Page 2609 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1609210925092559259926072608260926102611261926592709 ... LastLast
Results 65,201 to 65,225 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Hahahaha.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Last Night was very good. Netflix recently added it to their DVD section - is this on Instant?

Watched the 1936 film Things to Come, an adaptation of H.G. Wells's sci fi story. Throughout the special effects are wonderfully clear and precise and there are several spots where I just marveled at the sophistication that developed between Metropolis and this one. The story is fairly standard science vs. warmongering, as it anticipates WW2 but as it keeps propelling itself into the future, the film interestingly begins suggesting that an appeal to science must contain within it the extremism of war just as stridently. It's a fascinating shift, becoming something other than the duality that it initially ministers to. It's likely more interesting for the special effects than a prediction of the future, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I've been trying to watch my language recently, but seriously, fuck you, Disney.

/goes off to sulk
    How did this end up in Disney's hands to begin with? They are the primary target of the original musical's critique. It's maddening.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Anyone seen films from this list and able to recommend some lesser known LGBTQ films for more than their political import?

Already seen Happy Together, Brokeback, The Kids are All Right, Bound, Boys Don't Cry, and Frida...
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Anyone seen films from this list and able to recommend some lesser known LGBTQ films for more than their political import?

Already seen Happy Together, Brokeback, The Kids are All Right, Bound, Boys Don't Cry, and Frida...
    I haven't seen The Birdcage but I did recently see La Cage aux folles, which was enjoyable (especially the campy gay houseboy). Poison is also good but nowhere near as great as Safe, Far From Heaven, and I'm Not There.

Incidentally, I've never really understood all the fuss about Brokeback Mountain, which isn't a significantly better movie than, say, The Bridges of Madison County. Also, Happy Together is minor Wong; I liked Boys Don't Cry when I saw it but have no desire to watch it again; The Hours is forgettable, undistinguished Oscar-bait; and The Kids Are All Right is just a terrible movie and liberals need to stop giving it a pass because it makes them feel broadminded to praise just a blandly PC movie.

In short, like all other lists of the best/essential/most important gay movies, this one makes the idiotic mistake of placing political correctness above form and style (which is presumably why the author makes no mention of the hilariously un-PC I Love You, Phillip Morris). And no Mulholland Dr.--what's up with that?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

My Beautiful Laundrette is great.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    My Beautiful Laundrette is great.
    Seconded. Also add High Art

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Incidentally, I've never really understood all the fuss about Brokeback Mountain, which isn't a significantly better movie than, say, The Bridges of Madison County.
    No.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Also, Happy Together is minor Wong.
    No.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

From that list, I think your best bets are Parting Glances and Friedkin's Boys in the Band. For international fare, check out the West African film, Dakan.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Is Kenneth Branagh considered a good director? I never really liked Henry V, but I assumed it was because I didn't really like the play. But I just watched Frankenstein and it was awful. Turn the fucking music down.

- - - - -
    And speaking of teh gay, really looking forward to this --

Two of my favorite actors.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Garage sale VHS wonderfuls:

The Euro cover for Megaville has the following tagline: "A World of Megadeals, Megabucks, and Meglomania." Heck yeah.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I just finished Felicia's Journey. I'm not sure how to feel about it overall, especially with how it ended. Still Bob Hoskins was fantastic (as usual) and the movie has some elements of Psycho and Peeping Tom. Simple complexity shouldn't be possible, right? Yet I think it fits here.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The Euro cover for Megaville has the following tagline: "A World of Megadeals, Megabucks, and Meglomania." Heck yeah.
    With Daniel J Travanti! :lol:

Great finds.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    From that list, I think your best bets are Parting Glances and Friedkin's Boys in the Band. For international fare, check out the West African film, Dakan.
    Watched Parting Glances off Netflix, which was wonderful. Nuanced and focused on character, tracking divergences of trust and emotion and love within the mid-'80s NY gay community. The film admirably tries to encompass more than the white, middle-class representation of gay life, but while that doesn't always receive the most depth, the distinction that writer/director Bill Sherwood gives to the different generations, charting the innocence of the 1970s but also the ways in which the college generation of the 1980s looks at coming out so differently and matter-of-factly. So frustrating to learn that Sherwood wasn't able to see any other project to fruition before dying of AIDs...

Read a review linking themes of this one with Araki's The Living End, so that one will happen in the next few months.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

From the "Another 25" list I've seen Transamerica and Keep the Lights On. The former is a formulaic road trip movie and not terribly interesting (pretty much exactly the kind of film baby doll was describing) but I really enjoyed Keep the Lights On. Ira Sachs has a new movie coming out, which Irish just posted the trailer for, so I figure I should at least mention Keep the Lights On and recommend it if you haven't seen it.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    Is Kenneth Branagh considered a good director? I never really liked Henry V, but I assumed it was because I didn't really like the play. But I just watched Frankenstein and it was awful. Turn the fucking music down.
    I quite liked his adaptations of Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Is anyone planning on watching Jaws this weekend?

Quote Quoting Mitty (view post)
    Is anyone planning on watching Jaws this weekend?
    Next weekend.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh, Jackie ...

Is that from Supercop? That's one of my favorite Jackie Chan movies.

I stumbled across the GIF on Reddit, I'm not sure. It does make me want to watch one of his films again. Haven't seen Project A in forever.

I just watched A2 the other day. It's not that good, except for the unnecessary hot pepper scene.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Next weekend.
    That's what I should have typed.