Page 1120 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1206201020107011101118111911201121112211301170122016202120 ... LastLast
Results 27,976 to 28,000 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    I always thought Tom Gunning coined and articulated that term. I wasn't aware that Eisenstein also used the term, although I'm assuming he was probably discussed something different than Gunning.
    It's synonymous with "primitive cinema".

Quote Quoting sensesofcinema
    The concept of a 'cinema of attractions' comes from recent scholarship on early film, most notably that of Tom Gunning. The term is generally used as a replacement for what was considered the derogatory term, 'primitive cinema'. Both of these terms are meant to provide a category opposite narrative cinema, but current scholarship, particularly that of Lea Jacobs and Ben Brewster, has tended to see early cinema in terms of an evolutionary continuum as opposed to a system of narrative and opposition to narrative. Regardless of the use of the term 'cinema of attractions', it has given film scholars a way to discuss a category of film that, to quote Gunning, “directly solicits spectator attention, inciting visual curiosity, and supplying pleasure through an exciting spectacle” (13). The term 'pleasure' in Gunning's definition, however, is somewhat problematic in that the desired response of the cinema of attractions is not always pleasure. He goes on to explain that some of the attractions contained in early cinema include “recreations of shocking or curious incidents”, including executions (14). Now, it may be argued whether or not witnessing an execution actually elicits pleasure, but perhaps a better way of defining a cinema of attractions is filmmaking that is intended to elicit a primal response from the spectator in some way apart from the narrative. In point of fact, this definition is actually much closer to the original intent of the originator of the term 'attractions' in relation to the performing arts, Sergei Eisenstein.

In his 1923 essay on theatre, “The Montage of Attractions”, Eisenstein proposed a system of 'attractions' – aggressive actions in the presentation of a theatrical work – that subjected the audience “to emotional or psychological influence… calculated to produce specific emotional shocks in the spectator” (15). These shocks were intended to undermine the absorption of the spectator into the narrative and to keep the spectator thinking objectively about what they were watching being performed on the stage. The idea came from the presentational performances of the Grand Guignol and the traditional circus – low forms of entertainment in opposition to the high art of realist representational theatre (16). The concept of attractions in theatre was not motivated merely by a desire to, as Gunning puts it, épater le bourgeois (17). It was motivated out of a desire to make the political message of the theatrical piece clearer, more direct, and without the trappings of narrative including melodrama, allegory, and audience identification with the characters or their situation. But how do the attractions of the stage translate into the attractions of the screen?
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    It's synonymous with "primitive cinema".
    I see. I've known about Gunning's use of the term for a while, but I don't recall ever seeing it dated back to Eisenstein. Although, from reading that senseofcinema excerpt, it does look like there are some marked differences between the way they each tackled the term. Either way, good to know.

Pi(1998) was pretty goddamn awesome. Really I don't have anything else to offer at the moment, seeing as it demands a full review and I'm still digesting what the hell I saw. [
    ]

Also I got more satisfaction out of it than all of the Matrix movies combined. Pretty bitchin' techno soundtrack as well. I loved the use of black and white, as it only added to the feeling of paranoia. Not sure what to rate this, either, but so far Darren Aronofsky is 2-2 in my book.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I watched most of the second half of Death Wish 3 today. :lol:... seriously. :lol:
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    I watched most of the second half of Death Wish 3 today. :lol:... seriously. :lol:

Is that the one where he plants a chain gun in the middle of a highway?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Hey, like I said, I don't really care. No capitalization and no periods is fine with me--it's a totally legit (new) mode of communication. Books are being written about it. As long as the message gets across, things are gravy. It's too much work for me because I don't like to spend time formatting. Type, send, voila. The fewer keys hit, the better. I guess I write like I feel like I would talk. And when talking, I do not bold or italicize things, save for circumstances of emphasis.
    Punctuation is not about your convenience, you silly, silly man. It's about the reader's convenience.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

There's probably no better way to do a documentary about Mike Tyson then to let Mike Tyson just explain it all himself. Good stuff.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    There's probably no better way to do a documentary about Mike Tyson then to let Mike Tyson just explain it all himself. Good stuff.

Good to hear this.

The trailer looked like it could be good, but I was also afraid that much of it may have been written in a sugar-coated manner to make him seem more sympathetic. You can tell in some of the excerpts that he's reading his lines, so this was one of my fears.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Has anyone here seen any of Pagnol's Marseilles Trilogy? Hilarious stuff. I've seen Marius and am about halfway through Fanny, and I have to say the writing in these films is some of the best stuff from the 30's (that's saying a lot). It's a shame the actress who plays Fanny, Orane Demazis, is not that great.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Punctuation is not about your convenience, you silly, silly man. It's about the reader's convenience.
    I don't disagree. But comprehension is a cultivated thing. And it is frequently cultivated by the process by which we adapt to modes of communication. And it so happens that instant written conversation promotes a level of excision of figures. And we learn to understand it. It's like shorthand.

srsly

Greg Mclean's Giant Crocodile (Mclean, 2007) was pretty good. He's got him some character empathy and a little bit of that Herzogian nature awe. A little too much characters doing stupid things for the sake of narrative convenience and screechy musical crescendos though.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Good to hear this.

The trailer looked like it could be good, but I was also afraid that much of it may have been written in a sugar-coated manner to make him seem more sympathetic. You can tell in some of the excerpts that he's reading his lines, so this was one of my fears.
    There's bits where he is reading stuff, basically an interlude as it goes from one stage of his life to another. Mostly it's him just stating his opinion, and boy is it funny sometimes to hear it from him, because he doesn't really sugarcoat it. After he received a championship, "I believed I was God. I had parties, and had tremendous amounts of sexual activity."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    I watched about 20 minutes, near the end, on AMC. More or less in shock while watching it!
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I believe in punctuation, although I'm notoriously bad about doing anything to film titles except capitalizing them.

This book, which is awesome, describes punctuation not as a convenience, but a courtesy. It's like saying "please" and "thank you"... omitting punctuation isn't lazy, it's rude.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I believe in punctuation, although I'm notoriously bad about doing anything to film titles except capitalizing them.

This book, which is awesome, describes punctuation not as a convenience, but a courtesy. It's like saying "please" and "thank you"... omitting punctuation isn't lazy, it's rude.
    I got that book for my mom for her birthday one year.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Despite some cool iconic photography, I was pretty underwhelmed by Night of the Hunter. I found most of the acting to be appalling, and the screenplay had the subtlety of a car crash.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Seriously, maybe best biopic ever? Has anyone else seen this? The Mike? Grouchy?
    Same as Mike. If I found it, I'd watch it. On the interview with Carpenter on the Someone's Watching Me! DVD, he says he's very proud of it and wishes it would be seen more.

I'm 100% noob at downloading movies, but I'm starting to torrent Superman: Doomsday and Valkyrie. I'm gonna seek this one too.

I hope The Grudge 3 isn't indicative of Toby Wilkins' talent as it pertains to last year's Splinter, because this was about as underwhelmingly mediocre as they come. It's not really bad in itself, just generic and flat for the most part, with few interesting set pieces or style, too much exposition and attempted drama, new actors for the killer mom and kid ghosts (they couldn't find any Japanese actors for these parts?!), and a fresh reminder regarding some stupid additions to the Grudge mythology from the previous film that are expounded upon here, only to be proven utterly pointless at film's end, besides introducing a new apparition that makes for a pretty neat, if nonsensical, climax. If a second DTV sequel is produced, it'd be in the film's best interest to drop the pretensions of maintaining Shimizu's subdued style in favor of a slasher-esque freakout that the filmmakers were obviously inching towards here with the notable increases in violence and blood.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I'm an editor professionally. I use Chicago Manual of Style all the livelong day. It italicizes movie titles. Thus do I, out of habit and because I happen to think it looks better and cleaner. OCD a little.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Despite some cool iconic photography, I was pretty underwhelmed by Night of the Hunter. I found most of the acting to be appalling, and the screenplay had the subtlety of a car crash.
    I wouldn't go that far but I was similarly underwhelmed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    An all-time Top 20 for me. I can understand your reaction, the film is more of an acquired taste than its reputation suggests.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I'm an editor professionally. I use Chicago Manual of Style all the livelong day. It italicizes movie titles. Thus do I, out of habit and because I happen to think it looks better and cleaner. OCD a little.
    I was taught in school to underline book titles, film titles, etc. Has that changed?

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I was taught in school to underline book titles, film titles, etc. Has that changed?
    In high school I was taught to underline if I was writing long-hand, and to italicize if I was typing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Something that annoys the heck out of me is the newspaper I run reviews in requires movie titles to be in quotes. And the online magazine blogcritics requires them to be italicized. I have to format each review twice.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Something that annoys the heck out of me is the newspaper I run reviews in requires movie titles to be in quotes. And the online magazine blogcritics requires them to be italicized. I have to format each review twice.
    What if you quote and italicize?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+