Page 2745 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1745224526452695273527432744274527462747275527952845 ... LastLast
Results 68,601 to 68,625 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    How does Major League (1989) rank among baseball films? I'm looking through films that expire on Thai Netflix at the end of the month and this is one of them, so wonder if it's worth watching.
    As a Cleveland sports fan, I adore that movie. "Fuck you JoBu! I do it myself!"

It still works today. For a comedy, that's pretty tough to do.

Remember loving Willie Mayes Hayes, so they must've shot around that pretty well.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Major League is good, but not as good as Bull Durham. Still it's worth a viewing for the awesome cast and the fun one liners.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

BASEketball is where it’s at for sports movies.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I love that movie too
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yep! I havent seen that in years.

Ummm what the fuck? https://www.boxofficemojo.com/

Genre, actor, inflation...... gone with most of the useful stuff hidden by a paywall.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Fuck me. I already hate how it looks. At least the daily numbers and theaters are still there.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Ummm what the fuck? https://www.boxofficemojo.com/

Genre, actor, inflation...... gone with most of the useful stuff hidden by a paywall.
    At least the fantasy league won't be impacted.

Didn't they try a paywall a few years ago and it failed completely?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    At least the fantasy league won't be impacted.

Didn't they try a paywall a few years ago and it failed completely?
    I dunno, but even the paywall stuff has completely removed some of the features that made boxofficemojo fun. The earnings per actor, genre and sub genre appear to all be gone.

- - - - -
    Update on Disney, Fox, and rep houses:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disn...its-vault.html

Looks like the worst has happened. Disney isn't allowing Fox movies to be shown at "for profit theaters." This includes back catalog stuff like "Alien," "Fight Club," "The Fly," and "The Princess Bride."

They just disappeared all that shit into their vaults.

All hail our Disney overlords.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    BASEketball is where it’s at for sports movies.
    That movie is hilarious.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Looks like the worst has happened. Disney isn't allowing Fox movies to be shown at "for profit theaters." This includes back catalog stuff like "Alien," "Fight Club," "The Fly," and "The Princess Bride."

I've seen all of those movies but viewing them on the big screen would have been nice. FUCK. Plus hurting independent theaters is a dick move.
    Last edited by MadMan; 10-25-2019 at 03:26 AM.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Tim Burton:

Vincent - 5.5
    Frankenweenie - 5.5
    Pee-wee's Big Adventure - 8.5
    Beetlejuice - 7
    Batman - 5.5
    Edward Scissorhands - 8.5
    Batman Returns - 4
    Ed Wood - 8.5
    Mars Attacks! - 5.5
    Sleepy Hollow - 5.5
    Planet of the Apes - 4
    Big Fish - 5.5
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 4
    Corpse Bride - 7
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - 5.5
    Alice in Wonderland - 1
    Dark Shadows - 5.5
    Frankenweenie - 2.5
    Big Eyes - 5.5
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 2.5
    Dumbo - Not watching it 'cause fuck that shit.

So does this guy win the 'biggest disparity between potential at the start of career and actual career' award or is he just a top contender?
    Last edited by StanleyK; 10-25-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

But hey, at least the X-Men can be in the MCU though, right?

But hey, at least the X-Men can be in the MCU though, right?
    That's a trade I'm fine with. How many of you actually went to re-watch these in theaters? Be honest. I think I saw Alien and Terminator 2 back in college.. back before it wasn't available in 37 other places.

If you haven't seen them, then this is complete faux outrage. Conglomerate or not.

That's a trade I'm fine with. How many of you actually went to re-watch these in theaters? Be honest. I think I saw Alien and Terminator 2 back in college.. back before it wasn't available in 37 other places.

If you haven't seen them, then this is complete faux outrage. Conglomerate or not.
    Yeah, but whether people can see Alien in a theater or not is a lesser concern of the issue. The bigger deal is that there are enough people who do want to see these movies in a theater that it's a significant contribution to the bottom line of these independent theaters and small chains. If you take that away, it just makes it that much harder for them to compete against Regal and AMC, which are not paragons of quality or variety. That's the crux of the story, not the actual availability of the movies. I for one am not cool with anything that makes the business harder for people who actually give a shit about the movie on the screen and the experience of the audience member after they've paid for their ticket.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Yeah, but whether people can see Alien in a theater or not is a lesser concern of the issue. The bigger deal is that there are enough people who do want to see these movies in a theater that it's a significant contribution to the bottom line of these independent theaters and small chains. If you take that away, it just makes it that much harder for them to compete against Regal and AMC, which are not paragons of quality or variety. That's the crux of the story, not the actual availability of the movies. I for one am not cool with anything that makes the business harder for people who actually give a shit about the movie on the screen and the experience of the audience member after they've paid for their ticket.
    Fair point. Totally whiffed on that aspect.

Counterpoint. It's the Walmart conundrum all over again. They are shutting down small business, but creating thousands of jobs in the process.

How is this even an argument? I've never had an abortion, but I'm going to complain if my country ever outlaws it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    How is this even an argument? I've never had an abortion, but I'm going to complain if my country ever outlaws it.
    You missed my last post maybe? I could post it again or you can read better.

You missed my last post maybe? I could post it again or you can read better.
    Please explain to me how what I quoted is an argument first, and we'll go from there.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Please explain to me how what I quoted is an argument first, and we'll go from there.
    Well if I was ONLY thinking about availability of a film, and not taking into account the other things wrong with this Disney move, then maybe, just maybe, my post wouldn't be so myopic. Just maybe.

Well if I was ONLY thinking about availability of a film, and not taking into account the other things wrong with this Disney move, then maybe, just maybe, my post wouldn't be so myopic. Just maybe.
    Okay, but I don't understand the general concept of you thinking that if we don't personally watch the films ourselves, we can't complain about them being taken away from others, that's all. Seems like an odd way of looking at things (if it doesn't personally affect you, then it is "faux outrage" and thus... not genuine? Dismissable? I don't know. That's what I wanted to clarify.). Anyway.....
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Fair point. Totally whiffed on that aspect.

Counterpoint. It's the Walmart conundrum all over again. They are shutting down small business, but creating thousands of jobs in the process.
    It's Walmart but I don't see any upside. Harms small businesses and harms Disney competitors. There's a bit in the article about Disney would rather have one more screen of Frozen II whether anyone actually buys a ticket or not just because it keeps Sony or Paramount from having a screen for their movie. I don't see job creation at the big chains as a result of this either.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford