Page 2846 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 18462346274627962836284428452846284728482856 ... LastLast
Results 71,126 to 71,150 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I love Drive as well, it's a masterpiece. I only meant to point out that it's an aesthetic punch and not so much an immersive one - although the chase sequences are tight.
    I actually prefer the second chase sequence over the opening one just because of how it works. The opening one deserves plenty of love and credit but the second one feels like something out of a 90s or 70s action movie.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Putting aside that people have only started using "immersiveness" as a criterion of value in the last twenty years or so since The Lord of the Rings came out, the whole concept strikes me as fundamentally anti-aesthetic, the idea being that eventually digital photography will achieve such high resolution and three-dimensionality that it will be indistinguishable from real life. But even if that were possible (and I doubt that it is), it doesn't strike me as very desirable. When I watch The Apu Trilogy I don't feel as if I've been transported to West Bengal (for one thing it's in black and white), but I don't think that makes Satyajit Ray a lesser filmmaker than Peter Jackson. Maybe this is a quaint idea but I think movies should be movies and not real life. And in the case of Ramsay's film, I see little evidence that it was her intention to make an immersive film. The whole point of cutting to security camera footage at one point is to distance the spectator from the protagonist.
    The underlying reason why the film switched to the cameras during that scene wasn't because it was Ramsay's first preference in presenting it, though, but because of the limited timeframe they were given to make the film in (less than one month), which forced them to figure out a way to shoot that scene in one day's time, which is part of the reason why the scene (and the film as a whole) failed to be immersive as it should've been, since it was a creative decision motivated more by the limitations placed upon the production, and less by what would've been the most effective for the scene (and, since it's a graphic moment in a Psychological Thriller that otherwise takes the PoV of an extremely disturbed, unstable individual, detaching us from it makes little sense). That being said though, you misunderstood me when I mentioned the "immersiveness" of movies' aesthetics, because when I discuss that, I'm not talking about being immersed in the reality of a film's world to the point that we forget that we're watching a movie, I mean that a film's style immerses us deeply into a particular atmosphere, headspace, or mood (like the lush daydream vibe of Drive), regardless of whether it not that feels "real" or not.

That's also the reason why I wouldn't single out the LotR trilogy for having a particularly "immersive" aesthetic, as, while they're all well-directed films, and did immerse me deeply into the world of Middle Earth, that had less to do with their maniuplation of the stylistic elements that are unique to movies as a medium (cinematography, editing, sound design, etc.), and more to do with the practical elements of the costumes, the locations, or the esoteric, fantasy-based dialogue, all of which would also have immersed me if I had merely been there on-set to personally witness the scenes being filmed myself, similar to the effect that people get from playing a LARP, going through a really good "Haunted House", or attending a Renaissance Fair, you know?
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 06-07-2021 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Thanks professor!
    Hey now, this was a bit uncalled for...

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Sooooo brilliant. So much is revealed without a word.
    Absolutely, and it's why I'm baffled by the complaints I've seen about the film not being interested in digging into why The Driver's penchant for violence runs strong, when that's very self-explanatory from what the film presents to us; [
    ]

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    The underlying reason why the film switched to the cameras during that scene wasn't because it was Ramsay's first preference in presenting it, though, but because of the limited timeframe they were given to make the film in (less than one month), which forced them to figure out a way to shoot that scene in one day's time, which is part of the reason why the scene (and the film as a whole) failed to be immersive as it should've been, since it was a creative decision motivated more by the limitations placed upon the production, and less by what would've been the most effective for the scene (and, since it's a graphic moment in a Psychological Thriller that otherwise takes the PoV of an extremely disturbed, unstable individual, detaching us from it makes little sense). That being said though, you misunderstood me when I mentioned the "immersiveness" of movies' aesthetics, because when I discuss that, I'm not talking about being immersed in the reality of a film's world to the point that we forget that we're watching a movie, I mean that a film's style immerses us deeply into a particular atmosphere, headspace, or mood (like the lush daydream vibe of Drive), regardless of whether it not that feels "real" or not.
    As far as I'm concerned, the behind-the-scenes info is irrelevant; all that counts is what winds up on the screen. And in this case, precisely because the protagonist is a disturbed, unstable individual whom we can neither root for unproblematically nor reject outright, it makes sense that Ramsay's style would vacillate between aligning the spectator with his subjective impressions and a more distanced, outside perspective on his actions.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Absolutely, and it's why I'm baffled by the complaints I've seen about the film not being interested in digging into why The Driver's penchant for violence runs strong, when that's very self-explanatory from what the film presents to us; [
    ]
    Yep! And it also explained why he only drives. He doesn't want to put himself in a situation where violence is possible (maybe I'm reading too much into it).

In the not-so-humble opinion of the board, what are the best Miami films?

Miami Vice is pretty damn good. Bad Boys series. Miami Connection lol

Not sure if this counts, but I feel like I Am Cuba is a insanely good film that provides a sense of the culture and it's roots than many of the whitewashed films that like to provide stereotypical representations of what Miami culture seems like from the outside.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Hey now, this was a bit uncalled for...
    ???

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    ???
    It was a bit rude, IMO.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    In the not-so-humble opinion of the board, what are the best Miami films?
    I haven't seen the movie but Charles Willeford's novel Miami Blues is pretty great.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Man. Looking at upcoming movies and there's nothing that really gets me excited for most of the summer. I'll see Zola, but other than that, sheesh....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I haven't seen the movie but Charles Willeford's novel Miami Blues is pretty great.
    The movie is really good - seen it twice already and will probably see it again. Probably the best Miami movie.

s/o Miami Connection which contains maybe the greatest title card drop in film history
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Man. Looking at upcoming movies and there's nothing that really gets me excited for most of the summer. I'll see Zola, but other than that, sheesh....
    But Venom 2! Fall/Winter look promising, though.

The Last Duel - ***

- - - - -
    A few titles where I think a Miami/ South Florida setting is essential to the story:

- Adaptation
    - Cocaine Cowboys
    - Goldfinger
    - Out of Sight
    - The Birdcage
    - Body Heat
    - Thunderball
    - Wild Things

If novels had double bills, I'd pair this with Elmore Leonard's "Stick" (and then carefully avoid the movies made from these books).

That's also the reason why I wouldn't single out the LotR trilogy for having a particularly "immersive" aesthetic, as, while they're all well-directed films, and did immerse me deeply into the world of Middle Earth, that had less to do with their maniuplation of the stylistic elements that are unique to movies as a medium (cinematography, editing, sound design, etc.), and more to do with the practical elements of the costumes, the locations, or the esoteric, fantasy-based dialogue, all of which would also have immersed me if I had merely been there on-set to personally witness the scenes being filmed myself, similar to the effect that people get from playing a LARP, going through a really good "Haunted House", or attending a Renaissance Fair, you know?
    The phrase you're probably looking for is mise-en-scène.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    s/o Miami Connection which contains maybe the greatest title card drop in film history
    Hell yeah.

I liked Miami Vice (the movie). I need to see Miami Blues. Hey it's on Tubi, sweet!
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    After my first viewing of 8 1/2 in several years, I remember why I didn’t understand much about it when I was in high school: It's really heady and packed with philosophical ideas about life, art and the film industry, leaving viewers with a lot to ruminate on well after the film’s conclusion. That said, I still love how grounded the dream sequences are while still feeling surreal, I love the soundtrack, and the film has been impeccably restored. At the end of it all, though, what is clear is the film's point that making a film is a replication of existence on Earth. Despite the pressures and stressors that come with it, the act of filmmaking is a grand union of eclectic stars and businessmen with eccentric artists, all of whom are carrying personal stories and employ them to not only put on a show for all audiences to enjoy, but also to replicate the spectacle of life itself.

And I intend to see it again sometime next month because it's coming back as part of a month-long Fellini retrospective! My favorite arthouse theater here is playing mostly 4K DCPs of 8 1/2 and the following (bolded are the films I plan to see):

La Strada
    The White Sheik
    I Vitelloni
    Il Bidone
    Nights of Cabiria (have seen and liked)
    La Dolce Vita
    Juliet of the Spirits

Amarcord (have seen before and did not like)
    Orchestra Rehearsal
    And The Ship Sails On

Anything else in this retrospective I should definitely seek out? Fellini's one of my blind spots as a cinephile so I can't wait to fill it in the coming weeks.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

De Palma's Scarface is a good movie IMO, but I don't know if I should bring it up as a good example of a Miami movie, even though it's probably the most iconic depiction of that city to come out of Hollywood, since most of it was actually shot in LA, haha.
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 06-10-2021 at 07:34 AM.

I definitely don't think any movie has really captured what South Beach is like.

At least with Wild Things, it felt muggy and humid.

Haven't seen The Birdcage...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I watched Miami Blues not long ago. Like the actual city, it has its highlights but I'm not a fan overall.

Miami Blues was a great recommendation, thanks guys! Loved Alec Baldwin's offbeat character.

De Palma's Scarface is a good movie IMO, but I don't know if I should bring it up as a good example of a Miami movie, even though it's probably the most iconic depiction of that city to come out of Hollywood, since most of it was actually shot in LA, haha.
    It was the first and only one I could think of.

Anyway, I made a list.

Link isnt working for me