Page 1166 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1666661066111611561164116511661167116811761216126616662166 ... LastLast
Results 29,126 to 29,150 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I've read "cult of Kubrick" people who go overboard and try to apply meaning to that helocopter shadow. I laugh at them.
    I don't think the helicopter shadow is visible when the aspect ratio is widescreen, which, contrary to common perception, seems the preferred method to view the film.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    King liked the shitty TV version.
    It didn't need the hedge animals, and it went on too long, but I kinda like it. Like The Stand, it's more a victim of its medium than anything else.

Not sure if you guys saw the news but David Carradine died in Thailand. Possible suicide. They are still not quite sure. Very sad.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Not sure if you guys saw the news but David Carradine died in Thailand. Possible suicide. They are still not quite sure. Very sad.
    We have a Celebrity Obituary thread in The Kitchen Sink, and BuffaloWilder mentioned it 2 hours ago here in the FDT.

King liked the shitty TV version.
    I have a feeling King doesn't have the most discriminating taste in movies. I'm sure I have read one of his EW articles and felt queasy afterwards.

Not much to do with Mick Garris and his King adaptations. Except see them if you must and not feel bad for fast forwarding through most of it. And try to ignore the continual presence of Steven Weber. The adaptation of Desperation is probably the worst thing Garris has done, if only because the King novel is totally blah, too.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

King's favorite adaptation is 1408, right?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Worse yet, have any of you seen the movie King directed? Emilio Estevez vs. Killer Sentient Appliances or whatever? Good lord, I hope it was meant to be campy. I mean c'mon, the kids playing softball being massacred by a soda dispensing machine pummeling them with airborne coke cans to Psycho-esque shrieking strings? And that's before the steamroller drives onto the field...
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I thought Desperation was OK - I liked it well enough - and I think it's a fantastic novel. Top 10 King for sure. I also think his EW column is the only thing worth reading in EW. It is often times brilliant, insightful, and funny.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Probably. (because it's not very good)

At the end of the recent and very useless King cash-in publication Stephen King at the Movies (which anthologizes the short stories that have been made into movies), he lists his ten favorite film adaptations at the end, although not in order and with no commentary (emphasizing how worthless that compilation book is), so I'm not really answering your question:

Apt Pupil
    Cujo
    Dolores Claiborne
    Green Mile
    Misery
    The Mist
    Shawshank Redemption
    Stand By Me
    Storm of the Century

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Really? Not Shawshank or Green Mile? I know he loved Carrie.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I thought Desperation was OK - I liked it well enough - and I think it's a fantastic novel. Top 10 King for sure. I also think his EW column is the only thing worth reading in EW. It is often times brilliant, insightful, and funny.
    I was really disappointed with Desperation. The demonology and setting were interesting, but everything else didn't do it for me.

Also, didn't mean to say anything about King's articles themselves. Just about his taste in movies, as his articles often reveal what movies he's currently geeking out over.

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Worse yet, have any of you seen the movie King directed? Emilio Estevez vs. Killer Sentient Appliances or whatever? Good lord, I hope it was meant to be campy. I mean c'mon, the kids playing softball being massacred by a soda dispensing machine pummeling them with airborne coke cans to Psycho-esque shrieking strings? And that's before the steamroller drives onto the field...
    I've been meaning to. You've just sold me.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't think the helicopter shadow is visible when the aspect ratio is widescreen, which, contrary to common perception, seems the preferred method to view the film.
    No, it isn't visible in the widescreen ratio.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

I think King's taste in movies is like his taste in books: he likes them. He watches and reads A TON OF STUFF. He is not overly discerning, he simply enjoys being exposed to as much as he can. He's like a sponge. Unlike a lot of us here, I don't think he is overly critical with the things he watches and reads. He likes a good yarn, and enjoys being entertained, and that's totally cool.

So, for his The Warriors remake, Tony Scott has been meeting with real life gangs in LA--Blood, Crips, all of them--and he plans to have the "Can you dig it" shot to feature 100,000 of these bangers gathered together, representing their real gangs.

In completely unrelated news, Tony Scott has been arrested for starting a major gang riot.
    Movie Theater Diary

So, for his The Warriors remake, Tony Scott has been meeting with real life gangs in LA--Blood, Crips, all of them--and he plans to have the "Can you dig it" shot to feature 100,000 of these bangers gathered together, representing their real gangs.

In completely unrelated news, Tony Scott has been arrested for starting a major gang riot.
    Yet to happen, right? You made me Google News search.

I wish him luck, LAPD approval, and the appropriate budgeting for increased security.

Maybe he showed them all Domino?
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

That's disgusting. Real gangs should not be glorified like that.

What's next, a movie about pedophiles in which real members of NAMBLA are used to populate a convention?

I just realized that there are a ton of King films that I've seen way too many of. I've even seen the Angela Bettis Carrie.

BEST
    1. The Shining
    2. Carrie
    3. Cujo
    4. The Mist
    5. Christine
    6. The Mangler (yeah, that's right, loud and proud)

INDIFFERENT: Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, 1408, Hooper's Salem's Lot

WORST
    1. Ugh CHILDREN OF THE CORN
    2. Ugh DREAMCATCHER
    3. Ugh NEEDFUL THINGS
    4. Ugh PET SEMATARY
    5. Ugh IT

Ugly set of movies right there. Scatter the Mick Garris movies in there somewhere.

Need to see The Dead Zone. Have the morbid desire to see Thinner. And do I have to see The Green Mile? Ehhhh.

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    Yet to happen, right? You made me Google News search.
    Yeah, sorry. No, he's still in pre-production. This is his plan for the film, to make a realistic modern-day LA gang culture Warriors, and he's visited the various gangs to ask for their participation. Most of them said yes, being fans of the original film, so it is going to happen should the movie start production, which is still a maybe.
    Movie Theater Diary

King readily admits how bad the movie turned out in his book On Writing. He was on a lot of coke when he made it, so just keep that in mind. Yes, it's supposed to be campy.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

That movie is kind of awesome. It used to be on basic cable all the time when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s so I've probably seen it at least five times. Love the AC/DC during the opening as well.

Yeah, sorry. No, he's still in pre-production. This is his plan for the film, to make a realistic modern-day LA gang culture Warriors, and he's visited the various gangs to ask for their participation. Most of them said yes, being fans of the original film, so it is going to happen should the movie start production, which is still a maybe.
    Wow, messy. Yeah, I think I'm with D_Davis on this one, the stunt shouldn't happen.

How do you exactly approach a gang? It's not like they have open houses.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    Wow, messy. Yeah, I think I'm with D_Davis on this one, the stunt shouldn't happen.
    A couple of months ago the Seattle Times, or PI, can't remember, did a series of interviews with gang members in which the bangers talked about all the crimes they've committed. It really made me angry; why aren't they in jail? They were confessing to crimes in the paper. I just don't get it. Then they also had pictures of them in their colors, and their tats and stuff; bangers see that crap as making them more "real" and "hard." I don't mind fake gang stuff in movies, but the real stuff makes me kind of sick, especially since I often lived in fear growing up in Fresno Ca.