Page 103 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 353931011021031041051131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    The score for the Sweet Hereafter is so wow, I can't stop listening to it.
    Yeah, it's amazing that it has my favorite Jane Siberry song as well.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Well, I have to call you on Die Nibelungen being unimaginative; Lang's mise en scene (tight and orderly in Siegfried's Death, messy and energetic in Kriemhild's Revenge) and his use of motifs (notice how both Hagen Tronje and Brunhild are associated with dark birds by their hats, while Siegfried's ability to communicate with birds associates him with light ones) give the film a thematic unity so that the experience of both films seen together is much more than the sum of its parts. But on a much more modest level, it's just an exquisitely beautiful film to look at.
    Please note that I did not call the film unimaginative but, rather, stated that Woman in the Moon is simply much more imaginative. You do not need to convince me of Lang's imagination.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Haven't seen the flick, but I suspect if it weren't for Shelley's tragic death, no one would've noticed yet another romantic comedy set in one of those movie small towns where everyone spends all day in the local diner eating apple pie and providing the heroine with little nuggets of homespun wisdom.
    :|

Try seeing the film first. It's much more Hartley than Marshall.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

So, I'm gonna need a little time to reflect on the fact that Kim Ki-suck made one of the best films of the year. I guess there was a reason I kept returning to him, as this is the film I was always hoping for though I certainly didn't expect it.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    So, I'm gonna need a little time to reflect on the fact that Kim Ki-suck made one of the best films of the year.
    As you reflect, consider the possibility that maybe it's you who has sucked all along.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    As you reflect, consider the possibility that maybe it's you who has sucked all along.
    No, 3 Iron was a piece of crap. Bad Guy was even worse. Even Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, which I liked, is ultimately less than the sum of its seasons.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

No, I'm pretty sure most of those other films (aside from 3-Iron which is good and Spring, Summer, etc. which is decent, I guess) sucked pretty hard. It certainly helped that he dropped the silent protagonist schtick and integrated the symbolism into the story in subtle, complex ways. Ya know, actually showing growth as a filmmaker.

No, I'm pretty sure most of those other films (aside from 3-Iron which is good and Spring, Summer, etc. which is decent, I guess) sucked pretty hard. It certainly helped that he dropped the silent protagonist schtick and integrated the symbolism into the story in subtle, complex ways. Ya know, actually showing growth as a filmmaker.
    I'll get back to you after you've had time to reflect. Clearly this is the old you speaking.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    God, how I wish I had had a chance to see Time in theaters... Certainly my 2007 list will not be complete without at least giving it a chance.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I'll get back to you after you've had time to reflect. Clearly this is the old you speaking.

Did you ever post thoughts about this one?

Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    God, how I wish I had had a chance to see Time in theaters... Certainly my 2007 list will not be complete without at least giving it a chance.
    It's out on DVD.

No, 3 Iron was a piece of crap. Bad Guy was even worse. Even Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, which I liked, is ultimately less than the sum of its seasons.
    I agree more with Derek... except I felt hat 3-iron was very good... Spring, Summer - decent... The Isle - Above average but ultimately fails... Bad Guy - Crap, agreed.

I'd say... 3-iron>Time>Spring, Summer

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    :|

Try seeing the film first. It's much more Hartley than Marshall.
    Can't stand Hartley.

Derek, was just going through your screening log... and did you ever write anything on 2 Days in Paris? (Your rating made me feel sad.)
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

3-Iron is magnificent and Odd Man Out is much more fun than a 7.5.

Quote Quoting jesse (view post)
    Derek, was just going through your screening log... and did you ever write anything on 2 Days in Paris? (Your rating made me feel sad.)
    No, I never wrote about that one. It's not particularly bad, just innocuous with a lot of the first-time filmmaker blemishes. What I liked most was the fact that while I expecting something of a vanity project or rehash of the Before films, she allowed her own character to be more flawed than Goldberg's. Some of the individual scenes were great, but I didn't think they came together into a fully cohesive film.

Did you ever post thoughts about this one?
    Checking my website, it appears not. I think I may have written something short back at the old site.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Odd Man Out is much more fun than a 7.5.
    It is a fun film and I love that a large portion of the film is James Mason becoming increasingly incapacitated and reliant upon others, who all reveal their own motives while trying to help him. I can't think of another film where a bullet to the arm was taken so seriously for such an extended period of time!

What was interesting to me about Time were the comparisons to Eternal Sunshine. The former does for the face what the latter does for the mind. Or something. I think I put it much better when the film was fresh in my head.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

No, I never wrote about that one. It's not particularly bad, just innocuous with a lot of the first-time filmmaker blemishes. What I liked most was the fact that while I expecting something of a vanity project or rehash of the Before films, she allowed her own character to be more flawed than Goldberg's. Some of the individual scenes were great, but I didn't think they came together into a fully cohesive film.
    Well, can't really argue with that since I agree and see where it could be problematic, but I really, really fell for it (actually, its still up there with my favorite films of the year so far).

I guess it helped that after reading most of her interviews over the years and listening to her music a lot, stylistically the film was almost exactly what I expected it to be--which means I expected a lot of interesting if flawed artistic decisions.

Reminds me, I never posted my own review in my blog. I'll do that now.
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    It certainly helped that he dropped the silent protagonist schtick and integrated the symbolism into the story in subtle, complex ways. Ya know, actually showing growth as a filmmaker.
    Whoa now. Time is a lot of things, but subtle is not one of them.

It's an okay flick though. 3-Iron is better, as its conceptual goals are more within Ki-Duk's grasp. Time feigns depth more than anything, and ultimately with only marginal success, though the final metaphysical "twist" has a certain elegance to it.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Who else thinks Die Hard 4 is against net neutrality?

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Whoa now. Time is a lot of things, but subtle is not one of them.

It's an okay flick though. 3-Iron is better, as its conceptual goals are more within Ki-Duk's grasp. Time feigns depth more than anything, and ultimately with only marginal success, though the final metaphysical "twist" has a certain elegance to it.
    I never said the film was subtle, but that Kim (at least compared to previous efforts) works the symbolism into the film, lets say more gracefully rather than subtly. I'll try to get some lengthier comments up, but probably won't have time before Sunday night.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Hm, I may have to see Time.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I never said the film was subtle, but that Kim (at least compared to previous efforts) works the symbolism into the film, lets say more gracefully rather than subtly. I'll try to get some lengthier comments up, but probably won't have time before Sunday night.
    I don't know if it was too graceful either. All that sculpture-on-the-waterfront imagery, and the paper-mask conceit didn't feel earned to me.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **