Page 2539 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1539203924392489252925372538253925402541254925892639 ... LastLast
Results 63,451 to 63,475 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Mekas: Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania
    watched it last week! I am in a Mekas kick right now, funneling through that awesome boxset a french company put out with many of his films and shorts.

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania is obviously Mekas' most famous film, so I suppose one of his other lesser known works would've been an option, but I still think it's a bit obscure to the extent that's often a film avant-garde inclined cinephilies might know about, but not a lot have seen, or at least, not a lot of people seem to really talk about it or write about it. Like you're much more likely to find a theoretical analysis of a classic Snow, Brakhage, Viola, or Tscherkassky film than a Mekas, I feel. I could be wrong about that, though. This is all purely anecdotal.

Quote Quoting Israfel the Black (view post)
    Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania is obviously Mekas' most famous film, so I suppose one of his other lesser known works would've been an option, but I still think it's a bit obscure to the extent that's often a film avant-garde inclined cinephilies might know about, but not a lot have seen, or at least, not a lot of people seem to really talk about it or write about it. Like you're much more likely to find a theoretical analysis of a classic Snow, Brakhage, Viola, or Tscherkassky film than a Mekas, I feel. I could be wrong about that, though. This is all purely anecdotal.
    Bill Viola's early video work sucks (save for Reflecting Pool). Thats my theoretical analysis. His more recent installations, like Five Angels of the Millenium or all that triply slow-mo water stuff, are the only exciting stuff of his. Even the videos he made that are longer (Hatsu-yume, I Do Not Know What I am Like, etc.) aren't really that amazing, at least not enough to warrant a standing as one of the most visible names in video art or the avant garde.

[/COLOR]

:/

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Israfel the Black (view post)
    Well, other than As I Was Moving Ahead... (which I feel like has more recently become his most known and discussed film), it is the only one I have seen and is among my favorite films, as well as having a whopping 180 votes on imdb, so that's really the extent of my reason for naming it.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Right, I was just saying I think it's still relatively obscure in terms of who has seen it and how much it's talked about, even given that it's one of his more well-known works.

The 3 star viewing funk continues: Ron Mann's Twist (Ron Mann probably being the most average documentarist, always delivering a 3 star film every time out), Patrick Keiler's Robinson in Ruins which was way too dense in its social commentary of Britain to be accessible to non-Brits (at least on the first viewing) and way too sleepy in its narration given by Vanessa Redgrave. Her narraration was about as tone deaf as Shelly Duvalle's english narration for Un Homme Qui Dort. Also, Michael Powell's Thief of Baghdad was a 3 star effort.

Watching Stephen Frears' Bloody Kids now, there is much hope it will attain a rating above total mediocrity.

[/COLOR]

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    As B-Side says, (nostalgia) is the best of the three (I think they form a triptych).

You should watch Lemon if you're after a sensual experience from avant-garde cinema. It's beauteous.
    Lemon was alright, the silhouette shot towards the end redeemed it for me. As you and B-Side both correctly advised me however, (nostalgia) was brilliant, much better than I was prepared for after Critical Mass. After that pleasant surprise, I was excited to give more of Hampton's work a look, of which Maxwell's Demon and Surface Tension left me shrugging my shoulders, whereas the lesser known Gloria! is very good.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

just watched Destricted hmmmmm.....

The Marco Brambilla segment was pretty awesome, as was the Richard Prince one. The Gaspar Noe segment was egregious psycho-macho bullshit. Nice touch with [
    ], you are a provocative auteur Mr. Noe. The Larry Clark segment was good. The rest I was pretty indifferent to. 4/5

[/COLOR]

Quote Quoting Kurious Jorge v3.1 (view post)
    Watching Stephen Frears' Bloody Kids now, there is much hope it will attain a rating above total mediocrity.
    What the fuck has happened to Frears? I loved The Queen, but man has he been in a funk since. His most recent, Lay the Favorite, which basically went DTV, looks dreadful.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    What the fuck has happened to Frears? I loved The Queen, but man has he been in a funk since. His most recent, Lay the Favorite, which basically went DTV, looks dreadful.
    If you have a movie starring Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta Jones, Rebecca Hall, Joshua Jackson & Vince Vaughn and you can't even get a theater release the movie must be especially awful.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I dunno. Never been the hugest fan of his work. He has made a number of competent films but really has no crown jewel in his filmography. The Snapper, Bloody Kids, High Fidelity, The Hit are all good. The Queen and Dirty Pretty Things not that great. Thats all I have seen.

[/COLOR]

I recommend My Beautiful Laundrette and Prick Up Your Ears.

Rebecca Hall is terrific in Lay the Favorite.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I recommend My Beautiful Laundrette and Prick Up Your Ears.
    Seconded. Those are two great films.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Dangerous Liaisons is pretty stellar as well, and I love the style of The Grifters.. I also quite like Sammy and Rosie Get Laid. Frears in the 80's was top-notch.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Was off work sick today so I watched The Ides of March. Looking at Gosling and Clooney's sharp grooming I realised I needed a haircut. So I went and got one. Probably the most important thing I got out of the film, along with the startling revelation of the presence of unscrupulousness in American political campaigning.

Also, I saw Beau Travail the other night at the cinema. I watched this years ago as part of a film swap with Boner. I didn't get it then, and I am glad that my review has been lost to the sands of time. A hypnotic take on isolation: through personal insecurity; geographically; culturally. Interesting to view after seeing White Material, which extrapolates on this film's postcolonial themes. Holy Motors might be the best showcase for Denis Lavant's virtuosity, but this has got to be the best employment of his unique appearance.

Going to further theatrical screenings of Trouble Every Day, which I've seen before, and 35 Shots of Rum, which I haven't seen, over the next month or so, interspersed with a couple of Leos Carax films and Badlands. Fun.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Also, I saw Beau Travail the other night at the cinema. I watched this years ago as part of a film swap with Boner. I didn't get it then, and I am glad that my review has been lost to the sands of time. A hypnotic take on isolation: through personal insecurity; geographically; culturally.
    When I initially saw it I had the same confusion. A month or so after seeing it I recognized its utter brilliance. I cherish those types of films because they only come about so often.

[/COLOR]

Influenced wholly by Karina Longworth's Grantland piece on the film, this weekend we'll be revisiting Super Mario Bros. I like to believe it'll be crazy weird and fascinating, but memories from 11-year-old dd suggest that the film will simply be the suck again.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Kurious Jorge v3.1 (view post)
    When I initially saw it I had the same confusion. A month or so after seeing it I recognized its utter brilliance. I cherish those types of films because they only come about so often.
    I saw it and still feel it's quite average.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Qrazy's no stranger to being wrong.

It bored me when I watched it, which is surprising given a lot of the films I cherish. I owe it a rewatch.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Influenced wholly by Karina Longworth's Grantland piece on the film, this weekend we'll be revisiting Super Mario Bros. I like to believe it'll be crazy weird and fascinating, but 11-year dd suggests that the film will simply be the suck again.
    Thanks for the link.

The major take away for me after reading that whole thing is that you can still get an NES system that works. How the fuck is that possible? Even in 1993, I had blow into the cartridge till my face was blue before I could get it to work.

Incidentally, I love this paragraph:

Mario and Luigi themselves — probably due to the limitations of technology, but maybe also in keeping with deeply ingrained Japanese cultural attitudes — proceed through every adventure and ordeal with a blank smile on their faces. (This is never more frustrating than when you've reached an advanced level and you make some misstep that returns supersize, fireball-enabled Mario to his natural state as a functionally useless but imperturbably spunky runt; if this game sends a tangible message to kids, it's that a cheerful disposition is worth fuck-all if you're small.)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting B-side (view post)
    Qrazy's no stranger to being wrong.

It bored me when I watched it, which is surprising given a lot of the films I cherish. I owe it a rewatch.
    So you agree with me but I'm somehow wrong? You = Herpaderp.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    So you agree with me but I'm somehow wrong? You = Herpaderp.
    Just teasing, of course.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting B-side (view post)
    Just teasing, of course.
    I bet the government put you up to it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-