Page 2314 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13141814221422642304231223132314231523162324236424142814 ... LastLast
Results 57,826 to 57,850 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

What do you guys think of self-conscious compositions? I don't mind them personally.

Ex:

And I can't find the shot but that image in Woman in the Dunes of the lead framed behind the slats of a window simulating the bars of a jail.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

So much of their effectiveness depends on the context, not just within the film but also the quality of the material, acting, etc. on display. That is to say I think there are many incredible self-conscious shots in great films, yet when they show up in bad films, they are usually infuriating. That shot in Woman in the Dunes works beautifully as does, for example, the ending shot of Bresson's Pickpocket, yet the "prison bar shot" has felt forced and heavy-handed in more films than it actually works in.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    So much of their effectiveness depends on the context, not just within the film but also the quality of the material, acting, etc. on display. That is to say I think there are many incredible self-conscious shots in great films, yet when they show up in bad films, they are usually infuriating. That shot in Woman in the Dunes works beautifully as does, for example, the ending shot of Bresson's Pickpocket, yet the "prison bar shot" has felt forced and heavy-handed in more films than it actually works in.
    I agree but I have heard others criticize them in and of themselves. For instance I've heard criticisms of that shot in Ivan's Childhood being that type of composition that only a young filmmaker would make and that Tarkovsky would later grow out of that type of blatant symbolism. Tarkovsky may even have said something to that effect himself in Sculpting in Time, I can't quite recall.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Oh, internets. You are magnificent. Film Studies vis-a-vis Ryan Gosling.

The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

i wasn't expecting a whole lot out of weekend but i'll be damned if it didn't knock me on my ass.

I am currently fuming about being scammed out of a very expensive Effi Briest DVD that I used to own. :frustrated::evil:

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I am currently fuming about being scammed out of a very expensive Effi Briest DVD that I used to own. :frustrated::evil:
    How can you be scammed out of something you no longer own??

How can you be scammed out of something you no longer own??
    Because now "Carlos" has it. I was telling a present tense story about a past tense situation.

Because now "Carlos" has it. I was telling a present tense story about a past tense situation.
    Oh, you didn't realize how expensive it was 'til now. For shame, Sven, for shame.

Oh, you didn't realize how expensive it was 'til now. For shame, Sven, for shame.
    Of course I knew how expensive it was. Carlos eBay scammed me, and now I don't have the DVD or any money to show for it. Please do not shame me--I'm the victim.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Of course I knew how expensive it was. Carlos eBay scammed me, and now I don't have the DVD or any money to show for it. Please do not shame me--I'm the victim.
    I ask not to shame you, but for my own education: how does one get eBay scammed? I've sold a few things on there, and I always have the money before I send the item, either in my Paypal account or having cashed a check/money order. I once clicked a link that was messaged to me and had my auction cancelled, losing all the bids, so I'd love to know if there are new scams out there to avoid.

Well, it was my fault. 100%, absolutely. But the guy's still dishonest and I still got scammed. Massively expensive DVD. Guy buys it (on half.com, a less involving spinoff of eBay), requests media mail. Media Mail does not require you to send tracking information. But it is wise to do so anyway, in case it "gets lost" or whatever. So I think to myself "make sure to get tracking on this". Package gets shuffled around with a bunch of other DVDs and I forget. I send it First Class, because it's cheaper and faster. Three to four days later, guy emails me saying "please send tracking info on it." I don't have it. Weeks later, he demands refund.

Basically, he sent me that request right around the time he would've received the package, noticed that it didn't have tracking, and knew he could claim that he didn't get it. A side story: this guy also, months ago, demanded, with threats of reporting me to the site, a partial refund for a DVD that was listed "Like New" but had some slight scuffing on the plastic case.

So anyway, yes. My fault. His feedback shows a history of refund demands, with lots of sellers warning about him in responses to negative feedback he's given them over untimely refunds. Unfortunately, eBay no longer permits sellers to give negative feedback about buyers (which is utterly ridiculous), so the guy has no real noticeable red flags unless you do more research than is necessary (or reasonable if you are a higher quantity seller like I am).

Lesson: TRACK YOUR PACKAGES. Their shipping reimbursement doesn't cover the cost of tracking, but for expensive items, do it or you may lose it. Also, word your initial Match Cut posts complaining about it correctly--Derek may shame you otherwise.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I got burned on selling a $200 book even with delivery confirmation. I highly recommend using signature confirmation for any high price items.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I got burned on selling a $200 book even with delivery confirmation. I highly recommend using signature confirmation for any high price items.
    Ouch. Mine was not nearly so bad. Mind if I ask you to elaborate? Was it one of your comic books?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Ouch. Mine was not nearly so bad. Mind if I ask you to elaborate? Was it one of your comic books?
    It was a out of print Daredevil omnibus hardcover that sold for $200. The guy only paid for media mail shipping but I went ahead and shipped it priority with delivery confirmation. The book was delivered two days later and within one hour of the book showing as being delivered he emailed me saying he hadn't received the book and what was I going to do about it. Which immediately said off red flags that he was scamming me. Most people in that situation would have said maybe the mailman couldn't deliver it or accidently left it at a neighbor but he immediately put me to blame and wanted to know what I was gonna do. I told him that the item showed as being delivered and that at that point it was out of my hands (knowing that he had the book). He filed a complaint and even with delivery confirmation they sided with him saying that wasn't proof enough it was delivered. I responded saying "if evidence from a government agency that the item was delivered isn't good enough for you I don't know what is" and they responded saying I should have gotten signature confirmation. They refunded his money and he got to keep the book.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Oh man. I would have been even more furious than I am now. I would've killed the closest living thing.

Charlie Chaplin's Limelight (1952) is a really great film, and one of his best efforts. I loved Buster Keaton's cameo, and the film nicely balances both humor and drama. Older Charlie Chaplin is remarkably just as great as his younger self, and its fascinating to see him near the end of his career. [
    ]
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    You know Red Letter Media? Most widely known as the source of those epic feature-length pans of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, they've now released one for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and barring some lousy humor (the Mr. Plinkett routine has become pretty stale), it's incisive and hilarious as usual.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I just watched all of it and it's pretty spot on.

I didn't expect to like Cowboys & Aliens, but I didn't think it was going to be THAT terrible. What a boring movie.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Rewatched The Social Network with the fam. Mom loves it, dad likes it, bro and sis seemingly liked it.

I tried to not do that thing of where I'm constantly sneaking glances at them to see how they're responding. It's hard to not do that.

Still love the flick.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I tried to not do that thing of where I'm constantly sneaking glances at them to see how they're responding. It's hard to not do that.
    My brother in law does this to me and I hate it.

Why not ask after the movie?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Finally finished the Spielberg canon minus the two new ones and frankly Always wasn't that bad. I guess I"m just an unabashed fan of the man. It's certainly a chick flick and one of his most unashamedly sentimental works but it still possesses his trademark formal style and skill. Certainly not a great film but I can now say I don't think the man ever made a truly terrible one.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Why not ask after the movie?
    I have this habit, too. It's not a conscious decision.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.