Page 1118 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1186181018106811081116111711181119112011281168121816182118 ... LastLast
Results 27,926 to 27,950 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Hmm... Apparently Marty is going to do a Frank Sinatra biopic.

Eh.

Well, who should play him?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was thinking the other day that Michael Shannon should've played Howard Hughes in The Aviator. That would've been good.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    John Carpenter's Elvis is absolutely remarkable.
    Seriously, maybe best biopic ever? Has anyone else seen this? The Mike? Grouchy?

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    Yeah, it's a great article. Also look out for Rosenbaum's review of I Stand Alone. That's also a good one.
    I'll go check it out now.

After posting that bit about Brecht, I realized that Brecht would've only been 24/25 when Eisenstein wrote his article detailing "cinema of attractions". Perhaps Brecht took the idea and expanded and formed it to fit better with theater.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

What's the point of the pronunciation guide for Nibelungen? Similarly, a while back, what was the point of telling us that the footage playing during Kingsley's narration in A.I. was "B roll"?

I think I'm starting to see this alleged pompousness of yours that everyone goes on about. I think you're great, make no mistake, but you've got to tone down the smarty-pantsiness a bit.
    I think "Nibelungen" is fun to say, and when I describe something, I like to describe it as accurately as possible.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I'm sure this has been brought up 56871585185 times already, but it's always bugged me: what's with listing every film of foreign descent in its original language? When I have to look up the film in your sig or whatever just so I know what one you're talking about, there's a problem. Films like L'Avventura are spoken of almost solely in their original language, so those should be listed as such, but Last Year at Marienbad is rarely referred to as "L'année dernière * Marienbad" and Time Regained as "Le temps retrouvé" and so on. I understand and sympathize with the intent, but come on, it gets a bit silly.

Sorry, I had to say it.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    I'm sure this has been brought up 56871585185 times already, but it's always bugged me: what's with listing every film of foreign descent in its original language? When I have to look up the film in your sig or whatever just so I know what one you're talking about, there's a problem. Films like L'Avventura are spoken of almost solely in their original language, so those should be listed as such, but Last Year at Marienbad is rarely referred to as "L'année dernière * Marienbad" and Time Regained as "Le temps retrouvé" and so on. I understand and sympathize with the intent, but come on, it gets a bit silly.

Sorry, I had to say it.
    I only do it for French films. And maybe it's a Canadian thing, because I took French in school, but how hard is it to figure out that L'Année dernière * Marienbad is Last Year at Marienbad? I mean, even if you don't know the French words for last (dernière), year (année) or at (*), how many films have Marienbad in the title?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Does not read Sutter Cane The Mike's Avatar
    Seriously, maybe best biopic ever? Has anyone else seen this? The Mike? Grouchy?
    Haven't found it yet. :sad:
    The Mike

It's very very horrible, sir. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent.

From Midnight, With Love - My Midnight Movie Blog of Justice!

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I only do it for French films. And maybe it's a Canadian thing, because I took French in school, but how hard is it to figure out that L'Année dernière * Marienbad is Last Year at Marienbad? I mean, even if you don't know the French words for last (dernière), year (année) or at (*), how many films have Marienbad in the title?
    You're skirting the issue. Obviously, those two I know the English title to, but the point still stands.

Also, for those interested, piratebay has 2 Noe shorts.
    Last 5 Viewed

Dude, welcome to Match Cut 2007.

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    You're skirting the issue. Obviously, those two I know the English title to, but the point still stands.
    I started doing it with just films where the title didn't really translate into English (like Les Quatre cents coups), but I found it helped build my French vocabulary (I found it easier to grasp "ce," "cet," "cette" and "ces" because I remembered that Luis Buñuel's last film is called Cet obscur objet du désir), so I started doing it for all French movies.

If it makes you happier, I've decided to start referring to Vérités et mensonges as F for Fake again (and Le Procès as The Trial) because the film is in English.
    Just because...

The (New) World

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Boyle's Sunshine is pretty much exemplary sci-fi. It's artful, it's compelling in its ideas and in its extrapolation of the future, and it uses its archetypal characters in studied, careful ways. And though the third-act interjection of physical horror comes off as slightly less interesting than the first hour, it doesn't feel like an entirely different film at any point. Boyle and Garland are a good team, and this film is one that I could see myself returning to time and again and savoring its images and words.
    Indeed, Sunshine is one of the last few years' most underestimated films. I'm still flabbergasted by how Slumdog Millionaire was deemed by so many as a return to form for Boyle after Sunshine, when I feel the latter may be his best picture, whereas the former is such a pandering, vacant, tedious mess. The very fact that I found Slumdog so vacuous has tempted me to reconsider my position on Sunshine, but posts like these give me hope that it'll stand up to repeat viewings. I wrote some thoughts about it here: http://www.match-cut.org/showthread....yle#post115293
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I'm with Baby Doll, maybe it IS a Canadian thing. I usually use the english (or in cases like La Dolce Vita, the most popular spoken one), unless it's french, when I usually list the original language. It's far more comfortable to me, and often times I'm watching the film without subs, so it seems weird to write the title in English. I understand the complain, and maybe I'm making too much of an assumption as to people's knowledge of the french language, but it's more natural for me, and I don't see why I have to adjust that to please other people. Especialyl when I'm also listing the director/year.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    I'm with Baby Doll, maybe it IS a Canadian thing. I usually use the english (or in cases like La Dolce Vita, the most popular spoken one), unless it's french, when I usually list the original language. It's far more comfortable to me, and often times I'm watching the film without subs, so it seems weird to write the title in English. I understand the complain, and maybe I'm making too much of an assumption as to people's knowledge of the french language, but it's more natural for me, and I don't see why I have to adjust that to please other people. Especialyl when I'm also listing the director/year.
    You tell 'em, Red Philosopher.
    Just because...

The (New) World

You tell 'em, Red Philosopher.
    I'm so furious at this conversation, I'm not evne going to bother spell checking. The mistakes are a statement.
    Follow me on Twitter

Weekend:

*Pi(1998)
    *Mystery Science Theater 3000: "The Atomic Brain" and "The Unearthly"
    *Days of Heaven(1978)

All library rentals. Not sure if I'll like "Heaven," but I did enjoy The New World. It will be my second Malick. If I have time I'll also try and get to Le Cercle Rouge, which is going to be my first time Melville. My library has a solid amount of Criterions, and I'm going to try and watch as many of them as possible.

So if any of these wow me, I'll finally write another review. I haven't seen a movie really worth reviewing since 28 Days Later. I also discovered that I failed to avoid discussing some key spoiler plot points in my write up for All That Jazz. Although the back of the cover of the copy of the film I obtained mentioned some major moments in the movie, thus spoilering parts for me anyways.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Also, I can't count how many times I've seen people refer to The Celebration as Festen. Is there a big Danish sub-community on Match Cut that I wasn't aware of?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Also, I can't count how many times I've seen people refer to The Celebration as Festen. Is there a big Danish sub-community on Match Cut that I wasn't aware of?
    Well I'm part Danish as well as German and Norwegian :P
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

You're either being willfully ignorant or intensely naive. Even you know that there are some films that skirt the translation issue. Such as La Haine, which is popularly known over here as "La Haine."

You're either being willfully ignorant or intensely naive. Even you know that there are some films that skirt the translation issue. Such as La Haine, which is popularly known over here as "La Haine."
    But Kassovitz's film was released in North America under its original title. Vinterberg's was given the English title The Celebration by its US distributor, yet people use both the Danish and English titles without any confusion.
    Just because...

The (New) World

But Kassovitz's film was released in North America under its original title. Vinterberg's was given the English title The Celebration by its US distributor, yet people use both the Danish and English titles without any confusion.
    Sometimes it just works out that way. The film is popularly known as both, even in the States. The same way that La règle du jeu is interchangeable with Rules of the Game. You've just got to stay observant and take each title as it comes.

For the record, I've never given you a hard time about the French title thing. I know you're in Canada, I know that French is an official language of Canada. What you do bothers me no more than people that insist on bolding film titles, followed by a parenthetical with the last name of the director and the year.

people that insist on bolding film titles, followed by a parenthetical with the last name of the director and the year.
    Is this a point of contention 'round here?

I refer to movies by the title people are most likely to know them by. More specifically, the people I am talking to about said movie(s).
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Is this a point of contention 'round here?
    Not really. I'm just saying that baby doll's preference affects me in the same way that the aforementioned formatting does. Being little to nil. Personally, I think it's a little weird that some cannot simply write the title of the film in the way most people understand it without the hassle of parentheticals, dates, or italics, but hey... whatever floats people's boats.

Not really. I'm just saying that baby doll's preference affects me in the same way that the aforementioned formatting does. Being little to nil. Personally, I think it's a little weird that some cannot simply write the title of the film in the way most people understand it without the hassle of parentheticals, dates, or italics, but hey... whatever floats people's boats.
    For me, bolding the title ensures that people know it's a film title and not just another part of the conversation or the title of a book, CD -- whatever. It's kinda like putting quotes around a song title.
    Last 5 Viewed