Page 2876 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1876237627762826286628742875287628772878 ... LastLast
Results 71,876 to 71,900 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Now, Voyager was fantastic. Perfect golden age Hollywood molodrama.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I still haven't seen that movie. I heard it's bad so I have to know for myself. For um, science.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

It's good, but not as impressive as May's first three films. (Mikey and Nicky may be my favourite film by an American woman. Carolee Schneemann's Fuses and Barbara Loden's Wanda are the only other contenders that come immediately to mind.)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    It's good, but not as impressive as May's first three films. (Mikey and Nicky may be my favourite film by an American woman. Carolee Schneemann's Fuses and Barbara Loden's Wanda are the only other contenders that come immediately to mind.)
    I'll have to see all of those first actually. Mikey and Nicky is a huge blindpot for me.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 06-02-2022 at 02:57 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

World Cinema Power Rankings:

1. U.S.A.
    2. Japan
    3. France
    4. Scandinavia
    5. Iran

These are the five I would choose to save first. If Scandinavia is cheating, then change to Sweden and swap places with Iran. Losing Carl Dreyer hurts.

What's your list?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)

1. U.S.A.
    2. Japan
    3. France
    4. Scandinavia
    5. Iran

These are the five I would choose to save first. If Scandinavia is cheating, then change to Sweden and swap places with Iran. Losing Carl Dreyer hurts.

What's your list?
    I would definitely replace Iran with Italy. You can't leave out Neorealism and Fellini.

After that I would consider switching Scandinavia with the UK, just for the sheer number of important movies they've produced, including David Lean, Powell and Pressburger, early Hitchcock, late Kubrick, Mike Leigh, among many others. I think that's enough to give it the edge over Bergman.

May’s humor/films … uh just fine. Mikey and Nicky is obviously great, though Ishtar is trash.

- - - - -
    @baby doll

1) Do you remember a discussion here a looooooooong time ago about John Ford's "Fort Apache"? You posted a link to a PDF paper written by some French (I think?) academic. It was mostly about the ending of the film. I was hoping you still had the paper lying around. I'd like another look at it. (I searched within the thread, but couldn't find your original post).

2) Have you seen Rivette's "La Belle Noiseuse," and if so, what did you think of it? Or of Rivette in a more general sense? I just finished and ... no words, really. But I have a strong urge to spend the rest of the evening looking out my window and drinking wine.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar

1. U.S.A.
    2. Japan
    3. France
    4. Scandinavia
    5. Iran

What's your list?
    In no order:

USA
    India
    Japan
    France
    Sweden
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    1) Do you remember a discussion here a looooooooong time ago about John Ford's "Fort Apache"? You posted a link to a PDF paper written by some French (I think?) academic. It was mostly about the ending of the film. I was hoping you still had the paper lying around. I'd like another look at it. (I searched within the thread, but couldn't find your original post).
    If memory serves, I was referring to an interview with Jean-Marie Straub in the first (and only) issue of the journal Enthusiasm, which is still available online. The bit about Fort Apache is on page 12.

2) Have you seen Rivette's "La Belle Noiseuse," and if so, what did you think of it? Or of Rivette in a more general sense? I just finished and ... no words, really. But I have a strong urge to spend the rest of the evening looking out my window and drinking wine.
    I've seen it twice, although the last time was a few years ago, and I don't have much to say about it other than it's great. (I've owned a copy of the shorter version, Divertimento, for several years but I've never been able to get through more than a few minutes: the jump cuts abridging scenes that play out in real time in the original were just too disruptive.) I was something of a Rivette fanatic when I was in my early 20s and watched the New Yorker VHS of Céline et Julie vont en bateau over and over, although, to my ever-lasting shame, I still haven't been able to see L'Amour fou in an acceptable transfer or found the time to watch either version of Out 1. Along with Céline et Julie and La Belle noiseuse, my other favourite is Duelle (une quaratine), although I've yet to see anything of Rivette's that was devoid of interest.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    After that I would consider switching Scandinavia with the UK, just for the sheer number of important movies they've produced, including David Lean, Powell and Pressburger, early Hitchcock, late Kubrick, Mike Leigh, among many others. I think that's enough to give it the edge over Bergman.
    There's a lot more to Scandinavian cinema than just Bergman, Victor Sjöström, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Roy Andersson, Aki Kaurismäki, Lars von Trier, and Ruben Östlund being only the first names that come to mind. (Incidentally, one might question how British the late films of Lean and Kubrick were, given that these films were bankrolled partly or entirely by American studios, and in Kubrick's case, all of his films after the '70s have American subjects.)
    Just because...

The (New) World

Victor Sjöström, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Roy Andersson, Aki Kaurismäki, Lars von Trier, and Ruben Östlund being only the first names that come to mind.
    I would add Thomas Vinterberg and Lukas Moodysson to this list. And Dreyer is up there with Bergman. Not familiar with Kaurismaki.

Quote Quoting Mal (view post)
    May’s humor/films … uh just fine. Mikey and Nicky is obviously great, though Ishtar is trash.
    Huge fan of The Heartbreak Kid here. I could watch that movie anytime. Cringe comedy is just my jam.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    In no order:

USA
    India
    Japan
    France
    Sweden
    India currently getting that RRR tilt.

- - - - -
    If memory serves, I was referring to an interview with Jean-Marie Straub in the first (and only) issue of the journal Enthusiasm, which is still available online. The bit about Fort Apache is on page 12.
    That looks like the one. Thank you!

I've seen it twice, although the last time was a few years ago, and I don't have much to say about it other than it's great. (I've owned a copy of the shorter version, Divertimento, for several years but I've never been able to get through more than a few minutes: the jump cuts abridging scenes that play out in real time in the original were just too disruptive.) I was something of a Rivette fanatic when I was in my early 20s and watched the New Yorker VHS of Céline et Julie vont en bateau over and over, although, to my ever-lasting shame, I still haven't been able to see L'Amour fou in an acceptable transfer or found the time to watch either version of Out 1. Along with Céline et Julie and La Belle noiseuse, my other favourite is Duelle (une quaratine), although I've yet to see anything of Rivette's that was devoid of interest.
    "Noiseuse" was the first of his I've seen. These New Wave bastards take me by surprise, always pushing the form and showing new things, reminding me what could be. Four hours of wonder and now I'm back in the real world. I can't quite engage with another rando novel or film. Everything on hand is somehow less interesting, obviously staged or contrived or false (most narrative film that comes to mind), or flat out ridiculous (the contemporary rolling Hollywood circus).

Anyway. Great movie.

Criterion Channel has a copy of "Céline et Julie" so I may check that out next. Appreciate all your recs. Thanks again!

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Someone stole my idea!

20s: A Page of Madness (to be remedied soon)
    30s: Dracula
    40s: The Big Sleep
    50s: Dial M for Murder
    60s: Charade
    70s: Rocky
    80s: Temple of Doom
    90s: Edward Scissorhands
    00s: Twilight
    10s: Avengers Endgame
    20s: Spiderman No Way Home

Least eager to rectify: Spiderman

Someone stole my idea!
    If KMS78 is trans, then all is forgiven.

1910s - Les Vampires
    20s - A Page of Madness (HM Napoleon)
    30s - Shanghai Express
    40s - Letter from an Unknown Woman
    50s - Peter Pan
    60s - The Jungle Book
    70s - The Aristocats
    80s - Back to the Future Part II (HM Top Gun)
    90s - 10 Things I Hate About You
    2000s - Little Miss Sunshine (HM Catch Me If You Can)
    10s - Joker

Some of these are hard to find like Napoleon, Shanghai Express and Letter from an Unknown Woman. Not a fan of Disney or J. Phoenix. Criterion has Les Vampires - I should check that out. Top Gun is in my queue and I see that Little Miss Sunshine has Toni in it so I should check that out as well. A Page of Madness is on Prime for $2 but it's SD and their SD versions usually look like shit.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Criterion has Les Vampires - I should check that out.
    I'll be starting this soon. I say "starting" because I plan to view it like a TV series.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a delightful movie. Very funny. The Dracula musical is definitely one of a kind thing.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆