Page 2215 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 12151715211521652205221322142215221622172225226523152715 ... LastLast
Results 55,351 to 55,375 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Ferran's Lady Chatterley is great. Now here's an example of a film that takes a rather bland premise (nobleman's wife cheats on him with working-class chap- yaaawwwnnn), and executes it with such artistry and humanity that it elevates to so much more. There's plenty to admire, but the most interesting for me is the connection drawn between Constance's sexual awakening and the Malickian, lovingly shot forest. In its use of nature as a metaphor for primal human desires, it's sort of like a friendlier Antichrist, but then the movie goes beyond that and creates between the two lovers a believable and mature romance. It actually ends with them having a grown-up discussion about their future! For that alone I have mad respect for it, and for everything else- the exquisite direction, the attention to detail, the genuine sensuality, Marina Hands' performance- I love it.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I watched Suspiria last night, since so many people mentioned it in the movie challenege thread. Boy was that a disaapointment. Probably the worst cut movie I've ever watched filled with over powering 70s music every time something scary is about to happen. Bad.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I watched Suspiria last night, since so many people mentioned it in the movie challenege thread. Boy was that a disaapointment. Probably the worst cut movie I've ever watched filled with over powering 70s music every time something scary is about to happen. Bad.
    The music is the best part.

I was so annoyed with it. Aside from the scene at the very beginning with the girl looking out the window, i didn't think the movie was all that terrifying either. As I mentioned, the cuts from scene to scene were horribly done. It felt like I was misisng pieces of the movie. Totally distracted me from the plot.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Fuck yeah. GOBLIN RULEZ!
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Haven't posted a top 10 in years:
    1. The Last Picture Show
    Did you rewatch this as part of the BBS box set? I love Last Picture, but I'm not a huge fan of Bogdanovich in general which puts a bit of a damper on it. I feel the same way about The Graduate and Nichols I suppose.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Eh, I wasn't scared at all either, but the colors! Seriously, that art direction made it worth it. And the scored rocked--that's the way all overbearing, intrusive scores should be.

Mean Creek is The Goonies of the early 00's.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Suspiria and Goblin are both awesome. However, for now I slightly prefer The Bird With The Crystal Plumage over it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Did you rewatch this as part of the BBS box set? I love Last Picture, but I'm not a huge fan of Bogdanovich in general which puts a bit of a damper on it. I feel the same way about The Graduate and Nichols I suppose.
    Yes. Great box set. Still great movie that seems so much better now that I've become familiar with small town life.

I'm not huge fan of Bogdanovich either. I do love Paper Moon and Mask though.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Do you have much experience with the masters of Italian horror? Argento, Bava, Fulci, etc?

I found them a bit confusing at first, but you really need to approach them with a certain mindset.

They're very much "style-over-substance" movies for the most part. I don't think I've been effectively frightened by many (if any) of them, but I adore them because they're so totally off the wall as audio-visual experiences.

Suspiria took me a few viewings to really appreciate it, but now I adore it.

I suggest checking out Deep Red next.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Do you have much experience with the masters of Italian horror? Argento, Bava, Fulci, etc?

I found them a bit confusing at first, but you really need to approach them with a certain mindset.

They're very much "style-over-substance" movies for the most part. I don't think I've been effectively frightened by many (if any) of them, but I adore them because they're so totally off the wall as audio-visual experiences.

Only Fulci, who I also do not like.

I have Deep Red, lost at my house somewhere from Netflix so Argento is on the chop block right now.

Only Fulci, who I also do not like.

I have Deep Red, lost at my house somewhere from Netflix so Argento is on the chop block right now.

Yeah, I don't like Fulci too much either, but he has one or two movies that are mildly enjoyable, but he mostly made crap.

Argento (pre-1990s) and Bava are masterful though.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

For now, I actually like Bava more than Argento. I think its cool that both managed to craft really interesting and atmospheric horror movies without large budgets.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    That seems to be a popular comparison. One that makes absolutely no sense to me. Two separate individuals I know called it "The Goonies for this generation." Is that being spouted by media outlets, or pushed by the studio or something? Seems odd, considering the two films have next to nothing in common, other than kids.
    I'd say it's a fair comparison. Different genres, stories, etc., but still very similar in the way they play out. A bunch of charming, goofy kids uncover a plot that ultimately results in them saving their towns.

The Goonies crossed my mind several times while watching this, but I never thought it was similar to something like The Sandlot just because the story is about a bunch of kids. I tried to fight the comparison myself, but it's there.

Either way, Super 8 wasn't Goonies-good.

I was so annoyed with it. Aside from the scene at the very beginning with the girl looking out the window, i didn't think the movie was all that terrifying either. As I mentioned, the cuts from scene to scene were horribly done. It felt like I was misisng pieces of the movie. Totally distracted me from the plot.
    The movie is supposed to seem that way. Argento was attempting to give it a dreamlike/nightmare feeling, where some things don't feel completely logical. I thought he nailed it.

And the music is terrific. My complaint is that it should be remastered for modern soundsystems, because it was originally mixed to blast and bounce off the back of the theater walls.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

They do definitely place style above all, but some have decent substance -- at least in terms of a gripping plot. I like Argento quite a bit, and definitely recommend "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage", "Deep Red", "Tenebre" and "Opera" in addition to "Suspiria". I was rather lukewarm to "Phenomena" despite the lovely Ms. Connelly.

I haven't seen too much of Fulci and Bava, but even their heyday seems a little more hit and miss.

If you can get your hands on them, I liked Pupi Avati's "The House with Laughing Windows" and have heard good things about "Zeder".

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Chac Mool (view post)
    I haven't seen too much of Fulci and Bava, but even their heyday seems a little more hit and miss.
    Hm, I would say Bava's "heyday" (aka, the 1960s) was consistently terrific. There are one, maybe two, Argento's I prefer to all of Bava's stuff, but Bava was the more consistent of the two.

I do not get Fulci. At all.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Hm, I would say Bava's "heyday" (aka, the 1960s) was consistently terrific. There are one, maybe two, Argento's I prefer to all of Bava's stuff, but Bava was the more consistent of the two.
    Top three Bava, for my own benefit?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    You should do a search of the Sangre... thread as I'm pretty sure all of us took turns ranking Bava's stuff at least once. For now...

Kill, Baby... Kill!
    Blood and Black Lace

Either The Whip and the Body (I stand alone here--most seem to dislike it) or Black Sunday
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Haven't posted a top 10 in years:

1. The Last Picture Show
    2. Slacker
    3. Heaven's Gate
    4. Barry Lyndon
    5. The Thin Blue Line
    6. The Man Who Fell to Earth
    7. Over the Edge
    8. Blue Valentine
    9. Drugstore Cowboy
    10. Harold and Maude

Rather lacking in foreign stuff, I know, but it reflects where my mind has been lately.
    Great list. Not a fan of some of the choices, but it's a helluva interesting mix. Particularly love the inclusion of stuff like Drugstore Cowboy, Slacker, and The Last Picture Show.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    You should do a search of the Sangre... thread as I'm pretty sure all of us took turns ranking Bava's stuff at least once. For now...
    Or here.

Black Sunday is quality.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Black Sunday is not very good.

Kill Baby...Kill and Blood and Black Lace, on the other hand, are. Need to see more Bava...Black Sabbath is on Netflix Instant and I believe Rowland's a big fan, so I'd like to get to that soon.