Page 1729 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 72912291629167917191727172817291730173117391779182922292729 ... LastLast
Results 43,201 to 43,225 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Why? I agree with a lot of what he said.
    So do I - I was just messing around.

I, too, don't like the cameo worship, and I've been a leader of the anti-Cult of Campbell for many, many years.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I assume you disagree with me, but didn't have the time to explain why?
    See above.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    So do I - I was just messing around.

I, too, don't like the cameo worship, and I've been a leader of the anti-Cult of Campbell for many, many years.
    Gotcha, I thought I remembering you going off about Campbell in the past. Makes sense now.

Whatever, an engaging cameo, particularly in a comedy is perfectly justifiable and enjoyable. I fully enjoyed Campbell in his Spiderman cameos and I'm not part of the cult of Campbell either. For instance, The Muppet Movie's success largely rides on the coattails of it's cameos.

However I would agree that cameos or even just name casting in small roles can be problematic. I quite like The Thin Red Line but I find much of Malick's casting in the film needlessly distracting.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Campbell will always be awesome to me, and I liked his cameos in the Spiderman movies. Especially the one in Spiderman 2.

Also, the Super Mario Brothers movie is mostly crap, although it has its moments. Better than Blue Velvet? Hell no. I also recall Blue Velvet having pretty great visuals, and I agree that its suspenseful, not to mention a fascinating look at sex. Plus Dennis Hopper once again showcasing his fantastic acting ability, not to mention that classic monologue about not being a good neighbor. I would like to see more from Lynch, but I haven't gotten around to his other movies just yet-and I really haven't found the time for movie viewing this year, either.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The cameo in The Girl Can't Help It! is divine... still the best ever
    Follow me on Twitter

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Eclipse uses the Twilight love story only for context's sake and guts the canon out of it, making Bella, Edward, and Jacob tolerable characters who do things for a reason. Instead of being the epitome of shallow garbage like the books and previous films were (Twilight is genuine shit; New Moon is a decent camp parody). Now it's run of the mill, average fodder for what is a legitimately cool vampire/werewolf action flick. I recommend it as a standalone film, even though it still has some of the unintentional awfulness that Twilight is justly known for. This is a flick from the director of Hard Candy and 30 Days of Night, after all.

Watched M. Hulot's Holiday. First Tati I've watched. Thought it was kind of charming but not especially hilarious, except for the scene with the canoe which was hilarious.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Thanks for refreshing my memory a bit.

Hm, do we always need to hold a film up to that responsibility, though? I mean, should Allen automatically feel a pang of compunction if he does not deliver "the real Spain"? For example, if this film took place in America, with similarly idiosyncratic and eccentric characters/caricatures/stereotypes, should we be up in arms about how Allen has knowingly perpetuated a ridiculous conception of "the real America"? Is an artist allowed to create a character that isn't designed to stand as a diluted proxy for the diversity that obviously constitutes his or her respective nation?

Also, I'll throw this out there... is it possible that, like Cristina, Bardem and his father are pursuing/embodying a glamorous and romantic stereotype? That they are self-important "victims" of a similarly disastrous brand of narcissism and star-gazing?
    I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with Allen projecting his fantasies onto Spain, as long as we acknowledge that it's a fantasy (and therefore, by definition, escapism). And having long ago reached the conclusion that it is escapism, I'm going to say that any second-level reading of the film (for instance that Bardem and his father are locked into living out a romantic stereotype for the sake of American tourists) seems to me a bit of a stretch.

Ah. I'm admittedly going to make some assumptions here so feel free to correct away if I'm wrong. You believe she played a laughable stereotype and thus, her winning an Oscar unequivocally confirms that the public readily believes in the validity and across-the-board, real-world applicability of that stereotype?
    Yes.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Vicky Christina Barcelona wasn't worthy of this much in-depth conversation.

Quote Quoting koji (view post)
    Enthralled by Triad Election. Following an introduction about the origins of Hong Kong gangs, the film introduces us to Jimmy, a member of a HK gang , who has been a successful with pirate DVDs and wants to become a "legitimate businessman". He gets trapped in a dangled web. I enjoyed the plot, but even more so, the cinematography and music.
    To's films often have amazing music, and the music in the Triad films is some of the best.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Does anyone find it odd that this is 4th of July weekend and there are zero blockbusters being released?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Does anyone find it odd that this is 4th of July weekend and there are zero blockbusters being released?
    You mean Twilight and The Last Airbender aren't blockbuster releases?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

hahahahah no.

edit: Okay, Twilight will make a killing sure, but no way is it a blockbuster. I suspect TLA to bomb totally.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm not sure why Twilight wouldn't be a blockbuster. Big budget, lines around the block, crazy midnight showing, special three-movie marathons in several theaters on opening day. Those are the symptoms of a massive blockbuster.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Just because it doesn't star Will Smith, doesn't mean it's not a blockbuster.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'm not sure why Twilight wouldn't be a blockbuster. Big budget, lines around the block, crazy midnight showing, special three-movie marathons in several theaters on opening day. Those are the symptoms of a massive blockbuster.
    It's not a blockbuster because I don't want to see it. Blockbusters usually appeal to a wide audience, have lots of action, special effects and explosions.... Not some preteen niche fantasy story. Sure big budgets are part of it but these movies are hardly what we've seen in the past; Anyway, you get the point I'm trying to make.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Just because it doesn't star Will Smith, doesn't mean it's not a blockbuster.
    Bwhahahaha pretty much. No Will Smith means no July 4th blockbuster.

It's not a blockbuster because I don't want to see it.
    So if I don't want to see Inception, does that mean it's not a blockbuster either, even if it's playing in IMAX?

Blockbusters usually appeal to a wide audience, have lots of action, special effects and explosions.... Not some preteen niche fantasy story. Sure big budgets are part of it but these movies are hardly what we've seen in the past
    Isn't Titanic just as much of a "preteen niche" movie as Twilight?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    So if I don't want to see Inception, does that mean it's not a blockbuster either, even if it's playing in IMAX?

Isn't Titanic just as much of a "preteen niche" movie as Twilight?
    Inception isn't a blockbuster.

Titanic is a tricky one, but it is a blockbuster. It's got the right formula and no i wouldn't consider it a preteen niche. A lot of people wanted to see the ship sink.

I suppose by definition both Twilight and Airbender are blockbusters, they're just weak ones and appeal to a certain fanbase. A fanbase that I'm not involved in.

There wasn't a fanbase for Titanic before it's release.

Disregarding that that's not what I count as a blockbuster*, from what I've read, Eclipse does have tons of action and special effects. Apparently David Slade just took the thing given to him and decided to just make a vampire/werewolf war movie, half-assing the story and romance.

*Blockbuster = any movie that's big, popular and successful.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I say anything that's counted on to make $200 million is a blockbuster. Twilight, Iron Man 2, Sex and the City 2, A-Team, Robin Hood, Toy Story 3, and Inception are all blockbusters.

Some just turn out to not be one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Inception isn't a blockbuster.
    Maybe it's all relative. From where I stand, a movie that cost millions and millions of dollars, has huge stars, and is playing on IMAX screens in wide release qualifies as a blockbuster. So even if (at least, according to the hype) it's marginally more demanding than your average commercial feature, that doesn't exactly make it Pedro Costa.

I suppose by definition both Twilight and Airbender are blockbusters, they're just weak ones and appeal to a certain fanbase. A fanbase that I'm not involved in.
    Yeah, Twilight is a movie for women and girls.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Speaking of blockbusters, I found it sad that the only other blockbuster besides Iron Man 2 that got a big midnight showing this summer was the 3rd Twilight movie, and now there's nothing until Harry Potter. Saving the biggest and craziest one for the end of the year, I guess.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Vicky Christina Barcelona wasn't worthy of this much in-depth conversation.
    Match-cut: [BLANK] isn't worthy of this much in-depth conversation.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

You guys don't know what taste looks like:

The Muppet Movie >
    M. Hulot's Holiday >
    Super Mario Brothers >
    Twilight >
    Showgirls >
    Blue Velvet

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Maybe it's all relative. From where I stand, a movie that cost millions and millions of dollars, has huge stars, and is playing on IMAX screens in wide release qualifies as a blockbuster. So even if (at least, according to the hype) it's marginally more demanding than your average commercial feature, that doesn't exactly make it Pedro Costa.

Yeah, Twilight is a movie for women and girls.
    Don't you think hype has a lot to do with a "blockbuster" title? Or maybe there's a difference between an anticipated blockbuster and a blockbuster as a result of ticket sales.