Page 2732 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1732223226322682272227302731273227332734274227822832 ... LastLast
Results 68,276 to 68,300 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I’m convinced that people who say the late-80s-to-late-90s, Tim Rice heavy Disney output sucked are nothing but attention seeking trolls.

The music in Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and The Lion King is the best the form has to offer.

Not a fan of The Little Mermaid because I'm not the target audience, but the animation and the songs are good. I like the rest of those listed, though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I’m convinced that people who say the late-80s-to-late-90s, Tim Rice heavy Disney output sucked are nothing but attention seeking trolls.

The music in Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and The Lion King is the best the form has to offer.
    The Emperor's New Groove and Hercules are better than all of them, though I do like Beauty and the Beast.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I like New Groove, but I wasn't a fan of Hercules.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I like New Groove, but I wasn't a fan of Hercules.
    lol, I’m of the opposite opinion.

- - - - -
    Hey, TGM, have you seen Refn's new weird thing? A tv show on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-1-Offi...dp/B07Q59QW9P/

ENG was a great movie that was fun to watch. Hercules was a bad movie that was fun to watch.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Hey, TGM, have you seen Refn's new weird thing? A tv show on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-1-Offi...dp/B07Q59QW9P/
    I heard about it, didn’t know it was already out though. I’ll have to get on that.

I didn't care for ENG, but Herc is really good imo.

Producer
    ENG is the best feature-length Chuck Jones film he never made. Best Disney film, imo.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Robert Altman:

[
    ]

His run in the 70's is probably the best streak from any filmmaker ever. I can't think of anybody else that made so many good movies for such a long stretch.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Robert Altman:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) - 8.5
    A Wedding (1978) - 8.5
    I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work there, Lou.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Robert Altman:

[
    ]

His run in the 70's is probably the best streak from any filmmaker ever. I can't think of anybody else that made so many good movies for such a long stretch.
    But then what a drop!!

Woody Allen in the '80s.

70's Woody Allen > 80's Woody Allen

I love Secret Honor. PBH rules.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    But then what a drop!!
    No kidding, the 80's were fucking dire, but he managed to come back strong in the 90's.

As for Allen, I'm not the biggest fan; regardless, there's at least one subpar movie (A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy) that would break any streak.

Producer
    Murder by Death (1976) - Holy mother of yellowface, in which what I thought at first would be fleeting surface aesthetic (which, ok, I still love Breakfast at Tiffany's and like John Hughes, so bring it on) turns out to be a constant full-course package (make-up, costume, speech being continously corrected, slurs, an actual Asian to be "humorously" contrasted with). Putting that asides with difficulty, I must make peace with the fact that this kind of comedy will not be wholly my kind of thing (Airplane! is probably the best I have seen objectively, and even that has a ceiling of how much I like it). Actors other than Sellers give great banters and double takes though, and embody their own detective tropes with fun satiric aplomp. And it's all worth it for Maggie Smith's reaction shots alone. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    The Princess Bride (1987)

Borderline one of my favorite films once upon a time. Sad it's not that anymore, but it's telling that my very long-ago memory of the whole plot stops shortly after the Fire Swamp. What follows is still a charming search-and-rescue adventure, but it feels so comparatively standard compared to that effortlessly blissful first half of pure concentrated myth. In those moments, the film's overwhelming atmosphere of an absolute classic being built is only strengthened by its self-awareness, somehow both sincere and subversive.

It simmers down to *just* a fun romp afterwards, although it's puzzling that the film's subversiveness doesn't reach Princess Buttercup, whose passive writing stops short of being a serious detriment only by Robin Wright's innate strenghth and charisma. Rallies around in the end stretch though, especially that breathtakingly magical shot of Wright jumping down to Andre, and the horse ride afterwards. The final "as you wish" also remains one of the great closing lines, never breaking the film's two layers at play, but still tying them together poignantly. That Peter Falk is the one who delivers that, in a perfect line reading, almost has me real choked up by it. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    King Kong (1933)'s sense of adventure and scale still transcends the advancement in technology and especially acting. The latter is so fitting for something this unapologetically grand that I unexpectedly enjoy the characters even in the Skull Island-less first act (not coincidentally, the human romance stands out the least awkwardly here out of the three versions). Also amazing how much the template is set right away for its two remakes; I previously thought Kong ripping off T-rex's jaws was Peter Jackson's own detail. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    70's Woody Allen > 80's Woody Allen
    70s:
    Bananas (1971) cold
    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask) spicy
    Sleeper (1973) mild
    Love and Death (1975) cold
    Annie Hall (1977) warm
    Interiors (1978) mild
    Manhattan (1979) spicy

80s:
    Stardust Memories (1980) warm
    A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982) cold
    Zelig (1983) cold
    Broadway Danny Rose (1984) spicy
    The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) warm
    Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) spicy
    Radio Days (1987) warm
    September (1987) cold
    Another Woman (1988) mild
    Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) mild
    New York Stories [segment "Oedipus Wrecks"] warm

I have to side with Grouchy on this one, especially if one views Hannah and Her Sisters as a more successful remake of Interiors. Also, as much as I still love Manhattan, its flaws seem more apparent to me with each passing year. The story moves in fits and starts rather than building any dramatic momentum, lurching awkwardly from one plot point to the next, and the narrative and Allen's direction don't even seem to be on speaking terms: A lot of the movie plays like a radio drama accompanied by a series of beautiful but irrelevant postcard images. Allen's most successful film overall is probably Match Point.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Klute was pretty good. Jane Fonda is really good but I think her character/acting is better in They Shoot Horses Don't They? from a few years earlier - she should have gotten an Oscar for that one. What stood out though was Charles Cioffi in a minor role - later hired on for a significant role in The X-Files (heavily influenced by Klute's director, Pakula).

Producer
    Love and Death (1975)

Sleepers
    had kept me away from early Allen comedies (granted, I was very young when I rented that), so I was completely knocked off guard by how great this is, instantly one of my favorite comedies, easy.

"For the past weeks, I've visited Seretsky in his room."
    "Why? What's in his room?
    ...Ohhhh."

[Bloody] "Does this come out from dry cleaning, or is this like gravy?"

"You have insulted the honor of Countess Alexandrovna."
    "Why? I let her finish first."
    "Her seconds will call on you."
    "Seconds? I never gave her seconds."

This must be among the most densely joke-per-minute films ever. It has me question myself though why my response is vastly different from the same year's Monty Python and the Holy Grail, in which my feeling on rewatch a few months ago remains distant admiration. Maybe something to do with this having a faint but more definite throughline that (very loosely) grounds the jokes from being too random for my taste. And also that those jokes are unmistakably very scripted, but executed by Allen and Keaton with such casual light touch as to have an almost thrillingly improvisational air? Any which way, one of the great, purely delightful comedies. 9/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

- - - - -
    Whelp. I feel down the youtube film-crit rabbit hole again. This time because of a reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDr..._their_mortal/

The topic is about a bunch of people I've never heard of (MauLer?) with massive followings (~200k, jfc) who do long, rambling critiques of popular movies (like "The Last Jedi," God save us).

But some of the comments are good. I particularly liked this one, which starts:

"I believe that good criticism should in fact make you vulnerable. It should be clear to the audience what you value and dislike, basically revealing your personality as the premise for choosing which qualities to judge and figuring out how well the experience of the medium met those qualities. Hearing / reading someone put that subjective experience into words to understand their point of view, or in the most satisfying case expressing mine in better words than I ever could and new insights, is what makes for interesting criticism/essays."

I took me literally years to figure that out.

Love and Death is hilarious. "I'm dead and they're talking about wheat."

Huge fan of Sleeper, as one of my many abandoned film threads on this site can attest to.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular