Page 2808 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 180823082708275827982806280728082809281028182858 ... LastLast
Results 70,176 to 70,200 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So this Elliot Page announcement is pretty big.
    I wish him the best. I have a friend in the same situation. It can be rough. People are assholes.

Ten years ago, every late night show would've been making jokes about it. So we've come a bit further since that at least.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I would recommend The Triplets of Belleville to add to that list.
    I showed this to everyone I knew in high school. I'm a fan. Would be a nostalgia trip to watch it again.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I showed this to everyone I knew in high school. I'm a fan. Would be a nostalgia trip to watch it again.
    Good! That was a random blind buy for me. What a picture!

I'm watching Peppermint, now on Netflix. Its not good, but who cares. SCAR...WHAT THE FUCK shotgun has she got?? I've never seen one like that. Its like that shortened barrel tech that loads from the back I think? I've seen that in rifle but not in shotgun.

- - - - -
    Celeb culture is a temperamental beast but it's wild to me how quickly people turned on Christ Pratt when he hasn't done [much] of anything at all.

eg:

- @KaylaAncrum: "Jack Black could replace Chris Pratt in anything that clown has ever been in"

- Mercury News: "Chris Pratt faces new Twitter hostility — this time for not being Jack Black"

Yeah, when did that happen...

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Celeb culture is a temperamental beast but it's wild to me how quickly people turned on Christ Pratt when he hasn't done [much] of anything at all.

eg:

- @KaylaAncrum: "Jack Black could replace Chris Pratt in anything that clown has ever been in"

- Mercury News: "Chris Pratt faces new Twitter hostility — this time for not being Jack Black"
    You should let it go. No need to spread this kind of animosity.

Irish is Chris Pratt confirmed.

Irish is Jack Black as Chris Pratt

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

As someone whose real first name and family name are single syllables, I have an affinity for both Jack Black and Chris Pratt. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, and Paul Rudd too.

Fuck Benedict Cumberbatch and Leonardo DiCaprio for real though.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

As some one with a six-syllable last name, I have a special affinity for Apichatpong Weerasethakul.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

eg:

They aren't wrong, though. Jack Black is definitely more talented than Chris Pratt.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    They aren't wrong, though. Jack Black is definitely more talented than Chris Pratt.
    To be fair, though, Jack Black sets a pretty high standard. Hell, the man is more talented than me.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Watched Jia's Xiao Wu on the Criterion Channel last week and was really impressed with the craft that Jia brought to his debut feature. It roamed yet it remained interesting, it questioned the changing mores of Chinese life even as it highlighted flaws with the older ways too (namely the indifference of the police system and how it treats our protagonist initially) and it featured one of the sweeter relationships in his filmography, with MeiMei and Xiao Wu's slow shift from tolerance to expectation around her, only to see that good shattered by others' moneyed interests. It also has a typically awesome ending shot, which is just wonderful. Makes me want to revisit Platform at some point, which I'd found slow on first viewing.

Also watched Kore-eda's Still Walking, which was surprisingly bittersweet. Felt like the melancholy spirit throughout earned its slightly uplifting ending, even if I like other of his works more.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Producer
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Watched Jia's Xiao Wu on the Criterion Channel last week and was really impressed with the craft that Jia brought to his debut feature. It roamed yet it remained interesting, it questioned the changing mores of Chinese life even as it highlighted flaws with the older ways too (namely the indifference of the police system and how it treats our protagonist initially) and it featured one of the sweeter relationships in his filmography, with MeiMei and Xiao Wu's slow shift from tolerance to expectation around her, only to see that good shattered by others' moneyed interests. It also has a typically awesome ending shot, which is just wonderful. Makes me want to revisit Platform at some point, which I'd found slow on first viewing.
    I've watched five Jia's so far, and this remains his most playful. Platform is my least favorite for your reason above, even if it is still very interesting both conceptually and formally enough for me to finish it.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I haven't yet gotten around to Xiao Wu, but from what I've seen of Jia's films, Platform strikes me as the most moving, mysterious, and inexhaustible of his films to-date (although The World and 24 City aren't far behind).
    Just because...

The (New) World

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

My anime escapade continues.

Mind Game was unlike anything I've ever seen. Seriously, what a trip. Highlights include the climactic escape sequence (can't imagine how long that took to animate) and rapid-cut bookends showing little key moments in each character's life. There's maybe one or two too many trippy non-sequitur moments inside the whale, and I could've done without the two mangina/penis shots, but otherwise this was among the best animes I've seen recently.

When Marnie Was There I didn't connect with at all. Boring movie with muddled themes. Bad title too. Music was good. I think I'll skip The Secret World of Arrietty as well as Mary and the Witches Flower.

Barefoot Gen was hard to watch. The famous bombing of Hiroshima scene was appropriately disturbing. I'm glad I watched it once, but I'd prefer to never watch it again and I really wish the voice actors didn't yell every single line.

Either Redline or Mirai is up next.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 12-09-2020 at 11:13 PM.

When Marnie Was There I didn't connect with at all. Boring movie with muddled themes. Bad title too. Music was good. I think I'll skip The Secret World of Arrietty as well as Mary and the Witches Flower.
    Arrietty the Borrower is a much better film than When Marnie Was There.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Mind Game was unlike anything I've ever seen. Seriously, what a trip. Highlights include the climactic escape sequence (can't imagine how long that took to animate) and rapid-cut bookends showing little key moments in each character's life. There's maybe one or two too many trippy non-sequitur moments inside the whale, and I could've done without the two mangina/penis shots, but otherwise this was among the best animes I've seen recently.
    Oh man Mind Game was dope. I don't like it nearly as much as some anime, but to me represents one of my favorite things about animation...animation can be anything.

I saw Ron Howard's The Beatles: Eight days a week yesterday. I'm a fan of the music and the band, and that these 4 guys from Liverpool could just become an overnight sensation and take the US by storm is just really damn awesome. So, I'm watching it and there's a few short interviews with random folks like Whoopie Goldberg, Richard Curtis, and suddenly Sigourney Weaver. And I'm like, love her, but couldn't they find anyone more relevant to this documentary? I just felt a bit arbitrary. And suddenly WHAM! Black and white footage, lasting 3 seconds, probably 1966, of the future Ellen Ripley just having the time of her life at a Beatles concert. So cool.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Now that I've taken a good peek beyond Studio Ghibli, anime seems bigger than ever and I'm not sure how long I'll be able to go without more. But after ten films by ten different directors, this particular anime binge is over.

Mirai wasn't the most visually impressive of the films I saw, but I can immediately see why Mamoru Hosoda is so beloved. This was an earnest and challenging movie about discovering one's role in a family, with tiny poetic moments that came and went before I could realize I was on the verge of tears (the kid comforting his mother as she slept hit me hard). I'm excited to dig into Hosoda a lot more: Wolf Children and The Boy and His Beast seem most promising to me (Hosoda is credited as writer), but by all accounts Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time are great as well.

If you require character depth, Redline isn't for you (the leads in particular are eyeroll worthy). But if you're a fan of cool machines powering up to critical levels, kinetic speed/violence/destruction, and Speed Racer-esque blink-and-you'll-miss-it editing trickery then Redline could very well be the greatest anime ever. Awesome and dumb--I wish I'd known about it in college.

I. Stalker's official December 2020 anime binge rankings:

1. Perfect Blue
    2. My Neighbors the Yamadas
    3. A Silent Voice
    4. Redline
    5. Mind Game
    6. Mirai
    7. Barefoot Gen
    8. Castle In the Sky
    9. Your Name
    10. When Marnie Was There

FWIW, seems like Prime Video has the best anime movie selection of the big streaming services. I've found enough cool stuff to fuel an entire second binge.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 12-14-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Have you seen Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade? I'm still not sure what to make of it, but the artistry on display is gorgeous.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Have you seen Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade? I'm still not sure what to make of it, but the artistry on display is gorgeous.
    I haven't seen it, but it's on my radar and free on Prime Video. I'll make sure it's among the selections for my next anime binge, along with Pom Poko, Robot Carnival, Belladonna of Sadness, Tokyo Godfathers, and something from Momaru Hosoda.