Page 1168 of 2751 FirstFirst ... 1686681068111811581166116711681169117011781218126816682168 ... LastLast
Results 29,176 to 29,200 of 68766

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Oh and Dark Days is quite good I third the rec.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Oh and Dark Days is quite good I third the rec.
    Fourthed. And if my wife was here, she'd totally fifth that shit.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Fourthed. And if my wife was here, she'd totally fifth that shit.
    That sounds vaguely sexual and potentially painful. I don't need to know what you do with your wife during your off hours KF.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

That sounds vaguely sexual and potentially painful. I don't need to know what you do with your wife during your off hours KF.
    I'd sixth it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    They have kids, Qrazy. They're obviously perverts.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Shoot the Piano Player: I'm going to go ahead and edit out all of the excess that I had previously written. This is too poorly structured, Truffaut throws us right in (I know I didn't care about what I was watching), and gives us exposition in the middle of the movie? Ruins pacing. Movie picks back up in the second half, but remains no more than a homage to gangster movies. I don't find this to be very important at all. Entertaining, certainly watchable, but definitely passable.
    I don't find this post important, entertaining or passable. I think there's a lot more going on here than you're giving it credit for.

For what it's worth, I'm with Clipper about Shoot the Piano Player. Not the most memorable movie - just a collection of disjointed jokes, some of which work, some of which not so much.

I think if the gangs get to be presented in the film, they'll remain content on set with each other, solely because they wouldn't want that instantly bad publicity to hit.

Now, that's not to say there will be fights over who gets to do security, advisors, etc on the film. That's where the true crime comes in though.

Knives Out - ** 1/2
    Honey Boy - ***
    Last Black Man in San Francisco - *** 1/2

twitter

Oh, and have you heard, David Carradine is dead.

Knives Out - ** 1/2
    Honey Boy - ***
    Last Black Man in San Francisco - *** 1/2

twitter

Did any of you hear about David Carradine's death? You may not know this lovely trivia-nugget, but, he was Bill in the Kill Bill movies.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    I don't find this post important, entertaining or passable. I think there's a lot more going on here than you're giving it credit for.
    I'm on your side Derek, fantastic film, one of Truffaut's best and one of the best new wave films imo.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    For what it's worth, I'm with Clipper about Shoot the Piano Player. Not the most memorable movie - just a collection of disjointed jokes, some of which work, some of which not so much.
    No.

I'm on your side Derek, fantastic film, one of Truffaut's best and one of the best new wave films imo.
    Nice! It actually improved for me quite a bit the second time through.

I also thought Dark Days was great, but I'd still watch meg's documentary.

Oh yeah, I rewatched The Long Goodbye last night. That might actually be my favourite Altman film, and it might be my choice for best screenplay in a genre flick, like, ever.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Good-bye, Match Cut
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I'd sixth it.
    FILTH.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Of course; you loved the film. I didn't find any reason to care about any of the characters and it struck me as an unimportant, generic gangster movie. That said, it wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was that good either. Too much of a crowd pleaser, you might say. It doesn't take any risks.

Of course; you loved the film. I didn't find any reason to care about any of the characters and it struck me as an unimportant, generic gangster movie. That said, it wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was that good either. Too much of a crowd pleaser, you might say. It doesn't take any risks.
    Oh man, that's Derek's favourite thing to hear.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    Oh man, that's Derek's favourite thing to hear.
    Yeah, I know. But with this, it's character-based; there's very little possible depth aside from the promising of action and emotional reaction that the characters emit as a result of the movies long-winded gags and crime sequences. I know Derek argues that the movie is one of great depth, and I have heard many people argue the movie is like an onion, but I personally just couldn't see it. The introduction of subtext thirty minutes into the movie after we've already been following around who the hell knows for twenty-five strikes me as a poor directoral choice and while I could easily follow along because I'm sort of used to seeing movies like this, and I was curious about what was going to happen next, the movie didn't offer any insight as to how the characters reacted to the things that they were going through. For example, Charlie or whatever his name is doesn't seem the least impacted by his ex-wifes' suicide, and Truffaut feels a flashback does more than enough to sum up the characters' psychological state, which seems rather superficial to me. When Charlie and Léna are kidnapped, Truffaut does not bother with investigating how this abduction affects the characters, but rather, draws them into conversation with the criminals and avoids any emotional investigation or psychological examination entirely.

I just find the movie to be generally pretty bland as a whole. It's got everything there on the surface: a pretty decent story, awesome music, cinematography by Raoul Coutard, and it takes place in Paris and in some really awesome snowy mountains, but the movie never goes beyond these foundations; it never becomes a movie interested in exploring the characters' psyche and thereby offering any intellectual stimulation. Baby doll, from this site, once said Truffaut made art films for people who don't like art films, and I'm starting to see why. The 400 Blows was a masterful character study, but movies like Jules and Jim and this just strike me as generally uninspired.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I'm just not sure I watched the same film. Generic? Takes no risks? It's easily the riskiest thing I think Truffaut ever pulled. It barely even follows a script but rather the whims of its creator. Truffaut creates right from the beginning an entire car action sequence and then abandons it; he casually edits what feel like important character moments with quips of irreverent humor and so forth. What he creates is a tapestry of cinema, not really character or emotion. He puts himself, sometimes haphazardly, into each sequence in the film. I think it ultimately feels very organic and playful at the same time, and the greatest trick is the same Truffaut always pulled which is to create, almost out of thin air, moments of overwhelming emotion that both resonate and dissipate (here, the body sliding down the ice, the final images, etc.).

It's a gorgeous, beautiful and wickedly entertaining film. By far my favorite of Truffaut's.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

W/E

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
    Daisies
    The films of James Broughton: The Early Years
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

For example,
    A few more things:

1. Spoilers. When Fido is kidnapped, Clarisse is locked in the room and supposedly gets drunk, but after Léna asks her what occurred and concludes she is drunk, we never heard of her again. We can collect that Charlie and Léna would have went on to be together, but this doesn't occur, and we never learn anything else about Clarisse. She's just another character Truffaut introduces with no purpose. (One may even argue that Charlie is suffering after his ex-wife's suicide, but flash-forward, and Charlie doesn't not seem the least bit affected as he sees other women, and when Léna is killed, he seems to keep playing the piano happily.

2. After Léna dies, Truffaut puts another elipsis in the story as if to declare: This is a gangster movie! We don't need to add depth to characters; all they need are guns! Just like after Charlie's ex-wife commits suicide, Truffaut goes ahead in time and doesn't bother to explore how either death has affected Charlie.

3. Chico, the most interesting character in the movie just because of the brilliant performance and the fact that we're meant to believe he's the lead character in the beginning of the movie until Truffaut takes it off into a whole other direction, is never given enough screen time. Charlie's thoughts about him are limited to a line of voiceover dialogue. He runs off early in the movie and we never hear of him again from Charlie (though obviously, Chico has a big impact on what's to occur later; he isn't given nearly enough psychological screentime, if you will, to proportion the importance of his character; he's just there) and after Léna gets killed, they run off yet again.

Again, it's not like I have a major problem with this movie, but it seems I have caught your attention more than once these past few days, so I feel the need to elaborate a bit more than I usually would with a movie like this.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I'm just not sure I watched the same film. Generic? Takes no risks? It's easily the riskiest thing I think Truffaut ever pulled.
    I don't know about that. Truffaut casted someone to mirror himself in his own life for a series of about five movies (I've only seen the first one), but I think that is automatically riskier than anything he does here.

It barely even follows a script but rather the whims of its creator. Truffaut creates right from the beginning an entire car action sequence and then abandons it; he casually edits what feel like important character moments with quips of irreverent humor and so forth. What he creates is a tapestry of cinema, not really character or emotion.
    Right, but I need more than a "tapestry", even Godard's "tapestry" of a gangster flick, Band of Outsiders, has things to say about his characters and the urban alienation of their environment around them.

He puts himself, sometimes haphazardly, into each sequence in the film. I think it ultimately feels very organic and playful at the same time, and the greatest trick is the same Truffaut always pulled which is to create, almost out of thin air, moments of overwhelming emotion that both resonate and dissipate (here, the body sliding down the ice, the final images, etc.).
    It is playful, and the body sliding down the ice is an unsettling image, I will give you that, but how did he pull it out of thin air? She got shot, and fell down a snow-covered hill. It's not like there's anything innovative about that (but again, at the risk of sounding like a smartass again (and please tell me if I am), it is a good image made better by Coutard's camera).

It's a gorgeous, beautiful and wickedly entertaining film. By far my favorite of Truffaut's.
    I'm not giving up on him yet. There are still quite a few that interest me and I should probably revisit Jules and Jim, because I didn't like it very much at all the first time around.

the maker of my own evil Ivan Drago's Avatar
    WOAH. Just finished the first disc of Once Upon A Time In America...it's fucking great so far. But as much as I hate watching movies in two sittings, I may have to for this one, as it's getting late. :evil:
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Irishman (Scorsese, 2019) 4.999999999
    Waves (Shults, 2019) 3.5
    Sátántangó (Tarr, 1994) 5
    Charlie's Angels (Banks, 2019) 3
    Pain and Glory (Almodovar, 2019) 3.5
    The Outsiders (Coppola, 1983) 3.5
    Jojo Rabbit (Waititi, 2019) 4.5
    Under The Silver Lake (Mitchell, 2019) 4.5
    The Devils (Russell, 1971) 4.5
    First Love (Miike, 2019) 4
    Parasite (Bong, 2019) 4.5

Fox Force Five News

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    WOAH. Just finished the first disc of Once Upon A Time In America...it's fucking great so far. But as much as I hate watching movies in two sittings, I may have to for this one, as it's getting late. :evil:
    If I'm not mistaken, they foolishly put the intermission not too far into the second disk (no more than 15-20 minutes), so that's a better place to stop.

Redbelt or The Thin Red Line. Any thoughts on these? I've had them out from Netflix for too long now.

Quote Quoting right_for_the_moment (view post)
    Redbelt or The Thin Red Line. Any thoughts on these? I've had them out from Netflix for too long now.
    The Thin Red Line is pretty much the best movie.