Page 2562 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1562206224622512255225602561256225632564257226122662 ... LastLast
Results 64,026 to 64,050 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I've seen Holy Motors, loved it, but that ain't him.

Dude's deceased.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

He was in of one of my all-time-favorite horror films.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Donald Pleasence in Wake in Fright

I spent that whole movie waiting for the movie to actually start.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    Donald Pleasence in Wake in Fright

I spent that whole movie waiting for the movie to actually start.
    DING, DING, DING!!

What didn't you like about it? Apart from the 'roo abuse (I haven't seen it). Really, I've heard it's a very good film.

I wrote something recently and when I was reading it over, I realized that I began every paragraph with a completely superfluous "now" (i.e. "Now, what do we really mean when we say..."). I also have a tendency to start sentences with "so" for no reason. I am not a good writer.
    i do that too

The animal abuse didn't bother me that much. My problem was the overall lack of drama or conflict. It has a promising start, but very early in the film, the main character basically hits rock bottom and never rises again. He spends most of the movie drinking and wasting time. I felt like the designated driver at a house full of drunk people.

And here I'd been thinking it was Jermaine Clement from Men in Black III.

I wrote something recently and when I was reading it over, I realized that I began every paragraph with a completely superfluous "now" (i.e. "Now, what do we really mean when we say..."). I also have a tendency to start sentences with "so" for no reason. I am not a good writer.
    Yeah, I suck too so don't worry.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Just unintentionally rewatched House of Games. It was so forgettable the first time that I'd forgotten I'd seen it. It's still crap.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You know, that guy with the erect penis that Spinal can't stop talking about.
    To be fair, that could be a lot of people.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I saw and liked Juno last night. I should feel dirty but I thought it was funny and entertaining. Still don't get what the fuss is all about though. Maybe people really hate the term "Homeslice?" Up next to watch in the category of "Modern Films Causing People To Go To High Extremes" is Crash (2005) but I really don't want to watch that movie. It looks boring.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I saw and liked Juno last night. I should feel dirty but I thought it was funny and entertaining. Still don't get what the fuss is all about though. Maybe people really hate the term "Homeslice?"
    I saw this in Toronto (one of the most multicultural cities in the world) with an audience made up almost entirely of white people who laughed hysterically at the Asian girl mispronouncing "All babies want to be bored," and who applauded with delight when Allison Janney told the brown ultrasound chick to go back to her own country. I'm just glad they don't have "Stand Your Ground" laws in Canada or else my brown-ish would be seriously dead by now.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Just unintentionally rewatched House of Games. It was so forgettable the first time that I'd forgotten I'd seen it. It's still crap.
    I've seen the movie twice for the exact same reasons. In fact, thinking about it now ... It's a blank. Joe Montegna, right?

Had the same experience with Sidney Lumet's "Q&A," with Nick Nolte and Timothy Hutton. I've rented that piece of junk three times already.

Had the same experience with Sidney Lumet's "Q&A," with Nick Nolte and Timothy Hutton. I've rented that piece of junk three times already.
    Oh, psh. Movie is terrific. One of the best $5 Wal-Mart bin movies, that's for sure.

New Buster Keaton footage found in Argentina. The world talks about it, Argentina doesn't. Hilarious. Anyways: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... blacksmith

Keep in mind, this Fernando MartÃ*n Peña is the same dude responsible for the restored Metropolis. Man is highly awesome.
    Last Film Loved

Mulholland Drive (Lynch)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    One of the best $5 Wal-Mart bin movies, that's for sure.
    Not sure I'd exctly call that a ringing endorsement, Sven

You don't judge your writing based on the first draft. If you caught the excess "nows" and "sos," that means you're a good enough writer to edit your own shit. Even fucking Vladimir Nabokov made some hilarious spelling mistakes in his draft for The Original of Laura. He would have probably edited them out later, but, you know, he died.
    Last Film Loved

Mulholland Drive (Lynch)

Quote Quoting Beau (view post)
    New Buster Keaton footage found in Argentina. The world talks about it, Argentina doesn't. Hilarious. Anyways: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... blacksmith

Keep in mind, this Fernando MartÃ*n Peña is the same dude responsible for the restored Metropolis. Man is highly awesome.
    Seriously. Every article I've seen is about it is in English. Argentinian press doesn't give a fuck.

I follow Peña on Facebook (I'm sure you do too) and he discovered this Keaton footage about a month ago. He said international film historians did not believe him at first, which is way it took them so long to actually check it out.

Not sure I'd exctly call that a ringing endorsement, Sven
    Other films from this bin: Total Recall, Natural Born Killers, All of Me, Phone Booth, Trespass, Bulworth, Rocky, Raising Arizona, and One Night at McCool's.

No finer weekend of cinema anywhere.

Other films from this bin: Total Recall, Natural Born Killers, All of Me, Phone Booth, Trespass, Bulworth, Rocky, Raising Arizona, and One Night at McCool's.

Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, No
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, No
    Raising Arizona? WTF?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Raising Arizona? WTF?
    Never been a fan.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -

:lol: Fair enough.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I saw this in Toronto (one of the most multicultural cities in the world) with an audience made up almost entirely of white people who laughed hysterically at the Asian girl mispronouncing "All babies want to be bored," and who applauded with delight when Allison Janney told the brown ultrasound chick to go back to her own country. I'm just glad they don't have "Stand Your Ground" laws in Canada or else my brown-ish would be seriously dead by now.
    I laughed at the Asian girl because she represents those silly people who stand in front of abortion clinics all of the time. I hate those people-in fact they were one of the reasons I became pro-choice.

I did laugh when Allison Janney told off the ultrasound woman, but after thinking about that scene I realized what they were going for and that it really didn't work. Look we get it: woman made stupid comment, shouldn't have said it, doesn't mean you completely go off on said woman who probably works what looked to me like a crappy job with decent pay. Sure she makes more I bet than most people, but that doesn't mean its fun or enjoyable to do that kind of work.

I'm not even sure about my overall rating for Juno. The comedy elements were strong, the dramatic parts were a mixed bag.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Watched La Dolce Vita on a 35mm print on the big screen tonight. Four viewings later and it's still an incredible film.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+