Page 2659 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1659215925592609264926572658265926602661266927092759 ... LastLast
Results 66,451 to 66,475 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

When I'm 100, the last thing on my mind will be the last time I taught a well-received course
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    My scores didn't count. That's why we need a recount. Maybe I'll do this when I get home.
    Please do, I'm not sure if i got in on that.

I'm not a Nolan fanboy, but I am excited for every release. He hasn't let me down yet. Maybe its because I watch so many bad films that its nice to be able to count on a Nolan film to at least be a solid film.

Speaking strictly about the Batman films, I think Batman Begins is the best, followed by Dark Knight which is elevated by Heath Ledger's incredible performance. He sells a movie which is otherwise convoluted and overly verbose by making his villain one of the most threatening of all time. Also, I can't remember Israfel's analysis, but there's this video analysis of a central action scene in Dark Knight which to me demonstrates very well why Nolan can't direct anything more compelling than two people sitting and talking to save his life.

I liked Dark Knight Rises back when I first saw it but every TV viewing I've made of it has brought it down another notch.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 12-10-2016 at 06:37 PM.

I love Batman Begins. The sequels are cooler, but Begins was phenomenal to me. My jaw was on the floor. I was more blown away than when I saw Burton's Batman as a kid.

I'm a fan of both Nolan and Malick. Clearly I've always wanted to be the fanboy douchebag hipster people are always bashing.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I'm a fan of both Nolan and Malick.
    That's totally fine, of course. There's no shame in that.

By the way, I actually can't think of myself as an ardent disliker of Nolan's work. The Prestige is one of my most memorable outings to the theatre, and I actually used to be a great admirer of Begins. I was less enthralled with Interstellar and Inception, though. I'm not terribly excited about Dunkirk, but Mark Rylance is in it, so I must see it. Alas, that smirking extra in the trailer indicates that Nolan is still a bit careless when it comes to micromanaging the complexities of his large-scale productions.

Well, The Prestige is his best and Begins was mostly a huge joy for a Batman freak like me.

Hah, now I need to see that smirking extra.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Begins was mostly a huge joy for a Batman freak like me.
    I was a big Batman fan when Begins was released (around then, I was reading lot of the comics for the first time). The change of pace and the more sober take was something I greatly admired. I've since come to dislike a number of its characteristics, but it's hardly a terrible film. I think it's probably still my favourite.

Someone once pointed out to me that TDKR feels more like a sequel to BB than TDK. My hunch is that there's something to that and it's kind of interesting. TDK certainly feels like an outlier (and, of course, it boasts the best performance via Ledger).

Hah, now I need to see that smirking extra.
    Here. I feel bad for the actor, who shouldn't be blamed for this. The mistake is Nolan's and perhaps that of his editorial department. As I've indicated, probably to the point of redundancy, this isn't the first time that a bad take has been noticed in one of his films (although, the example from TDKR is more immediately noticeable). I suspect it won't be in the final film, though.
    Last edited by Gittes; 12-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Hahah that's hilarious. What's the Dark Knight Rises example?

Hahah that's hilarious. What's the Dark Knight Rises example?
    Talia's death scene. Nolan hires a ridiculously talented actress, but he settles on that take? I mean, every actor has bad takes. It happens. Nolan should have been more discerning. He should have chosen a better demonstration of her skill. I suspect it happened on a hasty day of shooting and/or editing.

Cotillard discusses it here:

Last edited by Gittes; 12-13-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Hahahah that's just fucking painful to watch.

France is certainly a different culture. Even the worst roasts in the US don't seem to attack someone's job so blatantly.

It's heartening to hear her say she "wasn't really affected by this," though.

Anyone who tries to evaluate Cotillard's efficacy as an actor on the basis of Nolan's poorly selected take should immediately be encouraged to seek out, at the very least, Two Days, One Night and The Immigrant.

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    It's heartening to hear her say she "wasn't really affected by this," though.

Anyone who tries to evaluate Cotillard's efficacy as an actor on the basis of Nolan's poorly selected take should immediately be encouraged to seek out, at the very least, Two Days, One Night and The Immigrant.
    I haven't seen Two Days, One Night but I remember the clip the oscars played and it was the highlight of the night for me.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'm far from a "nerdy hipster movie doodler," but I dig both Malick and Nolan. Though Malick hasn't impressed me of late with his last two features. Never thought I say this, but I wish Malick would go back to being a hermit and release films a decade apart.
    Or at the very least with "something" going on. New World and Thin Red Line even had stories that could be traced.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh yeah, need to still watch the Two Days, One Night...

Anyone on MC watch Allies?? Swear I haven't even seen the post for it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Anyone on MC watch Allies?? Swear I haven't even seen the post for it.
    I'm assuming you mean Allied?

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...rt-Zemeckis%29

Spinal, judging by your signature you've been exceptionally good at seeking out movies you'll like as of late. I'm going through the same thing--but I can't help but ask myself if I'm "going soft" or if I'm simply spending my time wisely.

Edit: Or maybe it's just that time of year.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 12-14-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Spinal, judging by your signature you've been exceptionally good at seeking out movies you'll like as of late. I'm going through the same thing--but I can't help but ask myself if I'm "going soft" or if I'm simply spending my time wisely.

I'm the opposite atm - a raft of meh in a sea of eh.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)

Not sure if it's the time of year, or Spinal's getting a good run, or just going to more movies --- but he's quickly becoming my pilot fish / stalking horse / animal analogy for new movies.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Such a good movie. And a great performance.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I look back on those ratings and I don't know what I would change! I've really seen some great stuff lately. I finally caught up with The Babadook, which had me on edge like no other film I've seen in quite some time. I think few will question the greatness of Moonlight. A Man Called Ove and Don't Think Twice may not hit as hard for others, but both contained elements that felt very personal and emotional for me. I thought Arrival was a stunner and a movie that reconfigured the way I thought about language and foreign cultures. Hell or High Water was an outstanding exploration of economic hardship and distrust of authority. And The Handmaiden was just gorgeous and naughty and fun.

It may help to know that Captain Fantastic was probably somewhere in there and it didn't get a rating because I didn't make it through the movie.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Not sure if it's the time of year, or Spinal's getting a good run, or just going to more movies --- but he's quickly becoming my pilot fish / stalking horse / animal analogy for new movies.
    *flex*
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I've been on a documentary run, and its hard to stop when they're good!

Great:
    Little Dieter Needs To Fly
    Valley Uprising
    Stretch and Bobbito: Radio That Changed Lives
    Glory Daze: The Life and Times of Michael Alig

Good:
    The United States of America v James J. Bulger
    Lessons of Darkness
    Burn

Okay:
    Titanic's Final Mystery
    First Contact: Lost Tribe of the Amazon

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    *flex*
    *flex* back atcha, bro

(lol, gotta wait before I rep you again)