Page 2582 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1582208224822532257225802581258225832584259226322682 ... LastLast
Results 64,526 to 64,550 of 71984

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    For instance, what authors spring to your mind as the equivalent of any of the following filmmakers:

David Lynch
    Terrence Malick
    Wes Anderson
    P.T. Anderson
    The Coen Brothers
    Shane Carruth
    Steven Soderbergh
    Lynch - Thomas Ligotti, Michael Cisco
    Malick - Lord Dunsany
    Coen Brothers - Joe R. Lansdale (this is a match made in heaven)
    Steven Soderbergh - Steven King

I only hit over a 100 movies for the year thanks to a three month binge of horror films. I'm thinking next year I'll be watching more TV.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Did we ever have a thread for The World's End? I just saw it and was interested in what the reaction here was, but I'm too stupid to work this forum's search function... :derp:
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    Did we ever have a thread for The World's End? I just saw it and was interested in what the reaction here was, but I'm too stupid to work this forum's search function... :derp:
    http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...(Edgar-Wright)
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

The second hour of Zulawski's Possession is essentially one extended take of one-upsmanship atop another. Anna's subway freakout was genuinely unsettling, and the continued blurring of reality and horror that occurs thereafter was altogether viewing nirvana, since it could, and did, go anywhere. That closing, with the doubles and Bob in the bathtub and Helen's eyes--fascinating stuff. I'd love to read longer takes on this one, as it feels akin to the fever dream of Mulholland Dr., in quality and style both.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

The Paper Chase - The script for this is such trash. I watched it for Gordon Willis's involvement. His craft here is workman-like, not much else.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So I decided to rewatch Stargate tonight, it's been a few years, and I found myself in this situation below. What is the circumstance that this format would show up on today's HDTVs? I clearly remember watching this on a regular DVD player and it filling out the aspect ratio fine. For some reason when I tried to watch it in my PS3 or PS4 it looked like this. I get that's its a really old DVD; I know this because only 60 minutes of the movie is on each side of the DVD, but it still says Letterbox on the box.

edit: And I just checked Amazon to upgrade, I'm not sure this movie is even in print anymore...
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    The second hour of Zulawski's Possession is essentially one extended take of one-upsmanship atop another. Anna's subway freakout was genuinely unsettling, and the continued blurring of reality and horror that occurs thereafter was altogether viewing nirvana, since it could, and did, go anywhere. That closing, with the doubles and Bob in the bathtub and Helen's eyes--fascinating stuff. I'd love to read longer takes on this one, as it feels akin to the fever dream of Mulholland Dr., in quality and style both.
    That's it! Too many people talking about Possession here - just ordered it from Amazon!

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    it still says Letterbox on the box.
    That's why you're getting the black bars. They're part of the show. Letterboxing assumes you have a square TV. You can probably zoom in with your TV's settings, though. I do it all the time.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    That's why you're getting the black bars. They're part of the show. Letterboxing assumes you have a square TV. You can probably zoom in with your TV's settings, though. I do it all the time.
    Oh duh. I'm so out of it....

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yo Derek! Saw Last Chants for a Slow Dance with 1/5 on your 'boxd! 'Splain.

And Qrazy keep out of this.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Yo Derek! Saw Last Chants for a Slow Dance with 1/5 on your 'boxd! 'Splain.

And Qrazy keep out of this.
    Dunno. It's been a while, but I remember finding it pretty insufferable, irredeemable and not particularly astute as a character study. I'm still interested in seeing more from Jost, particularly Vermeers, which looked interesting from the scene I saw years ago.

Possession is great. I watched and enjoyed Stargate on Instant Viewing a couple months back.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

- - - - -
    This is one of the most mind blowing things I've ever read. About Vermeer & camera obscuras.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...mirrors-lenses

Penn & Teller made a documentary about it. Sony will release early next year.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    This is one of the most mind blowing things I've ever read. About Vermeer & camera obscuras.

Well, that was a great read.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Just watched Ugetsu. First time watching it. First time watching any Mizoguchi. Twas good. Soft and careful, quiet and sad. There were a few moments where the film skirted the line between relaxed and listless (a shot here or there). Its parallel of two different selfish ambitions was also a bit odd, in that only one carried supernatural elements. This isn't a criticism or anything. Both are involving.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Was definitely one of the top movies out of Telluride. I missed out on it and regret it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I watched two of my favorite 90s Sci-Fi films over the weekend. The Arrival and Stargate. Both of my copies on DVD were Letterbox, hence my posts above, so I was obligated to upgrade these to Blu-ray in my collection; They both appear to be out of print..

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I watched two of my favorite 90s Sci-Fi films over the weekend. The Arrival and Stargate. Both of my copies on DVD were Letterbox, hence my posts above, so I was obligated to upgrade these to Blu-ray in my collection; They both appear to be out of print..
    Cool. I dig both films quite a bit, and they are really entertaining and well made.

Also I finally got to watch Seconds. Fantastic movie, one of Frankenheimer's best. I think I'll try and finish his filmography at some point.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Recent watches:

Possession (1981, Andrzej Zulawski) - Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill - all sorts of messed up. That screaming scene in the subway!

Hackers (1995, Iain Softley) - I actually liked this a lot -very entertaining with some good acting from the kids and random roller skating thrown in.

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970, Elio Petri) - Just released I think and Netflix has it. Excellent dark comedy that has aged well. Should be remade - have the Coens made any political films?

I consider Burn After Reading to be a political film.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I don't feel like bumping the Argo thread, so I'll make mention here that I finally saw it. Can't believe it won best picture (well, yes I can because Slumdog Millionaire made anything possible). Just terrible. Manufactured, insensitive, inert. What I REALLY can't believe is that it won best editing. Switch gears, guy! Radio tower, where are you? Will the PA keep the mega-producer from entering his office before the phone stops ringing? Not a heartbeat skipped. All these important connections, tossed by the wayside. How does getting a fax from the President translate to all-of-a-sudden the booked flight comes up on the computer? I didn't even realize I was watching the climax until it was nearly over. And all those plodding, awkward music cues... Also, did EVERY line spoken in Farsi have to sound threatening? I try not to get too PC about things, but seriously, every Iranian in this film is a volatile, irrational zealot (except the housekeeper, which the film cheaply uses as a meaningless and thankfully ineffective tension builder). So, so many dumbnesses.

The good:
    The storming of the embassy was a skillful set piece.
    The mustaches were nicely 70s.

Dredd was pretty good. What a great way to make a cool action SF film while also keeping the budget down. It's a very straightforward movie, with non-flashy action, and a no-nonsense approach to its execution. It doesn't bog itself down with needless exposition or poorly done human drama; it quickly sets up the players, the setting, and the scenario, and then plays out in perfect fashion. It feels like a kind of genre film that simply isn't made anymore.

Carnal Knowledge was rather brutal and unflinching. I watched it six pack in hand last night on TCM and I find it interesting how its arguably sexist against men and women. Both are portrayed negatively. Longer review to follow at some point.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I don't see a thread for it, but Philomena is a slightly forgettable film buoyed by two winning lead performances. Had the film focused on their characters and less on the narrative, I believe it would have been stronger.