Page 1298 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 2987981198124812881296129712981299130013081348139817982298 ... LastLast
Results 32,426 to 32,450 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    So, something I noticed when I was watching WALL-E this last time - check out the post on the blog, incidentally. It's gotten the most traffic of any post, evar! - is that there's a pretty thick divide in tone between the first and second halves. I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing, but the first half is mostly comedic in tone, while the second half really takes the brunt of all the drama and whatever iconography they were trying to achieve (that is, WALL-E is Jesus, according to Stanton), whereas something like a Happy Feet or a Miyazaki film or even Brad Bird's The Iron Giant - to an extent - keeps both of these things in balance, the entire way through. Drama will segue into comedy, or vicey versey.

Still, interesting film. I'm starting to enjoy bits and pieces of it more and more than I did, initially.
    The strong divide was actually one of the things I quite liked about the movie. It made both halves more interesting by having them reflect on one another. And it made the impact of the zaniness and urgency of the second half stronger, due to its contrast with the first half. Also, it made the film more interesting simply by being somewhat unusual.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    The strong divide was actually one of the things I quite liked about the movie. It made both halves more interesting by having them reflect on one another. And it made the impact of the zaniness and urgency of the second half stronger, due to its contrast with the first half. Also, it made the film more interesting simply by being somewhat unusual.
    I think I might agree with you, but I'm not sure just yet.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Once again, I regret getting into that previous argument here, but I don't regret most of the things that I said.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Zero for Conduct was a bit of a disappointment in the wake of the extreme promise of A Propos de Nice. It's still an interesting film, though. It feels compromised, which makes sense given Vigo was forced to cut its running time. What we're left with is a bit of a mess, but fortunately, it has its good moments and ideas.
    It's really good with some amusing and beautifully surreal moments, but I prefer A Propos de Nice as well.

I assume you've seen L'Atalante already, because if not, you're missing out on one of the best films evah.

Quote Quoting BuffaloWilder (view post)
    So, something I noticed when I was watching WALL-E this last time - check out the post on the blog, incidentally. It's gotten the most traffic of any post, evar! - is that there's a pretty thick divide in tone between the first and second halves. I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing, but the first half is mostly comedic in tone, while the second half really takes the brunt of all the drama and whatever iconography they were trying to achieve (that is, WALL-E is Jesus, according to Stanton), whereas something like a Happy Feet or a Miyazaki film or even Brad Bird's The Iron Giant - to an extent - keeps both of these things in balance, the entire way through. Drama will segue into comedy, or vicey versey.

Still, interesting film. I'm starting to enjoy bits and pieces of it more and more than I did, initially.

These are all movies for children.

You should really try watching something more demanding.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Srsly?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Srsly?

Not really.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

What is that from, Amnesiac?

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    What is that from, Amnesiac?
    Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job. Probably the best sketch I've seen from it.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job. Probably the best sketch I've seen from it.
    Do you know which season? I kinda want to rent the DVD out of curiosity because I've heard so many good things about the show.

Yeah, I read that right afterwards. Madness.

I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Do you know which season? I kinda want to rent the DVD out of curiosity because I've heard so many good things about the show.
    The third I'm pretty sure. Be forewarned, the are a lot of horrible sketches on this show.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    There are also a lot of awesome sketches, though.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I know you are in jest, but incidentally, I did just finish watching Neil Marshall's Doomsday. And, I wish I could scrub my eyeballs.
    thefilmistreturns.wordpress.com

Impossible. Meaningless.

Nice to see someone else on the positive side for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I liked it a lot.
    ...and Silent Hill.

I watched Made in USA and 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her today. I liked both a lot, but 2 or 3... is simply incredible. Not quite up there with Contempt or Pierrot le fou for me (both of which are more entertaining) but it certainly rivals other personal favorites like La Chinoise and Week End.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I watched Made in USA and 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her today. I liked both a lot, but 2 or 3... is simply incredible. Not quite up there with Contempt or Pierrot le fou for me (both of which are more entertaining) but it certainly rivals other personal favorites like La Chinoise and Week End.
    Nice, I bought 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Robocop

Verhoeven's infamous robot revenge tale is a mostly-delightful variant on the Frankenstein story, with Peter Weller giving real poignancy to his clunky, armor-covered hero. The rest of the cast is game, especially Miguel Ferrer as a slimy yuppie and Kurtwood Smith as the ebullient gangster secretly in league with corporate interests. Verhoeven's distaste of the body corporate extends into wearying, if occasionally clever, satirical barbs ("I'd buy that for a dollar!"), but this story has real heart. And, beneath all the gore and action, that's what makes it work.

B+

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    There are also a lot of awesome sketches, though.
    Yeah, it's rare there's a whole episode without at least one nugget of gold. There are plenty that are absolutely abysmal, but that's to be expected with the absolute go-for-broke surrealist comedy sketch shows.

Speaking of which, I miss Wonder Showzen.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    It's really good with some amusing and beautifully surreal moments, but I prefer A Propos de Nice as well.

I assume you've seen L'Atalante already, because if not, you're missing out on one of the best films evah.
    Nah, I'm saving that for last. Can't wait, though.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    The third I'm pretty sure. Be forewarned, the are a lot of horrible sketches on this show.
    Nonsense.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Coraline was enjoyable enough but the 3-D gimmick didn't do much for me. Beyond giving me a headache, anyways.

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I suppose I'll have to give this one another look, but I found that Godard's embrace of the day's theoretical orthodoxy (narrated in hushed tones by the filmmaker himself) not only dates the film (because structuralism is, like, so 1967) but is totally impenetrable as well.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Wink

Re-watched Drugstore Cowboy and The Ruins last night...I'd like to talk about the latter a bit.

I think it went down a notch or two on the 2nd viewing considering the shock value of the sudden gore was not as profound, but I still found the entire experience to be rather unnerving and claustrophobic. A lot of the complaints leveled towards the movie were that it's not really that scary and doesn't have any kind of social metaphor or allegory apart from the "YOUNG AMERICANS! PLACE THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND! BAD SITUATION!" that is being bludgeoned to death in recent years. However, I think it does a lot of things that deserve appreciation in their execution. The aforementioned sudden gore isn't overkill but it isn't too little either; but apart from that the gore is creative...

[
    ]

Back to those complaints that the movie isn't scary...I never really found it nail biting in terms of terror but rather in terms of watching the group slowly deteriorate mentally and physically specifically with the help of the 4-5 young actors really pulling their weight with the material. I still found Stacy to be haunting and sympathetic as her anxiety gives way to insanity, eventually giving us what may be the best scene of the movie as Jeff is forced into a unenviable decision as the plants howl and scream. Now THAT was still scary to me.

Granted, some of the relationships may be underdeveloped and the whole Mattias angle only lends itself to really be a valuable emotional factor in 1 or 2 scenes but apart from this small gripe I think this was definitely an overlooked little movie. Really an incredibly simple concept with an interesting, almost singular setting (I love "one-room" kind of movies) that has good acting, good gore, an atypical "villain" and some really unnerving scenes.

Also; forget the theatrical ending. Gimmie the Unrated version (which also includes the inexplicable hand job scene...someone wanna help me out there?).
    My Site: Film Reviews and Essays

New Stuff: 88 Minutes, I Was Born But..., The Idiots, Rififi