Page 1634 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 63411341534158416241632163316341635163616441684173421342634 ... LastLast
Results 40,826 to 40,850 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I think the nuts represent Willem Dafoe's nuts.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Why does everything in a film have to be a critical part of the narrative? Can a film not attempt expression without it relating directly to story or character development?
    It doesn't, I just don't understand why it's acceptable in this instance, and considered a valid complaint in other films.

EDIT: Also, my question was relative to criticism I was getting at the time...so...you know...it was contextual.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    The

[
    ]

so you're probably right. Willemonachin.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It doesn't, I just don't understand why it's acceptable in this instance, and considered a valid complaint in other films.
    Because it's a 5-second shot, not 75% of the film a la Zach Snyder. It's acceptable for exactly what you mention below, context. Slow-mo is often used as a lazy, short hand way to amplify the importance of action, other times it punctuates an action scene and works beautifully and other times it is powerful and effective in evoking a certain mood. It's kind of silly thing to argue about - take any film technique and you can find films where they work wonderfully and film's where they're mishandled. But if you're going to label a technique "artsy-fartsy", don't be surprised when people look for actual reasons as to why you think it doesn't work.

Quote Quoting Skitch
    EDIT: Also, my question was relative to criticism I was getting at the time...so...you know...it was contextual.
    You complained that no one answered your questions and that was the only one I could find. I'm not sure how your question relies on context - you asked if that shot was necessary and I explained how it's important...

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I'm not sure how your question relies on context - you asked if that shot was necessary and I explained how it's important...
    Because I didn't really care about it. :lol: I was showing that no matter how I've tried to break stuff down here, I usually get no response, so who knew saying what I did would set off such an argument. I really had no clue that everybody had such a passion for hating such a term...or that Anti Christ had such a loyal following.

Am I the only one who found Charlotte unbearably sexy throughout the entire movie? I'm guessing no, but I also have no idea what this says about me, (or you, you sick fucks).

I really had no clue that everybody had such a passion for hating such a term...or that Anti Christ had such a loyal following.

The

[
    ]
    I'm not sure I'll ever be able to enjoy an orgasm again.

Mini film festival. Which of these films should I prioritise? I've seen Antichrist, White Ribbon and Still Walking and The Hurt Locker is coming to regular cinemas.

http://www.worldcinemashowcase.co.nz/Thefilms2.html
    There are two pages of posts between this one and my response, but I'm gonna throw Love Exposure out there. We'll see if Match-Cut's got my back as I catch up on the thread.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Guys: Paul Verhoeven is reading from his new book Jesus of Nazareth tonite. With the move from NYC, I was resolved to never get to see him. How wrong I was. I went from a super foul mood this morning to one of near rapture.
    Guys: yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I have now touched Robert Altman, Werner Herzog, and Paul Verhoeven. His discussion about his book was endlessly fascinating (and captivating, given the man's bustling energy). At the risk of sounding corny, I will just say that I am feeling very inspired.

Literally just did a spit take.

Fat City is Huston's masterpiece. The end is so spot on perfect. Leading up to the end scene, I thought how in the world he was going to end this. I wasn't sure where it was leading, and then we are given the coffee scene.

Chameleon (Jost, 1978) -- Better in theory than in practice. Gets much more interesting after the halfway point. Very cool little performance piece near the end done in totally surrounding darkness being the highlight.

The Ladies Man (Lewis, 1961) -- Intermittenly funny. Surprisingly cinematic camera. Lewis is charming and off-putting in almost equal measure.

Knife in the Water (Polanski, 1962) -- Fairly intense stuff. One-upsmanship gone awry. Neat ambiguous ending. Some cool shots despite the restrictive setting.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Fat City is Huston's masterpiece. The end is so spot on perfect. Leading up to the end scene, I thought how in the world he was going to end this. I wasn't sure where it was leading, and then we are given the coffee scene.
    Yep, completely agree. I think Qrazy got me to watch this... and he was right.

Fat City is awesome though I think the very final minutes are what really makes the film. So, so poignant.

Hey Boner. Wanna rank your Jost viewings for me?

BTW, someone just upped a rip of Slow Moves to KG. Angel City was upped recently as well, but no one's ripped it yet.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Hey Boner. Wanna rank your Jost viewings for me?

BTW, someone just upped a rip of Slow Moves to KG. Angel City was upped recently as well, but no one's ripped it yet.
    1. Last Chants...
    2. this video of him singing in his hotel room in the Phillipines

So yeah... I need to catch up.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    To Live and Die in L.A. (Friedkin, 1985) ***½
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Saw Bruce Willis filming a scene in New Orleans. He was running down the street, shooting a gun at something. Extras running for life in the background. Camera was from inside a busted cop car.

This could be any Bruce Willis movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Saw Bruce Willis filming a scene in New Orleans. He was running down the street, shooting a gun at something. Extras running for life in the background. Camera was from inside a busted cop car.

True, but I can tell you it is Red.

Standard fare I'm sure, but that's a pretty wicked cast.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Aye, it held up and is even better than I remember it being when I saw it in high school. It's really a film of pure momentum, almost Bresson-like in its fleet, staccato rhythms (that opening scene!), and yet I think Friedkin somehow manages to sustain a nice emotional undercurrent even as the film is almost entirely focused on external action and the elision of character psychology. Also Wang Chung's score has grown on me - the surging synths and electro beats obviously correlate with the film's sense of forward motion, but there are some moments where it mimics the diegetic sounds effectively, like the ringing siren in the airport scene.

Plus, it's just such an fn' cool film.

Antichrist > Bruce Willis > The term "artsy fartsy".
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

It's the latest Die Hard movie: Die Hard with Crawfish Etouffe'.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Antichrist > Bruce Willis > The term "artsy fartsy".
    My Pictoral Representation of the Term "Artsy Fartsy">>>>

I was robbed of that art scholarship. ROBBED.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Its time for...NAME...THAT...MOVIE! Made for tv made in the 80's starring (I think) Wilford Brimly as a time machine inventor. The time machine was fridge sized and spun the occupant around super fast then POOF! Some kid hops in the thing and goes to the fifties (I think). Can't find anything on this, and I need to see it again.