Page 2839 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 18392339273927892829283728382839284028412849 ... LastLast
Results 70,951 to 70,975 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've started going even further...how many times am I gonna rewatch this in the future?
    Child's play. One must ask one's self, "In an alternate reality in which I saw this ten years ago, how many times WOULD I have rewatched it by NOW?"

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    One of the easy ones is # of rewatches. Have I rewatched movie X over movie Y? If movie X wins, it gets a higher rank. (or lower rank... whatever is better).
    The problem with that is it biases the list against longer movies (I've seen only Shoah twice but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a better film than Nuit et brouillard, which I've seen many more times), films you only discovered recently, and films with depressing subject matter (I loved Stevie when it came out but I haven't been able to bring myself to revisit it).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    The problem with that is it biases the list against longer movies (I've seen only Shoah twice but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a better film than Nuit et brouillard, which I've seen many more times), films you only discovered recently, and films with depressing subject matter (I loved Stevie when it came out but I haven't been able to bring myself to revisit it).
    Totally fair point. And that's why there's other factors to include and why it's a constantly moving banking for me. I'm not watching Seven Samurai once a year.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    One of the easy ones is # of rewatches. Have I rewatched movie X over movie Y? If movie X wins, it gets a higher rank. (or lower rank... whatever is better).
    Hmmm. Solid advice, but I could run into trouble there. List might turn into "Hondo," repeated 100 times.

ETA: There are also certain movies I have a huge soft spot for --- but only from memory, because I literally haven't watched them in ~20 years and am afraid to revisit.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    7. The Quiet Man
    Watchlisted.

Hmmm. Solid advice, but I could run into trouble there. List might turn into "Hondo," repeated 100 times.

ETA: There are also certain movies I have a huge soft spot for --- but only from memory, because I literally haven't watched them in ~20 years and am afraid to revisit.
    I have many of these too and I have found through experience that most are best left as pleasant memories.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Yeh that just happened to me with True Lies. That was Cameron's finest movie for me and it wasn't until someone here, I think trans, pointed out the missed marks of humor. I went back and watched it with my wife and boy, it did not hold up as 13 year old me remembered it.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's why I'll never rewatch it. I want it frozen in glass and crystal for all time just as I remember it, goddamit!
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Nah. Movies deserve the test of time. The ones that can stand are the ones that rise above. Memory is fallible.

Anyone have any thoughts on Suburbicon or Stalin is Dead?

How do you guys order your top 100?

I made a list of personal favorites for a side project. Originally had it in alpha order as ranking them seemed impossible. Then I skimmed the list and bumped up anything (using letterboxd) that caught my eye. So now, to my surprise, my top 10 looks like this:

1. Cleo from 5 to 7
    2. 42nd Street
    3. Singin' in the Rain
    4. A Touch of Zen
    5. The Searchers
    6. The Red Shoes
    7. The Quiet Man
    8. Casablanca
    9. Memories of Murder
    10. Duck Soup

So my problem is: anything in slots 3-9 could legit just as easily be #2 ... but I can't bring myself to knock "42nd Street" down a slot. "Adventures of Robin Hood" sits in the mid-20s now and I think that's a terrific film, and should probably be higher. I've seen "Blade Runner" more times than anything else in my life and I don't know where to slot it, either.

Any tips from the pro rankers out there?
    Well, I haven't gotten anywhere near to a hundred on my personal favorites list yet, since I only add films once I've written something about them, but for what I have compiled so far, I just default to doing the easy thing and sort them alphabetically; I could try to figuratively hold a gun to my head and figure out which ones I like better than the others, but I feel that once a film has reached the 10/10 level, it's pointless to try to sort them by preference, since every single movie has a unique greatness in it that I can't find anywhere else, and forcing myself to choose any further would be a waste of energy.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Totally fair point. And that's why there's other factors to include and why it's a constantly moving banking for me. I'm not watching Seven Samurai once a year.
    I've seen The Seven Samurai three times. That said I prefer to go with movies that I love and own even if I haven't seen them endless times. I've only seen The Gold Rush once and I love that flick a lot.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Depends on the movie for a long overdue rewatch. Most of the time my first instincts were correct.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Revisiting Audition has made me want to dive further into Takashi Miike's filmography. I've only seen Audition, First Love, Ichi The Killer and parts of Dead or Alive and liked to loved all of them. What else is essential Miike viewing?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Revisiting Audition has made me want to dive further into Takashi Miike's filmography. I've only seen Audition, First Love, Ichi The Killer and parts of Dead or Alive and liked to loved all of them. What else is essential Miike viewing?
    I don't know, but I've had Blade of the Immortal on my shelf for some time and some vaca coming up...may be time to check that off...

Producer
    13 Assassins is my favorite of his.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -

^ "Star Wars" opening crawl from a 16mm anamorphic widescreen print --- ie, a version of the original movie without Lucas' updates and changes.

Apparently a full 2 hour version was posted to the Internet Archive years ago. (And it's still there.)

The print is in rough shape, but the sound is good. It's sorta charming to watch a busted up print of a movie that's very def looking almost 50 years old.

If you want more details, click over to YouTube and check the video description.

Holy shit. I played that next to a remastered copy and holy shit.

It's also interesting to see how the font and spacing has changed in the opening crawl.

Do you guys not think that if that was cleaned up and released officially it would sell like crazy?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Do you guys not think that if that was cleaned up and released officially it would sell like crazy?
    Of course it would.

Might hunt that down tonight and give it a watch.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Masters of Horror: Imprint
    The Happiness of the Katakuris
    Big Bang Love, Juvenile A
    Zebraman
    The Guys from Paradise
    Lesson of the Evil
    One Missed Call

EDIT: By the way, he seems to have turned completely to trash Japanese TV.

I believe you are the only one here who could answer this. According to the algorithm I use for selecting movies to watch for my dead people thread I should get on Jacques Rivette's Out 1, which at 13 hours is the fourth longest film of all time. Is it really worth the effort? I would obviously split it into parts, but the commitment seems insane.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I believe you are the only one here who could answer this. According to the algorithm I use for selecting movies to watch for my dead people thread I should get on Jacques Rivette's Out 1, which at 13 hours is the fourth longest film of all time. Is it really worth the effort? I would obviously split it into parts, but the commitment seems insane.
    I haven't seen it but I've been meaning to for years; when I was in my 20s, it was unavailable in a watchable version, and now that it is, I'm too busy to watch it. As for being "the fourth longest film of all time," technically the film is an eight-part miniseries, not a single feature.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I haven't seen it but I've been meaning to for years; when I was in my 20s, it was unavailable in a watchable version, and now that it is, I'm too busy to watch it. As for being "the fourth longest film of all time," technically the film is an eight-part miniseries, not a single feature.
    Wikipedia lists it as a narrative feature film, though.

But I might use that as a loophole and watch Duelle instead.