from Chuck Berry. Uh-oh... *head boom*

Thanks for posting that. I've known about the Stoltz thing for many years, but have never seen footage.

I think he is certainly more convincing as the son of Crispin Glover, if nothing else.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Any thoughts on the Leigh's, Raiders? I was a little let down by Abigail's but I liked more than you did, it seems.

Weekend:

Dark Passage
    The Terence Davies Trilogy
    Crime in the Streets
    (Siegel)
    I'm Still Here or The Town
    Close-up

Weekend:
    Valhalla Rising
    Buried

Death at a Funeral
    Fires on the Plain
    Secret of their Eyes

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm having a lot of fun sketching. I've got a long ways to go, but it's still satisfying, even with my amateur discipline. Don't know what's up with the Seussian window on the left, and I hurriedly used Photo Booth to take the picture, so it's blurry. STILL.

Wit is a tough and special kind of film. It doesn't really go in the direction we'd expect a Hollywood drama to go - it focuses almost exclusively on the physical pain, the indignities and the dehumanization of a cancer patient. Every actor is perfectly cast, and Emma Thompson is incredible. It's a subject that might hit too close to home for a lot of people and the screenplay doesn't glorify the cancer struggle - in fact, it accurately portrays most doctors as assholes - so I wouldn't widely recommend the film and yet it's very much worth watching, the best I've seen from Mike Nichols, maybe.

Then I saw Midway. I don't remember ever having so much trouble traying to stay awake during a film. And I mean, look at the cast list - Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, James Coburn, Glenn Ford, Hal Holbrook, Toshiro Mifune, Robert Mitchum, Robert Wagner, Pat Morita, etc. None of those actors can't keep the film from being a terrific bore, mostly made up of people talking their asses off in war rooms. I think that this type of Hollywood production was outdated and obsolete in 1976, and it shows in the general lack of enthusiasm.

I'm sure this will get zero response, but Stanislav Barabas' A Story of the Grey Pigeon is a great never heard of film. A coming-of-age story set in rural Slovakia during WWII. The story is very much filtered through the eyes of three children. Barabas does a good job of keeping much of the horrors of war off-screen. The viewer knows what's going to happen even when the children's innocence clouds their perception of the events. This would make for a wonderful double feature with Clémént's Forbidden Games. I hope those with KG accounts check this out.