Page 1224 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 2247241124117412141222122312241225122612341274132417242224 ... LastLast
Results 30,576 to 30,600 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'm not sure why I watched all of Stuck. I kept thinking, since I liked Edmond, that it would go in a direction I liked, but it managed to just keep getting worse and worse, until it all went up in flames.

[
    ]
    I'm struggling to remember if Stuck was actually "good" in regards to directorial craft right now... Well, the big Argento-esque crash, the sex scene, and the finale are all rather distinguished... but I'm also reminded of his blockheaded approach to the subplot with the Mexican family.

Anyway, I loved Stuck. The film's exaggerated contemporary parable fit Stuart Gordon's underachieving ways like a glove. You didn't even just enjoy it, on an "Oh now that's just f'in outrageous..." level? i.e. as a crazy black comedy?

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Does anyone else get joy from typing Kieslowski's name. Try it. Two letters with each hand alternating back and forth. Kinda like making two circles.
    Haha, nice thought. I do!
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    I'm struggling to remember if Stuck was actually "good" in regards to directorial craft right now... Well, the big Argento-esque crash, the sex scene, and the finale are all rather distinguished... but I'm also reminded of his blockheaded approach to the subplot with the Mexican family.
    I thought it was "good." The craft wasn't distinguished, but Gordon's interest seemed more in the perverse story. Which is fair, because it's fucking ridiculous.

I liked Stuck significantly more than Edmond, which was a serviceable character piece but little more.

Haha, nice thought. I do!
    I just tried this. Kieslowski. Huh.

My Sassy Girl was one of the most unbearable films I've ever made it all the way through. Preposterous at every step. I can't even really care to recall it.

I can't really think of anything worth noting on Stuck. Seemed like an extended episode of Masters of Horror. Ridiculous, but that was the only option. Stuart Gordon is capable of better.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It may have been you soitgoes, but I saw Kieslowski's (I prefer typing Tarkovsky) A Short Film About Killing and forgot to update my Film Swapping thread. I'll get to that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

[
    ]
    I'm pretty sure that's how Gordon intended it...

I can't really think of anything worth noting on Stuck. Seemed like an extended episode of Masters of Horror. Ridiculous, but that was the only option. Stuart Gordon is capable of better.
    Wow, you are the wrongest of the wrongs. Still one of the best films of last year.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Wow, you are the wrongest of the wrongs.
    Well, I guess the phrase isn't copyrighted, so...

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Well, I guess the phrase isn't copyrighted, so...
    I don't know if it'll help, but I would vote for that phrase being reserved for you only.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Repo! The Genetic Opera or Cheeky!
    :lol:

All you could want from a double feature.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    :lol:

All you could want from a double feature.
    My Netflix queue tells me you are a very persuasive poster.

Stuck was amazing. That's really the best example of how to do a chamber horror.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Repo! The Genetic Opera was amazing. That's really the best example of how to do a science-fiction horror-comedy opera.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My Sassy Girl was one of the most unbearable films I've ever made it all the way through. Preposterous at every step. I can't even really care to recall it.
    And yet, here I am asking you to recall it. What in the execution was inbearable, if I may? Kyun-woo's continuous seeking of the girl out despite the pain, emotional and otherwise, that she causes him? Some of the escaped military guy stuff? Details, my man...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I don't know if it'll help, but I would vote for that phrase being reserved for you only.
    Thanks!

Heeeey, wait a minute.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Details, my man...
    Honestly, all I can recall before my mind blacks out in a self-induced haze of selective memory is the enormous stretches in recognizable human motivation compounded by a seriously retarded final voice-over that changes (for the worse from the already bad) the nature of those interactions to be even more alien. The military antics did not help.

Honestly, all I can recall before my mind blacks out in a self-induced haze of selective memory is the enormous stretches in recognizable human motivation compounded by a seriously retarded final voice-over that changes (for the worse from the already bad) the nature of those interactions to be even more alien. The military antics did not help.
    High five. That movie is wretched.

Try being in Asia when it came out. It was akin to Twilight.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I'm pretty sure that's how Gordon intended it...
    Strong work then Gordon. You successfully made your film suck.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Hey, someone recommend me Tokyo crime Yakuza movies. I've seen some of Johnnie To's stuff (Breaking News and Election) and wasn't really overly impressed, but I'd try more.

Repo! The Genetic Opera is a musical that I flat out loved. Considering my dislike for the genre at the moment, I'd say that's remarkable and noteworthy.

Aside from Up, I haven't really seen anything worthy of reviewing at the moment. Meh.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Hey, someone recommend me Tokyo crime Yakuza movies. I've seen some of Johnnie To's stuff (Breaking News and Election) and wasn't really overly impressed, but I'd try more.
    Well technically Election is about triads (Chinese), not Yakuza (Japanese). Suzuki is your man for Yakuza... I like to varying degrees Branded to Kill, Youth of the Beast, Tokyo Drifter, Gate of Flesh. Kitano did Yakuza stuff also but I can't say I was that impressed with what I saw (Sonatine, Violent Cop). Kids Return, Boiling Point and Brother are well regarded. There's also old school Yakuza stuff... Kurosawa's Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Drunken Angel... High and Low isn't really yakuza but it's Japanese crime and I'd recommend it. Tampopo has very minor Yakuza elements and I hear Itami's Minbo is Yakuza but I've only seen the former. It's awesome and hilarious.

Oh, Shinoda's Pale Flower is also great.

Then there's Miike (Gozu, Ichi the Killer). I have not seen either but I don't like his stuff in general.

I've only seen the first one of Fukasaku's The Yakuza Papers and I was not impressed. I've heard better things about Sympathy for the Underdog.

Kobayashi's Inn of Evil and Black Rain are both fairly decent gang/crime films, but not excellent.

Nakajima made a number of Yakuza films but I have not seen any.

---

Alternatively if you want to watch more Triad films Johnny To and John Woo are the staples. The Killer and Hard Boiled are the two best I've seen from Woo.

Aside from what you've seen quality films to see from To (semi triad oriented for the most part) are Election 2, Exiled, The Mission, Sparrow (about pickpocketing), Throw Down and PTU.

Infernal Affairs is also decent but I did not love it.

I found Ringo Lam's City on Fire to be fairly lame. Reservoir Dogs ripped it off though so it has that going for it.

I've also heard good things about Ishii's Gonin (Yakuza) and Hark's Time and Tide (Triad).
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Geez, thanks Qrazy. That post was more than I asked or was hoping for.

Of those mentioned, I have seen Youth of the Beast and Gate of Flesh and I thought they were both great and would give them 3.5/5.

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Of those mentioned, I have seen Youth of the Beast and Gate of Flesh and I thought they were both great and would give them 3.5/5.
    Yeah, Suzuki is the man. I need to dive back in and see some more.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Yeah, Suzuki is the man. I need to dive back in and see some more.
    Yeah, I've heard his black and white stuff is even more stylish, surprisingly enough. He uses color magnificently, so it will be interesting to see how he uses black and white.