Page 2706 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1706220626062656269627042705270627072708271627562806 ... LastLast
Results 67,626 to 67,650 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Care to throw out a few titles? I've seen nothing. What's a good entry point?
    My favourites, in roughly descending order, are Teorema, Il fiore delle mille e una notte, Accattone!, The Gospel According to St. Matthew, The Hawks and the Sparrows, Mamma Roma, and Oedipus Rex.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Bertolucci's La commare secca, which Pasolini wrote, is also pretty terrific.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I'm an admirer of Salo. I don't think it's about story. It's about constructing the surreal perverse cruelty of fascism and it does so in a way that's highly effective and appropriately disturbing. I would think it would resonate right now. It's the kind of gonzo artistic vision that makes the 70s so great.

I'll add another voice in support of Teorema , which is the best Pasolini film I've seen.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Not much of a fan of Pasolini but I liked Teorema and Mamma Roma a lot. Salo was just pretty dull. It hasn't aged well but I can see why it was talked about when it was released.

Whelp, it appears Scarlett Johansson's dropped put of the project as a result of the backlash, so I guess that's that.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I was organizing my rankings in Letterboxd this morning and I think I've determined that 2005 was the worst year for cinema ever. I've never seen so many 1 and 1.5 star groupings before.

And 2012 and 1968 and 1954 are the best.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

2005 is also my weakest year for the 'aughts.

An acquaintance of mine posted a letter of congratulations to Scarlett for having quit the project. I wonder if he realizes that she was essentially forced to by the backlash.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I was organizing my rankings in Letterboxd this morning and I think I've determined that 2005 was the worst year for cinema ever. I've never seen so many 1 and 1.5 star groupings before.

And 2012 and 1968 and 1954 are the best.
    How'd you figure that out? I feel like a dummy but I can't think off the top of my head how to figure that stat without just sorting and counting manually.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    How'd you figure that out? I feel like a dummy but I can't think off the top of my head how to figure that stat without just sorting and counting manually.
    Unfortunately that was all I was doing. I am making a list of each year with the films I've seen and rank them using the LIST VIEW.

https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/list/2005/

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So I finally watched all two of George Lucas' non-Star Wars movies that he directed. THX 1138 was alright, a decent directorial debut. I've seen about a million other movies that are almost exactly like it, and without doing any research, I'm not sure how many of those came out before this or not, so I can't say for sure how influential it may have been? But even so, still a pretty decent and interesting flick in its own right. I did watch the director's cut version though, which I believe was put together much more recently, so I don't know how different it is from the original release. But I'd be interested to know, because there's seriously a ton of visual, and especially audio, precursors to the Star Wars films littered all throughout, so I'd be curious to know how much of that was inserted post-Star Wars, and what all did Star Wars actually take from this movie.

Also saw American Graffiti for the first time, and honestly, I was pretty damn impressed by this film. It feels both incredibly familiar, yet incredibly unique all at the same time. Just the way the story's told over the course of the night, hopping from car to car, and having so much dialogue take place between people yelling at one another from different cars, yet it somehow just feels normal and natural here? I dunno, but this was a pretty delightful film, almost like a slice of life through Hollywood lenses, with charming characters in a fun setting, but told in a way that feels really fresh, even today. Really, this movie makes me wish that George had ventured outside of Star Wars even more as a director, to see what other interesting takes and ideas he could've pull off.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Right on. THX, GRAFFITI, and STAR WARS make up a seriously impressive three-movie run, and when you watch them in relation to each other, Lucas shows a lot of variability and confidence in his storytelling. He really was a terrific filmmaker for a spell there.

Back to organizing my rankings again on this Friday. 2012- what a great year for discussion (also the year I've seen the most films out of any year). Look how diverse it was. I'm not trying to point out quality here but just of how many discussion topics there was. Does this year stand out for anyone else?

Tent-poles/Franchises:

The Avengers
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Hobbit
    John Carter
    Total Recall
    Wrath of the Titans
    Skyfall
    Dark Shadows
    Battleship
    Hunger Games
    The Amazing Spider-man
    Men in Black 3
    Underworld Awakening
    Resident Evil Retribution
    Snow White and the Huntsman

Horror:

Cabin in the Woods
    Prometheus
    The Tall Man
    ABCs of Death
    V/H/S
    The Woman in Black
    Antiviral
    ATM
    The Collection
    Paranormal Activity 4
    Sinister
    The Lords of Salem
    Chernobyl Diaries

Animation

ParaNorman
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Rise of the Guardians
    Justice Leage: Doom
    Wreck-it-Ralph
    Superman vs the Elite
    Brave

Action

The Raid
    Dredd
    Looper
    Contraband
    Haywire
    Safe
    Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
    Red Dawn
    Bullet to the Head
    Killing them Softly
    Taken 2
    Man on a Ledge

Comedy

The Dictator
    Ted
    21 Jump Street

Critically Discussed

Magic Mike
    Leviathan
    The Master
    Springbreaks
    To the Wonder
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Lawless
    Lockout
    Lincoln
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Django Unchained
    Chronicle
    Cloud atlas
    Much Ado About Nothing
    Mud
    Moonrise Kingdom
    The Grey
    The Place Beyond the Pines
    Argo
    Life of Pie
    John Dies at the End
    The Intouchables
    Side by Side
    Pitch Perfect
    Wrong
    The act of Killing
    Beasts of hte Southern Wild
    Silver Lining Playbook

- - - - -
    2012-2014 was a good period.

(Also, I like how you snuck "Prometheus" onto the list. Did you think nobody would notice your shenanigans? )

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    2012-2014 was a good period.

(Also, I like how you snuck "Prometheus" onto the list. Did you think nobody would notice your shenanigans? )
    I should have put it in it's own category as "Universally misunderstood".

I should have put it in it's own category as "Universally misunderstood".
    It's possible to understand a movie and still think it's lousy. And in the case of Prometheus, there isn't all that much to understand in the first place.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I watched Geostorm lol.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I watched Geostorm lol.
    Me too. That's about right.

Funny thing is, I'd watch it again.

Finally watched and reviewed The Dark Knight for the first time since 2008, and long review short, I felt that Nolan truly swung for the fences and constantly hit homers while doing so, creating an epic, multi-faceted, larger than life tale, driven by a dark, tragic tone, busy (in a good way) plotting, and an absolutely propulsive overall pace, almost never slowing down, but continually ramping things up to an almost unbearable degree, with a dread-laden, almost apocalyptic tone underpinning the whole affair. This is truly an uncommonly, undeniably powerful piece of pop entertainment, and all in all, my rewatch has convinced me that the (dark) knight in shining armor of modern-day cinema is officially here to stay, for a long, long time...

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    my rewatch has convinced me that the (dark) knight in shining armor of modern-day cinema is officially here to stay, for a long, long time...
    Given all the money Nolan's films have made over the past twenty years, I wasn't aware that there was any question of his not being able to continue making films (barring of course any unforeseen personal or health issues that would force him into early retirement). Or were you referring to Batman, or The Dark Knight?
    Just because...

The (New) World

I read it as him essentially saying that The Dark Knight has stood the test of time for him.

I'm re-watching the Mission Impossible franchise before seeing the new movie. The writers really don't stray too far away from the overall formula. So far, all three first movies involve terrible IMF employees.

Mission Impossible- Espionage thriller about a mole trying to sell information on the black market

Mission Impossible-II Action thriller about a former IMF Agent trying to sell a biological virus to a legit organization

Mission Impossible III - Wanna-be James Bond trying to stop a mole helping an arms dealer from selling a MacGuffin on the black market.

I'm re-watching the Mission Impossible franchise before seeing the new movie. The writers really don't stray too far away from the overall formula. So far, all three first movies involve terrible IMF employees.

Mission Impossible- Espionage thriller about a mole trying to sell information on the black market

Mission Impossible-II Action thriller about a former IMF Agent trying to sell a biological virus to a legit organization

Mission Impossible III - Wanna-be James Bond trying to stop a mole helping an arms dealer from selling a MacGuffin on the black market.
    Haha, everyone's kind of on the straight and narrow in Ghost Prote. Rogue Naysh has villainous MI6 employees but I think IMF is generally good.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I watched MIRACLE MILE (1988) last night, and now all I wanna do is just think about the flick and talk about the flick. Not perfect, but so weird and exciting and specific.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I watched MIRACLE MILE (1988) last night, and now all I wanna do is just think about the flick and talk about the flick. Not perfect, but so weird and exciting and specific.
    While the characters were all in the diner, I thought it was excellent; as soon as they left, it becomes campy and shrill and unintentionally hilarious in places.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    While the characters were all in the diner, I thought it was excellent; as soon as they left, it becomes campy and shrill and unintentionally hilarious in places.
    I guess it depends on which scenes you think are "unintentionally" hilarious, as some of the film seems to operate with a sort of absurdist humor. The cops blowing themselves up, for example. Or the one driver getting so road-raged up by Edwards leaping on top of his car that he makes the final moments of his life about tracking down Edwards and shooting him. Love the priorities, guy. Those bits folded into a surreal streak that evoked AFTER HOURS and made the tonal shifts feel appropriate instead of discombobulating.

I would agree with you that the diner scene is a standout, but if subsequent sequences fell from that peak, they didn't fall nearly far enough for me to have a negative reaction.