Page 1216 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 2167161116116612061214121512161217121812261266131617162216 ... LastLast
Results 30,376 to 30,400 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Baraka was really something. I tried to watch it a few times unsuccessfully (I kept falling asleep), but then today I picked up at the Monkey Chant and watched to the end. A fascinating series of images, and it was a real pleasure watching how Fricke juxtaposed those visuals with music. Entire sequences devoted to religious ritual, death, the machinations of life. A lovely film, with extended shots that capture reality. Sometimes I wonder if this could be the truer, larger purpose of film - to avoid narrative and go for something simpler and deeper.

Towards the end, I kept thinking about "om," the Buddhist word that takes followers to clarity of mind. This film is om.
    Crazy. I watched it tonight, too. Loved it. Definitely superior to Koyaanisqatsi.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Banned
    Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    ?
    I'm usually not very affected by pre-'70s flicks, for whatever reason. I can appreciate their craft, but they usually don't speak to me on a visceral level, you know? I feel like they're not for me, they're for...someone else. Actually I feel that way about Persona, as well, but it still really unsettled me. It reminded me a lot of Mulholland Dr.

Banned
    I should probably qualify the above two posts with this explanation: I am on drugs right now.

Quote Quoting trotchky (view post)
    I should probably qualify my posting history with this explanation: I am on drugs right now.

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Well, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs was certainly awesome. It started out and I was thinking about how it wasn't really exploring a woman's emotional journey as she finds herself in society like I was expecting but rather, how others see women in society. Although, after Mikio gets sick, it quickly gravitates into an even more socially-aware statement on the treatment of women in society and the effects of such treatment. Takamine is really great in this; she gives a very expressive performance that adds depth to her character whenever she comes in contact with another male. My only major complaint is the soap opera element that the movie sometimes gets into — by the end, I was hoping she just didn't marry anybody, especially after we found out Kenichi was a liar and Mr. Fujisaki was married — although that's very minor, because the dialogue is really well-written. Recommendations for more Mikio Naruse? Immediately, he strikes me as a terribly underseen director of classical Japanese cinema.
    Well, I'm not sure how you acquire the films you watch, but if it's Netflix and/or the library then sadly your Naruse watching has probably come to an end. If you have other means of acquiring films then Wife! Be Like a Rose!, Floating Clouds, and Yearning are some of my favorites.

Quote Quoting thefourthwall (view post)
    Paolo Veronese, The Wedding at Cana. Kept at the Louvre.
    Great painting, in the same room as the Mona Lisa, but far more impressive.

So...if you ever wanted to ask Werner Herzog a question, here's your chance:
    Forum: Submit Questions for Werner Herzog

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I watched Batman Begins yesterday. First time watching it since Dark Knight was released. I found myself a little annoyed at the Tumbler chase sequence. The rooftop to rooftop jumping made the movie very cheesy; I understand that was the reason the Tumbler was created to begin with (jumping) but the effects and models do not age well. And the whole stealth mode makes no sense. What was causing the helicopter to miss shining the light on the Tumbler?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I watched Batman Begins yesterday. First time watching it since Dark Knight was released. I found myself a little annoyed at the Tumbler chase sequence. The rooftop to rooftop jumping made the movie very cheesy; I understand that was the reason the Tumbler was created to begin with (jumping) but the effects and models do not age well. And the whole stealth mode makes no sense. What was causing the helicopter to miss shining the light on the Tumbler?
    Stealth mode is just turning off the lights and reducing the noise of the engine, this makes the car harder for a helicopter to find. It works.

This is real.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Stealth mode is just turning off the lights and reducing the noise of the engine, this makes the car harder for a helicopter to find. It works.

This is real.
    Does he turn off the lights at 4:56?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    After Baraka last night, I finished up Silent Running, and that was also very affecting. Bruce Dern communicated the sense of loneliness and growing neurosis that would affect someone in his position, but what really surprised me was the growing concern I had for the robots, Huey and Dewey. They're less expressive than R2-D2, and yet I found them more compelling. The implications of the ending are sad as hell.

Although I do think it odd that a significant plot point is:

[
    ]

It's probably one of the best "hard" sci-fi films I've ever seen.

Does he turn off the lights at 4:56?
    I think so.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

After Baraka last night, I finished up Silent Running, and that was also very affecting. Bruce Dern communicated the sense of loneliness and growing neurosis that would affect someone in his position, but what really surprised me was the growing concern I had for the robots, Huey and Dewey. They're less expressive than R2-D2, and yet I found them more compelling. The implications of the ending are sad as hell.

Although I do think it odd that a significant plot point is:

[
    ]

It's probably one of the best "hard" sci-fi films I've ever seen.
    Oh man I can't stand Silent Running.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I think so.
    That's pretty awesome then. It's up for debate whether or not there is a helicopter involved or not.

That's pretty awesome then. It's up for debate whether or not there is a helicopter involved or not.
    It's true, that clip is not ideal. He has many full videos where it's clear police copters are involved. They're better quality elsewhere but here's another youtube link.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

It's true, that clip is not ideal. He has many full videos where it's clear police copters are involved. They're better quality elsewhere but here's another youtube link.
    Isn't that the same video?

Isn't that the same video?
    I don't know, didn't watch the whole thing, but this one is significantly longer. I just know I've seen a video with him where you can see the copter more clearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_R...t_Rider_videos
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Oh man I can't stand Silent Running.
    Seriously? What'd you dislike about it?

I mean, things I noticed that might bother people include (a) Bruce Dern's one-sided attitude that plants > people, (b) the awkward model work, and (c)...

[
    ]

(Stephen) Chow Day 2009 was a lot of fun yesterday. Flirting Scholar was even better than I remembered it being. Totally, relentlessly funny. Mad Monk is a weirdass movie--Johnnie To trying to achieve cool shots and some interesting Buddhist philosophy into a mo lei tau comedy, creating a bizarre film in which giant bull demon gods, Ng Man Tat acting like a literal manbaby, wacky puns, and murder, rape, and suicide all exist in the same ten minutes.

The newer DVD I've obtained of Love on Delivery actually makes it look like it was made for more than ten bucks, and makes the entire thing more redeable and understandable (though seeing a Brokeback Mountain reference wedged into the translation of a 1994 film is disorienting), even though the technically better translation lacks some of the awkward charm of the old disc.

It's still absolutley one of the most perfectly funny films I've seen.

I just cannot get into Lynch's Dune.

The constant internal thoughts, the awful editing (though this may be due to it not being the full 190 minute version)...it's just not capturing my imagination the way I it's supposed to.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I just cannot get into Lynch's Dune.

The constant internal thoughts, the awful editing (though this may be due to it not being the full 190 minute version)...it's just not capturing my imagination the way I it's supposed to.
    It's okay to admit you like Sting in a hawk-shaped loincloth.

Shhh. It's going to be okay.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)

Hey I never said otherwise.

There's a reason why I kept watching for more than an hour even though I wasn't enjoying the movie
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    The constant internal thoughts...
    I liked the internal monologues. They mirrored the literary qualities of the book. Sure, it's not subtle, and for Lynch VO might even be seen as a bit lazy, but in this instance I think it worked. So much of Dune's drama is internal; it's an interesting examination of spiritual and physical warfare, and I do think that the VO is needed to convey this.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)

a picture's worth thousand words.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Seriously? What'd you dislike about it?

I mean, things I noticed that might bother people include (a) Bruce Dern's one-sided attitude that plants > people, (b) the awkward model work, and (c)...

[
    ]
    A didn't bother me but B and C and the general camerawork, also the overall flow, pacing and structure of the story. I kept waiting for it to amount to something and then it just didn't.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I liked the internal monologues. They mirrored the literary qualities of the book. Sure, it's not subtle, and for Lynch VO might even be seen as a bit lazy, but in this instance I think it worked. So much of Dune's drama is internal; it's an interesting examination of spiritual and physical warfare, and I do think that the VO is needed to convey this.
    I'm not totally against voiceover. I think it can be used well, but in general I find that if a film adaptation of a novel does not transfer internal drama/character psychology/literary rhythm and themes into it's aesthetic and instead relies on voiceover, than it usually has not been wholly successful. Then again voiceover is the least of Dune's problems.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+