Page 2737 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1737223726372687272727352736273727382739274727872837 ... LastLast
Results 68,401 to 68,425 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Me too. I read one review on lettrboxed that was shockingly so. It was written by an absolute lunatic. 3/4s of the review had nothing to do with the movie, just ranting about how gamers should be allowed to impregnate any woman of their choice to further their tech smart DNA or some shit. It was disturbing. But...its the same kind of misguided nonsense that came with Fight Club. Agro dudes that came out of that flick wanting to start fight clubs and totally missed the point of the movie, that you should NOT be like that.

Sorry, derail, none of this meant to defend Joker, havent seen it.

Rewatched The Loveless again then rewatched it with the commentary with Kathryn Bigelow, Monty Montgomery (The Cowboy from Mulholland Dr.) and Willem Dafoe (his first film). Lots of interesting little nuggets like.... the movie played as a double bill with Mad Max for a year in London in 1980 where Walter Hill saw it, who then got in touch with Bigelow to ask about Dafoe.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Rewatched Slither tonight. Nathan Fillion is everything
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I’m still a bit worried about it coming across like a rallying cry for incels.

It doesn’t help that I’ve read several negative reviews by female critics, and very few by males.
    Who cares, as long as nobody hurts anybody? I've found the response online to be a little reactionary, eg: https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status...92546413944833

The film has only played Venice so far. Most of what I've read has been positive. (Of the 4 negative reviews on RT right now, only 1 was written by a woman.)

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Me too. I read one review on lettrboxed that was shockingly so. It was written by an absolute lunatic. 3/4s of the review had nothing to do with the movie, just ranting about how gamers should be allowed to impregnate any woman of their choice to further their tech smart DNA or some shit. It was disturbing. But...its the same kind of misguided nonsense that came with Fight Club. Agro dudes that came out of that flick wanting to start fight clubs and totally missed the point of the movie, that you should NOT be like that.
    Yeah but with stuff like that, you never know who wrote what or why. Could be a serious incel, a teenage edgelord, or an obvious troll. I mean, there's a parody review on Letterboxd right now that a lotta people took seriously. Like they're clenched and just waiting for the public freakouts.

All this stuff about OH MY GOD THE INCELS WHAT ABOUT THE INCELS WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE INCELS seems over the top to me.

It reminds me of when "Do the Right Thing" was released and there was a buncha (white) politicians playing Chicken Little and saying the film should be pulled from theaters because it will incite violence.

(Not saying any part of this is true of anyone here, but hopefully you all get what I'm saying.)

ETA: I've already muted the word "Joker" on social platforms that allow that, because I know the upcoming film twitter conversations about this movie will drive me absolutely batty.
    Last edited by Irish; 09-01-2019 at 03:51 AM.

I truly hope you're right. And with that sole review I read like that, I seriously question if that guy actually saw the film. He had zero info on it, and I doubt someone so seriously unstable had early Venice access.

Is that twitter thread what MCers mean when they say "film twitter"? Because fuck me was that exhausting horseshit.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Rewatched Slither tonight. Nathan Fillion is everything
    Also Elizabeth Banks, Greg Henry and the whole cast.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I still have no idea how Twitter became successful - I viruently despise its general layout and design. It's miserable for following a conversation over multiple tweets.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I still have no idea how Twitter became successful - I viruently despise its general layout and design. It's miserable for following a conversation over multiple tweets.
    I find I'm using it less and less too; The only times I'm actively on it, is when I'm watching sports, and I need to check for an update on a professional athlete's injury seconds after being removing from the game, or if I'm at work, there's an accident on the highway home, and I need to check Mass State Police feed to get the status of the removed wreckage.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm on twitter for two reasons, 1. Networking for the podcast and 2. To let loose my ire on anything I want to because twitter is too complicated or weird for my family to engage and give me shit about what I post.

Otherwise I completely agree it's garbage.

- - - - -
    I use it a lot, but it takes curation and attention. I constantly revise my feed and mute words (latest: "Joker," "Safdie," "Koch Brothers"). I also have a separate list for art and design magazines because RSS is dead and I have no other way of keeping up to date on those worlds.

But I almost never post, mostly because I resent the idea of becoming a digital sharecropper on Jack Dorsey's Nazi Farm.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    RSS is dead and I have no other way of keeping up to date on those worlds.
    This angers me to the core.

- - - - -
    This angers me to the core.
    Yeah, it sucks. But I gave up last year when The Hollywood Reporter updated their CMS and dropped it from their site. Outside of that example, though, over the last ~5 years I've come across a lot of small magazines and mid-size websites that never supported it. The only way to keep up with them is through Facebook, twitter, or ... bookmarks.

Couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of Chariots of Fire. My biggest issue I think was a total lack of characterization - of anyone.

Looks like I've been watching some Oscar winners lately. Terms of Endearment (1983, James L. Brooks) is a pretty decent film. Debra Winger and Holly Hunter (Broadcast News - another Brooks films) are incredibly alike. Hunter does comedy much better though. The film has a great cast - love Lithgow in this and Nicholson's caricature is in it as well.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of Chariots of Fire. My biggest issue I think was a total lack of characterization - of anyone.
    People always look at me aghast when I mention that I haven't seen this film--though I suspect it's their nostalgia that's anchored in the score, your reaction doesn't encourage me to get to it this year...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I would like MCs review of Relaxer. So I may judge you.

- - - - -
    Alex Billington is at it again, lol

This time he's raging about embargoes at Venice

https://twitter.com/i/events/1170819859904524289

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Alex Billington is at it again, lol

This time he's raging about embargoes at Venice

https://twitter.com/i/events/1170819859904524289
    "When you experience injustice, when you experience oppression in the world, you must speak up. While this is not that bad, I still fight."

What has he done before?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What has he done before?
    Waaaaay back, he allegedly blackmailed Universal Studios PR for access to a secret screening of "Scott Pilgrim." His behavior was so obnoxious that his own peer group (led by Drew McWeeny, Harry Knowles, and Devin Faraci) published an open letter condemning his bullshit.

A few years later, he was the guy at TIFF who called 911 on someone who used their cell phone during a movie.

He may or may not have flown to Turkey on studio dime and then refused to cover the movie unless given one on one interviews.

And then there's tweets like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ED-l42zX...png&name=small

Basically ... he's the millennial version of Jeffrey Welles, but much dumber.

I follow him on twitter, but he's so much the same with the rest of filmtwitter that it's hard to distinguish.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

He has "1800" Instagram followers but his pics only get 20 to 30 likes. That screams "I bought all my followers so people think I'm important"

I thought Driving Miss Daisy would be watchable since Morgan Freeman plays a major role. I was wrong.

I'm watching them all right now in order. Here's my ranking so far.

1.The Mummy 1999 ★★★★½
    2.The Mummy Returns 2001 ★★★★
    3.Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy 1955 ★★★
    4.The Mummy’s Hand 1940 ★★★
    5.The Mummy 2017 ★★★
    6.The Mummy 1932 ★★½
    7.The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor 2008 ★★
    8.The Mummy’s Tomb 1942 ★½
    9.The Mummy’s Ghost 1944 ★
    10.The Mummy’s Curse 1944 ★
    Updated so you don't have to watch.

1.The Mummy 1999 ★★★★½
    2.The Mummy Returns 2001 ★★★★
    3.Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy 1955 ★★★
    4.The Mummy’s Hand 1940 ★★★
    5. The Mummy 1959 ★★★
    6.The Mummy 2017 ★★★
    7.The Mummy 1932 ★★½
    8.The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb 1964 ★★½
    9.The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor 2008 ★★
    10.Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb 1971 ★½
    11.The Mummy’s Tomb 1942 ★½
    12.The Scorpion King 2002 ★½
    13.The Mummy’s Ghost 1944 ★
    14.The Scorpion King: Rise of a Warrior 2008 ★
    15.The Mummy’s Curse 1944 ★
    16.The Mummy’s Shroud 1967 ★