Page 1631 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 63111311531158116211629163016311632163316411681173121312631 ... LastLast
Results 40,751 to 40,775 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Derek: Jarhead thoughts. Now. It's one that I don't really like, but find myself defending usually. Much like Domino for some reason.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I'm pretty sure that the grumbles from the subsequent indigestion just registered at least a 4 on the Richter here in Seattle.
    I felt it, too.

Derek: Jarhead thoughts. Now. It's one that I don't really like, but find myself defending usually. Much like Domino for some reason.
    Understandable. Deakins cinematography is often great and I like the concept on focusing on the boring aspects of war, the waiting and the obsessive need to put one's training into action. What I didn't like, particularly in the first half, is how the film tries to play both sides in playing up the sense of displacement and isolation and the camaraderie and macho bonding of the soldiers. The near-celebration, or at least embracing, or the latter never geled with the former, often undercutting it and thus making the film seem confused about what it was really trying to convey about the wartime experience. Had there been a few more truly compelling sequences, there might be enough to recommend, but ultimately it was too wishy-washy to really be all that effective.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Logan's Run

"Carousel is a lie!"

Endearing in its unabashed cheese, Logan's Run is a mishmash of dystopian, post-apoc trappings, but Michael York and Jenny Agutter make this ridiculousness real and, after a time, kind of lovable. York plays Logan 5, a "sandman" who chases those running away from the city's strict no-one-over-30 policy. Of course, Logan must eventually become the Very Thing He Chases, but at least he has the good sense to drag along the stunning Jenny Agutter, whose eyes are as lovely as her frequently exposed breasts. Some terrific effects (the ruined Washington DC) do battle with less impressive tricks (a laughable rolling robot), but even at its least convincing moments, I found myself involved in the plight of the two heroes, and I realized I genuinely wanted them to succeed. Maybe that comes from their ability to sell the high melodrama. Certainly some comes from Jenny Agutter's beautiful eyes.

B

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Have you ever seen the interpretation of the sniper sequence where the guy considers it a commentary on the JFK assassination? Pretty cool idea and not without some interesting supporting evidence.

It's part 6 on the following page:
    http://www.collativelearning.com/FMJ%20contents.html
    Yeah, I'd seen that before, and each time I see it it sounds more convincing.

I noticed the problematic continuity of the sniper this time, and although at the moment I shrugged it off as a manipulative way to convey suspense and fear, you can never tell with Kubrick.

I just finished watching Husbands and Wives. It's sort of Allen channeling Cassavettes - definitively not as intense, but it's pretty good stuff. It's funny, but considering Allen is a mature filmmaker with mature themes, I seem to have outgrown the fascination for his movies pretty quickly. I appreciate them, and deeply love the best of them such as Manhattan and Crimes and Misdemeanors, but they don't blow me away like they did in my teen years. Regardless, good movie.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Understandable.
    You are, likewise, understood. Awesome Martha score, too. I need to finish up Fassbinder. Got a handful left.

You are, likewise, understood. Awesome Martha score, too. I need to finish up Fassbinder. Got a handful left.
    Yeah, Martha's brilliant. It's not only the best of the three 1974 films I've seen from him (only one to go w00t ) but one of his best period. I've only seen 13...how many have you seen out of curiosity? Are all his films available or are you not counting some of the tv stuff that's probably not out in the US?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I just heard a loud groan, all the way from Portland.
    Spinal probably doesn't want to know why I hate Wes Anderson then...
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Yeah, Martha's brilliant. It's not only the best of the three 1974 films I've seen from him (only one to go w00t ) but one of his best period. I've only seen 13...how many have you seen out of curiosity? Are all his films available or are you not counting some of the tv stuff that's probably not out in the US?
    Have you been watching Breaking Bad?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Spinal probably doesn't want to know why I hate Wes Anderson then...
    I think you hate him because you want to be cool and different to impress people.

I think you hate him because he's different for the sake of being different and thinks he great for it, and shows this in his movies.
    You were close.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Only one of Fassbinder's films aren't available period.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Have you been watching Breaking Bad?
    No, I'm going to start downloading to catch up though. It's only on week 3 right? How is it so far?*

*[
    ]

I've seen 26 of his films. There is much that I am resigned to knowing I will probably never see, but there are a few that I've simply just never gotten around to. There was a time, maybe three years ago, where I watched nothing but his films for about a month. It was insane, but very rewarding. One of the best, surely.

I'm watching Querelle right now. It's OK.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

You were close.
    No, I was dead-on and the only reason you brought it up is because you're pretentious and need all of us to recognize that you're different so we'll think you're cool when we all really know that you're only saying it for sake of being different, but you know that we know and that scares you which is why you sleep with a night light on and take a flashlight with you when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.*

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Only one of Fassbinder's films aren't available period.
    Good to hear! Which one?

*[
    ]

Good to hear! Which one?

*[
    ]
    For those that may be curious, the only one that is not available is his 1981 doc Theater in Trance.
    Last 5 Viewed

No, I'm going to start downloading to catch up though. It's only on week 3 right? How is it so far?*

*[
    ]
    Only the second episode has aired (tonight). It's good stuff so far.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I've seen 26 of his films. There is much that I am resigned to knowing I will probably never see, but there are a few that I've simply just never gotten around to. There was a time, maybe three years ago, where I watched nothing but his films for about a month. It was insane, but very rewarding. One of the best, surely.
    Awesome, I went a little kick myself a couple years ago when I watched most of the ones I've seen. Have you seen Berlin Alexanderplatz yet? If not, you need to. Richard Linklater said he once watched it over a 3-day weekend and since I know you don't want to be outdone by him, you should watch it 2 days max.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I'm watching Querelle right now. It's OK.
    Haven't heard too many good things about that one, but I'm always interested to see director's last films. From the clips I've seen, it looks very garish, like the epilogue of BA, though I don't mean that as a bad thing. If there's one director who knows how to be garish, Fassbinder's the one.

Haven't heard too many good things about that one, but I'm always interested to see director's last films. From the clips I've seen, it looks very garish, like the epilogue of BA, though I don't mean that as a bad thing. If there's one director who knows how to be garish, Fassbinder's the one.
    Garish sounds about right. It's very artificial, and astoundingly gay, but none of these things bother me at all, so I've gotten some enjoyment out of it.
    Last 5 Viewed

Awesome, I went a little kick myself a couple years ago when I watched most of the ones I've seen. Have you seen Berlin Alexanderplatz yet? If not, you need to. Richard Linklater said he once watched it over a 3-day weekend and since I know you don't want to be outdone by him, you should watch it 2 days max.
    Astonishingly, that is one of my blind spots. I was waiting for so long for the Criterion that by the time it was released, I had run out of 'binder steam.

I like Querelle.

I will accept your challenge (somewhere down the line, can't promise soon). Should be easy. I still like to brag about watching 6 Jerry Lewis films back to back. Literally. Only breaks were restroom ones. They were fueling me. Never felt anything like it before or since. I also went on a huge Hitchcock binge and have seen all but I think four now, not counting the impossible to find early ones.

And more recently, I may get the chance to see all the Cremaster films in one day. Hopefully I don't have to work.

Good to hear! Which one?

*[
    ]
    Wait, fucking with me or Brightside?

I'm lost right now.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I will accept your challenge (somewhere down the line, can't promise soon). Should be easy. I still like to brag about watching 6 Jerry Lewis films back to back. Literally. Only breaks were restroom ones. They were fueling me. Never felt anything like it before or since. I also went on a huge Hitchcock binge and have seen all but I think four now, not counting the impossible to find early ones.
    Pssh, I once watched 6 Jerry Lewis films AND Shoah in one sitting with no breaks because I peed in a jar like a man.

That is awesome though. I'm a fan of the Jer.

Quote Quoting Sven
    And more recently, I may get the chance to see all the Cremaster films in one day. Hopefully I don't have to work.
    Definitely not something to miss. I wasn't really a fan of 1, 2, 4 or 5, but holy shit is 3 amazing. It does try to be different, so watch out for that.

Wait, fucking with me or Brightside?

I'm lost right now.
    Edited to make sense, but in short, you.