Page 1780 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 78012801680173017701778177917801781178217901830188022802780 ... LastLast
Results 44,476 to 44,500 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Just saw The Box. Awesome movie.

I can't believe Warner Bros. had faith thinking this film would have mass appeal.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Was gonna post this in the horror thread, but probably better here.

Without a conscious decision and only realized through a series of retroactive examinations, I've concluded that the movies I cherish most are the ones that make me sad, upset or angry. It might explain my continuing waning interest in comedies, cult movies and trashy horror, all of which I used to convince myself I adore. Either I've been fighting my original pretentious nature or I'm subconsciously preparing myself for an easily explainable mass murder.
    This is exactly why I love horror movies so much. I made a post about this a few months ago... in a particular thread. I don't think it either of those; I just think those emotions are more commonly shared among people, which is why we want to see revenge in movies, why we want to feel fear and why we want continue to support disaster movies. We are violent by nature.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)

I can't believe Warner Bros. had faith thinking this film would have mass appeal.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES.

What'd you think of the score from The Arcade Fire?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This is exactly why I love horror movies so much. I made a post about this a few months ago... in a particular thread. I don't think it either of those; I just think those emotions are more commonly shared among people, which is why we want to see revenge in movies, why we want to feel fear and why we want continue to support disaster movies. We are violent by nature.
    Your assessment seems pretty off to me. Remember, you like these things more than a lot of other people. And being somewhat titillated by violent images does not reveal all of humanity to be fundamentally violent. Not to deny that violence is a strong component of human nature by any means, but this strikes me as cynical and possibly self-justifying.

It might sound like a pretty vague cliche, but I've always thought that we like violent horror films because they remind us that we're alive - because they're visceral, often both visually and emotionally. Gets the adrenaline pumping, gets the juices flowing. I don't think there's any inherent attraction to the violence by itself, though.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

I've been wanting to see this ever since it came to theaters but haven't had the chance. It's going to premiere on, I think, Cinemax this weekend, so I'll be catching it then. I was surprised at how bad the reviews were for this, but I love movies and shows based on Richard Matheson stories, so I don't imagine it's that bad.
    The Last Exorcism (Stamm, 2010) - **½
    The Karate Kid (Zwart, 2010) - ***
    Date Night (Levy, 2010) - **½
    Toy Story 3 (Unkrich, 2010) - ****
    The Kids Are All Right (Cholodenko, 2010) - ***
    Mrs. Henderson Presents (Frears, 2005) - ***
    Black Sunday (Frankenheimer, 1977) - **½
    The Hands That Rocks the Cradle (Hanson, 1992) - **½

Who gave it a positive review? Meeeee.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting RoadtoPerdition (view post)
    I've been wanting to see this ever since it came to theaters but haven't had the chance. It's going to premiere on, I think, Cinemax this weekend, so I'll be catching it then. I was surprised at how bad the reviews were for this, but I love movies and shows based on Richard Matheson stories, so I don't imagine it's that bad.
    People either seem to love it or hate it. I personally thought it was fantastic and can't wait to pick it up on bluray. Pretty much every friend I have (generally the more mainstream type) did NOT like it. I understand, though. Its not a clear cut written film, but that's why I like it. I like when a film pushes me to solve the plot on my own.

Yeah, I liked The Box more than I ever thought I'd like a Richard Kelly film. Not great, but an odd, intriguing film.

Quote Quoting Spinal
    The film allows you to understand each of the character's motivations and allows you to understand why they are acting the way they are. However, it suggests that from the outside, all of this stuff would seem crazy. I think it falls well short of misanthropy and is nothing to get worked up over. It's basically a paraphrase of 'Lord, what fools these mortals be.' You may as well accuse Shakespeare of misanthropy for writing A Midsummer Night's Dream. But then, you're the one who thinks Buster Keaton is a hateful asshole, so maybe you would.
    Yeah, but all their motivations are so shallow. Cox writes a memoir just to get back at the CIA, Harry wants to have sex with tons of women while still being with his wife, Chad wants money and a cheap thrill, Linda thinks she's worthless without cosmetic surgery... They're simple, one-note characters, made to be mocked.

The Box starts well, but gets worse and worse and worse as it goes along. By the end, I was actively annoyed by it.

The Coens have yet to make a comedy that has caused me to laugh out loud. Their "comedies" are genial, well-drawn, immersive....but not all that funny.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Man, trans - you don't like anything good. Except for A Serious Man and Where The Wild Things Are, apparantly.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

The Coens have yet to make a comedy that has caused me to laugh out loud. Their "comedies" are genial, well-drawn, immersive....but not all that funny.
    Their comedies are, imo, their best work.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The Box starts well, but gets worse and worse and worse as it goes along. By the end, I was actively annoyed by it.
    This is how I feel about the Coens highly reguarded drama, I.e. No Country and Fargo.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Yeah, but all their motivations are so shallow. Cox writes a memoir just to get back at the CIA, Harry wants to have sex with tons of women while still being with his wife, Chad wants money and a cheap thrill, Linda thinks she's worthless without cosmetic surgery... They're simple, one-note characters, made to be mocked.
    You're basically talking about the entire history of farce.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I thought The Box was fine, but nothing to get worked up over. A considerable improvement over Southland Tales, in any case.

While we're on the topic, what was the deal with the "Choose Your Bubble" scene?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

With exception of A Serious Man, I'm not a fan of the Coen comedies... I am mostly indifferent to their body of work outside No Country and A Serious Man though.
    Follow me on Twitter

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Border Incident is great if uneven. In any case, the scene where the American and the undercover agent rendezvous probably makes it into in my top 50 scenes ever.

Aren't ALL Coen movies comedies?

Am I missing something?
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Would you consider No Country a comedy?

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Would you consider No Country a comedy?
    There's a lot of classic Coen comedic moments in there. I mean, it's not Raising Arizona, but it has the laughs.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Aren't ALL Coen movies comedies?

Am I missing something?
    No and yes, apparently.

Blood Simple and No Country for Old Men are not comedies. Fargo, The Man Who Wasn't There and Miller's Crossing have comedic elements, but it'd be a stretch to call them comedies.

I don't consider A Serious Man a comedy.

Coens just have various types of comedies from screwball, dark, slapstick, and satire.

Fargo being a dark comedy doesn't make it less comedic than a screwball comedy like The Hudsucker Proxy.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I don't consider A Serious Man a comedy.
    That and Barton Fink both walk a thin line, but I can at least understand why someone would classify them as comedies.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    How do you all get that sleek half symbol? Tell me your secret.