Page 1680 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 68011801580163016701678167916801681168216901730178021802680 ... LastLast
Results 41,976 to 42,000 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I was meaning to write something on Frownland when I saw it a few weeks back, but didn't. Anyway, I definitely admire it and have been thinking about it nonstop, but there are certain elements that rub me in the wrong way - in theory, I can dig that Bronstein is trying to reconcile the disparate extremes of no-budget B-horror and the emotional exploration of Cassavetes or Mike Leigh (it's something like Driller Killer combined with Bleak Moments, to reduce it to a sell-line), but I think Bronstein shoots himself in the foot with his self-conscious attempt at creating a sui generis art object. The Beefheart-inspired title rings a few warning bells, but more egregious are the faux-audactions narrative digressions with the supporting characters, including the obnoxious hipster roommate, which feel especially glib and schematic. I mean, if you're gonna rupture the film's rigorously maintained subjective assault, it should be for a better purpose than the hackneyed insight that a sidebar character's 'cool' veneer is a flimsy defense mechanism. But fortunately, Bronstein's flawed approach results in a haunting mood and some really exceptional performances (esp. Dore Mann) that probe the depths of self-loathing and alienation in a way that few recent films have.

What I want is for someone to do a biopic and totally Inglourious Basterds the ending up. Like, the Hell's Angels killed Mick Jagger at the Altamont Speedway and Keith had to go after their leader, or something.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Just finished Zulawski's Possession and all I've got to say is...that scene in the subway where Isabelle Adjani goes absolutely bonkers for three full minutes instantly became one of the all-time great viewing experiences of all my years of watching movies.

If you haven't seen it, take a look at an actress who is really devoted to her craft:

[youtube]5bDDanNgcgY[/youtube]

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Just finished Zulawski's Possession and all I've got to say is...that scene in the subway where Isabelle Adjani goes absolutely bonkers for three full minutes instantly became one of the all-time great viewing experiences of all my years of watching movies.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I can't say I found almost anything in Polanski's Pirates particularly funny, but the juxtaposition of the gorgeousness of the film's form with the crudeness of its content is quite something. The end of the film seems to give notice that most viewers will "miss the boat" though I must admit it's difficult to really tell what the film's goal was.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    The example he provided was a film that specifically dealt with the day Elvis Presley decided to walk into Sun Records.

He also mentioned that if he were to write and direct a biopic, he would center it around John Brown.
    I want to watch both of these films, as conceived by Tarantino.

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    Like transmogrifier touched on - it's impossible to condense even a terribly uninteresting person's life into a two hour movie. The best "biopics" are the ones that focus entirely on a specific event or maybe era in a life and define the person based off that one event/era. So I say if you're going to do a Mick Jagger biopic, it has to revolve solely around his gay love affair with David Bowie and their subsequent contributions to the bucket of semen that Rod Stewart had to have pumped from his stomach
    Yeah that's not really what one has to do to tell the story of a life though. You're not detailing every single moment of their existence. Here are some good protagonist driven films which cover large sections of their respective characters lives (some fictional, some biopics):

Citizen Kane, Perfume, Andrei Rublev, Lawrence of Arabia, Amelie, Amadeus, The Truman Show.

Alternatively if someone makes a cookie cutter biopic they could just have easily made a cookie cutter fictional biopic. The problem is in the potentially cookie cutter nature of the final product, not with biopics in and of themselves. So what I am responding against is the notion that biopics necessarily inflate the lives and egos of the famous individuals they focus on. A biopic can be many different things (it can praise, it can criticize, it can do both) and the life stories of famous people are just as if not usually more interesting than the life story of some fictional Joe Schmoe. There are plenty of historical individuals I'd like to see biopics of as long as the film is handled with a modicum of talent.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Yeah that's not really what one has to do to tell the story of a life though. You're not detailing every single moment of their existence. Here are some good protagonist driven films which cover large sections of their respective characters lives (some fictional, some biopics):

Citizen Kane, Perfume, Andrei Rublev, Lawrence of Arabia, Amelie, Amadeus, The Truman Show.
    Citizen Kane and Amelie are about fictional people. It's not the same as working from a real person's life and achievements. The Truman Show is more or less really about only a few days, or one major event (his awakening to the facade). It details his life through this, but the film's actual timeline isn't very long. Lawrence of Arabia is heavily fictionalized and unlike some of pop culture's well-known icons, has much more freedom in its sketches since TE Lawrence is not someone most people knew much about.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Citizen Kane and Amelie are about fictional people. It's not the same as working from a real person's life and achievements. The Truman Show is more or less really about only a few days, or one major event (his awakening to the facade). It details his life through this, but the film's actual timeline isn't very long. Lawrence of Arabia is heavily fictionalized and unlike some of pop culture's well-known icons, has much more freedom in its sketches since TE Lawrence is not someone most people knew much about.
    Did you even read my post?

edit: Ah maybe you were writing yours while I was editing/elucidating mine.

Anyway the fictional nature of those films is precisely part of the point. These are 'fictional' biopics but which still tell the 'full story' of someone's life. Which is what Adam was saying is impossible to condense. I disagree with that position.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Did you even read my post?

edit: Ah maybe you were writing yours while I was editing/elucidating mine.
    How long are you going to torment me with that F- in your sig? Henry was a sickening experience and I remember many walkouts when I saw it at the Seattle Film Festival, but I remember thinking it was quite good.

Did you explain your rating at some point? I miss a lot of good stuff like that around here.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    I'm winding down on Kurosawa's filmography. It's probably a good thing since I haven't seen anything close to being called great from him in quite awhile. In his post 1950 work there is always flashes of greatness to be found here and there in his films, but nothing sustaining. One more to go, and while I don't think Madadayo will astound, I hold hope that those flashes of brilliance occur more often than not. No matter how it plays out for me, the end of my journey through Kurosawa's films will be somewhat bittersweet. Like a few of you, I imagine, his films really were my first true exposure to world cinema. The beauty of film is that I can revisit him as often as I like.
    I love Madadayo actually. Great swan song. In looking, I think it may actually be my favorite post-High and Low film of his. Then again, I don't adore Ran like most, so I guess I'll supply you with the grain of salt.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    How long are you going to torment me with that F- in your sig? Henry was a sickening experience and I remember many walkouts when I saw it at the Seattle Film Festival, but I remember thinking it was quite good.

Did you explain your rating at some point? I miss a lot of good stuff like that around here.
    Yeah I think I explained it in brief in the Horror thread. Sorry I don't really know on which page precisely. I'll update my sig soon though and stop the torment.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Best biopic: Francois Girard's Thirty-two Short Films About Glenn Gould.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Best biopic: Francois Girard's Thirty-two Short Films About Glenn Gould.
    That's a good one for sure. One biopic I'd like to see is a film about Miles Davis. Although yeah it can't be the cookie cutter crapola that was Ray. Hopefully Don Cheadle does a good job with it, although I have no reason to believe he will.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Hey Sven, thanks for the accidental rep.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I love Madadayo actually. Great swan song. In looking, I think it may actually be my favorite post-High and Low film of his. Then again, I don't adore Ran like most, so I guess I'll supply you with the grain of salt.
    Red Beard. That was his last great film. I do agree about Ran though. It is still a good film, but I just can't rave about like others. Well I hope I agree about Madadayo. I'm gonna watch it here in a minute.

Just found a brand new, factory-sealed copy of the Criterion of McCarey's Make Way for Tomorrow for $20 less than in-store.

I rule.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

What store?

What store did I buy it from, or what store was it $20 less than?

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Hey Sven, thanks for the accidental rep.
    Was it the recent one? S'posed to go to Melville?

The former.

Just an independent seller on Amazon.

Ah, I see. Thanks. It's a good price indeed.

Yep! Have you seen the movie? I'm really looking forward to it. LOVE the cover, as well.

I haven't seen it, and I actually don't know much about it besides a few positive comments that I spied on this forum. Nonetheless, your post stood out to me mostly because that's a pretty good price for any Criterion... it's rare that I ever see one priced that low. Although, surprisingly, I think that is about what I paid for the Criterion Bluray of Repulsion.

I shall let you know what I think when it arrives

I think I'll buy more Criterions this way. Particularly here in Canada, they're way overpriced. If you go somewhere like BestBuy, it's not unusual for a newly released Criterion to be $69.99

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Red Beard. That was his last great film. I do agree about Ran though. It is still a good film, but I just can't rave about like others. Well I hope I agree about Madadayo. I'm gonna watch it here in a minute.
    Red Beard is great, but so are Ran, Dersu Uzala and Dodesukaden. Also Kagemusha is just a cut below those. I agree with you guys insofar as I don't think Ran is his best film, but it's still excellent. I mean you have to give some credit to his color work, it's just so lush and precise.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is that I've actually bought several at that price, in the past.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Was it the recent one? S'posed to go to Melville?
    Yup.:P
    Last 5 Viewed