Page 2508 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1508200824082458249825062507250825092510251825582608 ... LastLast
Results 62,676 to 62,700 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Thieves Like Us: Thought this was OK-ish for the most part, starting strong with the early robbery scenes set against the muddy Missouri landscape, and then hitting a peak with Carradine's first spotting of Duvall, sitting round a table laughing with his cronies while nervously glancing at her every few seconds in the other room, all captured in a glorious master shot moodily lit with dim bare lightbulbs. Then it just sorta coasts on Altman's trademark murky atmospherics, remaining dramatically kinda flat (and Carradine/Duvall's pairing being a case of angular-feature overkill), until the outta-nowhere emotional gut-punch of its final scenes, and ending with one of the most effective slo-mo final shots I can think of; ambivalently capturing Duvall's re-integration into society as both an ascent to the heavens and zombie-fied march. Definitely the most caught-off-guard I've been by a film; might even rewatch soon to see what I might've missed. Still not as good as Ray's They Live by Night (both adapted from the same source).

Imamura's A Man Vanishes is a doco-fiction hybrid that he made independently after his early-to-mid 60's Nikkatsu tenure, focusing on one missing persons case before spinning off in myriad directions, eventually revealing the case to be a loose pretext for Imamura's own anthropological & sociological preoccupations; familiar from his fictional films, but extrapolated in greater detail here. It's dizzying, convoluted, and held my attention for its 2+ sprawling hours as much as it confused me, which is a lot. It's practically a blueprint for all reflexive Iranian cinema after, although its fourth-wall-breaking ending is a little wonky compared to Mahkmalbaf, Kiarostami et al.

Still, good stuff. I watched the UK MoC DVD, but only just found out that the US's Icarus are releasing it along with 5 other feature/featurette-length Imamura docos - including the ones excerpted in Mark Cousins' The Story of Film - which I'll definitely be buying.

Saw Ennio Morricone live last night. Obviously, a wonderful experience with many goosebump-inducing moments, even if I was letdown by the themes for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and the Mission since I felt they sounded a bit off compared to the actual scores from the movies. When the show was over, the applause was eardrum-shattering and the 84-year old returned for an encore. Amazingly, the orchestra then played the trailer theme for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Awesome! :lol:
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Thieves Like Us: Thought this was OK-ish for the most part, starting strong with the early robbery scenes set against the muddy Missouri landscape, and then hitting a peak with Carradine's first spotting of Duvall, sitting round a table laughing with his cronies while nervously glancing at her every few seconds in the other room, all captured in a glorious master shot moodily lit with dim bare lightbulbs. Then it just sorta coasts on Altman's trademark murky atmospherics, remaining dramatically kinda flat (and Carradine/Duvall's pairing being a case of angular-feature overkill), until the outta-nowhere emotional gut-punch of its final scenes, and ending with one of the most effective slo-mo final shots I can think of; ambivalently capturing Duvall's re-integration into society as both an ascent to the heavens and zombie-fied march. Definitely the most caught-off-guard I've been by a film; might even rewatch soon to see what I might've missed. Still not as good as Ray's They Live by Night (both adapted from the same source).
    I don't like either of those films.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I don't like either of those films.
    Merry Christmas, Qrazy!

A couple of my weekend xmas viewings:

Die Hard: This was my second time viewing it since watching a tv version during high school, so it might as well be considered a true first time watch. The action here is fantastic, and I enjoyed the whole labyrinth-esque chase scenes. My main problem was with all the filler and sub-plots. Everything involving the cops/fbi/television crew/limo driver was booooring. It would've been a much more intense experience if the film didn't meander quite so often, and stuck to well choreographed set pieces with Willis chewing scenery.

Remember the Night: The rip was shit but it didn't prevent me from getting all warm and tingly on the inside (minus the racism). MacMurray and Stanwyck were the perfect accidentally-fall-in-love couple. Look forward to rewatching it during future Christmas seasons.

I remember a long time ago, NickGlass came out and said he didn't like It's a Wonderful Life, which shocked a lot of people considering it's a "classic".

I was wondering if there is anyone who actively dislikes A Christmas Story? I don't think I've seen a naysayer ever (in real life or online). Since this is Match-Cut, there has to be someone out there who hates it (I'm looking at you Qrazy).
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I was wondering if there is anyone who actively dislikes A Christmas Story? I don't think I've seen a naysayer ever (in real life or online). Since this is Match-Cut, there has to be someone out there who hates it (I'm looking at you Qrazy).
    I don't despise it, but I've never found it interesting, involving, or charming. The leg lamp and the ice tongue are the only highlights for me--and modest ones at that. I could leave the rest.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

It's fine. Don't really get the cult.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I saw three trailers today with familiar pop songs that have been slowed down and recontextualized. This seems to be a growing cliche for trailers.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I remember a long time ago, NickGlass came out and said he didn't like It's a Wonderful Life, which shocked a lot of people considering it's a "classic".

I've never seen it. Don't think it's held in much esteem outside the US.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I saw three trailers today with familiar pop songs that have been slowed down and recontextualized. This seems to be a growing cliche for trailers.
    What trailers?

I'm having a hard time thinking of examples of this off the top of my head.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

It's too earnest for me to actively dislike it. I don't think it's particularly formally interesting () but it's fine.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    What trailers?

I'm having a hard time thinking of examples of this off the top of my head.
    Zero Dark Thirty - "Nothing Else Matters"

The Great Gatsby - "Happy Together"

Safe Haven - "Go Your Own Way"

See also The Social Network - "Creep"
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I've never seen it. Don't think it's held in much esteem outside the US.
    Ditto.

I've never seen it either, but I don't know how much that has to do with me not being American.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Do people still want me to do the DVD releases this week even though I missed it due to Christmas?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Do people still want me to do the DVD releases this week even though I missed it due to Christmas?
    Sure, if you want to.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Love to, just didn't know if people cared after the fact.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Love to, just didn't know if people cared after the fact.
    Actually, Amazon doesn't have a Dec 25th release section.... is it possible nothing new was released this week?

Actually, Amazon doesn't have a Dec 25th release section.... is it possible nothing new was released this week?
    Maybe on the 26th instead?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Maybe on the 26th instead?
    Yeh Amazon combined both last week's and this week's releases. Most of them come out on the 27th.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Ditto.
    Me too. Never even heard of A Christmas Story till I started posting on here. Not really my wheelhouse, though.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    A Christmas Story is pretty vignette-y, which is why it works for the season. It has real pacing problems, but some wonderfully absurd scenes; therefore, it is a quintessential "background film," where it's more enjoyable to pick and choose which parts to watch. Also, it earns a billion points for being a holiday film that isn't either too schmaltzy or too bitter.

Also, the director, Bob Clark, has an insanely eclectic filmography. Black Christmas or Porky's, anyone?
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Completely off-topic, but what are everyone's favourite scenes in which somebody infiltrates a base/mansion/etc with plenty of armed bodyguards and either goes about stealthily (or rather obnoxiously) killing everybody?