Page 2687 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1687218725872637267726852686268726882689269727372787 ... LastLast
Results 67,151 to 67,175 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I want to watch some Korean films - any recommendations among these?

http://www.mardelplatafilmfest.com/es/programacion

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Well, it looks like I'm going to the Mar del Plata film festival!

I need to check out less obvious films I haven't heard of, but so far I'm pretty sure I'll watch:

The Shape of Water
    Lucky
    Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri
    Brawl in Cell Block 99
    I watched Brawl last night. Crazy flick.

I want to watch some Korean films - any recommendations among these?

http://www.mardelplatafilmfest.com/es/programacion
    Definitely Die Bad.

Of the others I have seen, A Taxi Driver is rather conventional, but depicts an interesting moment in the country's history, and The Villainess has some inventive fight work, though the storytelling is needlessly convoluted with all the flashbacks. Both are worth a look, but I make no claims to greatness for them.

Haven't seen any of the others.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Thanks, man!

A Villainess was the most appealing to me, but I'll make sure to watch Die Bad now.

War of the Worlds just ends terribly is all.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I haven't seen this since it was originally in the theaters. ...
    Same here and I'm pretty sure that's because there was SO much marketing for it that I didn't want to hear the word again.

Producer
    The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Breakneck one-thing-after-another adventure, in and out at just one hour. Creakily bombastic, thus very charming. All the set designs and special effects have a tangible quality that is highlighted by the swooping direction, which isn't afraid to go as grandiose and unsubtle as possible, making the whole thing full of pulpy atmosphere and fun action sequences. The big, stiff acting just adds to the charm. 7.5/10

Greetings (1968)

Curious to know what prompts De Palma to go from this early New Wave phase to the Hitchcock-inspired films that he'll forever be associated with. This has all the same loving cinephilia, sexual provocation, and (sometimes cringey) political frustration bundled in exhilarating pent-up energy of his next Hi, Mom!, but much, much rougher and too wandering. Still worth it for bits like De Niro curiously and seriously reading a book on voyeurism out loud. 5.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

De zee die denkt / The Sea That Thinks (Gert de Graaff, 2000) ****/****

Normally, a philosophical film about philosophy is definitely not my cup of tea. But, the context in which it's presented, about a screenwriter writing a screenplay about a screenwriter writing a screenplay for a film in which the screenwriter in question is the main actor, is brilliantly crafted by director Gert de Graaf (originally for Dutch television). The film integrates the themes of Eastern philosophies (mainly a school of Hindu philosophy, Advaita, and the teachings of nonduality) along with the heavy use of cinematic trickery in the form of optical illusions -- it's as it someone commissioned M.C. Escher to make a film about the creative process of a writer who is burdened by questions of purpose, perspective, and meaning.

It's truly a fascinating film that I can't recommend highly enough. I quote the following passage from a review because it contains the exact sentiment that I was telling myself while watching this visual feast for the senses:

One quick warning: anyone confused by mildly-clever pics like ADAPTATION or BEING JOHN MALKOVICH will suffer a cerebral hemorrhage during this delirious mindblower. As for myself, I was mesmerized from beginning to end.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Really fun moment tonight while watching Brigadoon for the first time. Gene Kelly starts singing "Almost Like Being in Love," and I'm like wait just a goddamn minute. That's the song that plays at the end of Groundhog Day. And then the whole idea of having one perfect day with someone thanks to a magical spell of some kind, well, now it makes twice as much sense that Groundhog Day ends on that song.

I'd always thought it ended that way due to the sort of quiet irony of ending a rom-com with a lyric about "almost" like being in love, similar to the way Murray adds "Let's rent to start" to his decision to move to Punxsutawney. But it also carries this extra connection to another fantasy romance.

Anyway, the flick's not bad, some fun dancing if a little arch, even for its day. Kelly convinces mostly, but when Brigadoon disappears behind him, his face doesn't stretch to a meaningful emotion beyond lemon-sucking. Mostly the production design stands out, with sumptuous matte paintings and larger-than-life costuming for the natives of the 'doon. It's hard to imagine a musical by Vincente Minelli that's better than Meet Me in St. Louis, and this one doesn't begin to match that one.

I think a much more melancholic conclusion would've improved the film, especially since the film demystifies the peace and joy of Brigadoon by introducing a character so despondent to leave that his frustration escalates into a death by the end of the film. That seems too important a story/thematic point to skip over for the feel-goodery (though it might also be a shameless pull from Jud in Oklahoma!). And the whole idea of Brigadoon feels like a big fat metaphor for the way we romanticize our pasts and give in to the tempting power of nostalgia. So maybe if it would've been framed as just that, as memories, the film would've been able to say a bit more or generate more emotion.

Sure, it's all upbeat wish fulfillment for the most part about gettin' hitched and happy and singing and dancing your way through those first few moments of falling in love (or something similar).

I just like bittersweet endings, and the film could've maybe pulled off one of the all-timers, with Kelly returning to the spot where Brigadoon was, and it's not there anymore. It's all gone, even with him wishing for it. And maybe on the walk back, he meets a new girl, one who looks strikingly similar to the girl he loved, but it's just a woman, and she asks why he's visiting this part of Scotland. He says he fell in love here once, but only for a day. She says that's luckier than most. Some people live a hundred years without knowing a day of love. Fanfare against starlight on the waters. Credits.

Watching Outlander reminded me of Brigadoon. It's like the anti-Brigadoon. It's also about a modern (1940's) person transported to an 18th century Scottish town, but unlike Brigadoon, the town is a cruel and barbaric place.

I actually find the whole premise of Brigadoon slightly offensive. It was conceived by New Yorkers with a foolish, idealized view of old Scotland. A minister asks God to protect the town by having it appear for one day every 100 years, and no one is ever allowed to leave, or the town will disappear forever. I actually felt a lot of sympathy for the guy who wanted to leave the town. Why shouldn't he be allowed to?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I actually felt a lot of sympathy for the guy who wanted to leave the town. Why shouldn't he be allowed to?
    Same! I thought this was going to lead to a more nuanced view of what Brigadoon is and what it means, and why it would've been better that Kelly doesn't return. It seems more prison than miracle by the end, since the people in the town have no say in the matter. Those poor people are doomed to frivolity and innocence for the rest of their lives. I haven't seen Outlander, but another film response might be something like Pleasantville, where the complexity of real life knocks the idyllic off its pedestal.

Producer
    Really took too long for me to realize you guys weren't talking about the Ron Moore show.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

To call back to the previous page, I've been watching the different cuts of E.T. for a podcast and just wanted to pop in and say that War of the Worlds is the perfect nightmare antithesis. Spielberg is a good artist god damn it

One of only three theaters in my city (Charlotte) that shows indie and foreign films is closing this Sunday. It's a six-screener that's been open since 1964 and currently operated by Regal. Closing apparently due to rising rent in the shopping center it's a part of, which is going through a renewal. The theater's nothing fancy but it's very reliable in terms of variety of movies and quality of presentation. It's really going to put a dent in the number of choices in town. Such a damn shame. I've gone twice since Friday when the closing was announced and am going again tonight, likely for the final time. Closing it out with The Disaster Artist.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Rewatched three films on Saturday while hungover and all three fell in my estimation: Forrest Gump (68 --> 63), SW: The Force Awakens (59 --> 55) and Walk Hard (70 --> 66). I think I'm getting crankier in my old age.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I think I'm getting crankier in my old age.
    It happens. Own it.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Rewatched three films on Saturday while hungover and all three fell in my estimation: Forrest Gump (68 --> 63), SW: The Force Awakens (59 --> 55) and Walk Hard (70 --> 66). I think I'm getting crankier in my old age.
    Hangovers get worse too.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It happens. Own it.
    The Last Jedi thread is proof that maybe I already am doing just that.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That Force Awakens score is too high.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Paprika is goddamn amazing, and yes Inception borrowed, stole from it, etc. Both own a bit to Dreamscape, however, and I love all three movies. Each brings something different to cinema.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Yep, agreed.

Love this movie poster I'm seeing everywhere here in Chicago

That's awesome. I don't think anyone had had that visual idea before.

That's awesome. I don't think anyone had had that visual idea before.
    Can't tell if sarcastic or not, but it still works.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

No, no, I was serious. I tried to think back if I had ever seen an afro made of stuff from the movie and I couldn't recall anything.