Page 2739 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1739223926392689272927372738273927402741274927892839 ... LastLast
Results 68,451 to 68,475 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Guy Maddin:
    Spicy
    Brand upon the Brain! (2006)
    The Forbidden Room (2015)
    The Green Fog (2017)
    The Heart of the World (2000)
    My Dad Is 100 Years Old (2005)
    My Winnipeg (2007)
    Night Mayor (2009)
    The Saddest Music in the World (2003)

Warm
    Bring Me the Head of Tim Horton (2015)
    Cowards Bend the Knee (2002)
    Keyhole (2011)
    Send Me to the 'lectric Chair (2009)

Mild
    Archangel (1990)
    Careful (1992)
    Sissy-Boy Slap Party (2004)
    Tales from the Gimli Hospital (1988)

I need to revisit Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary, which bored me when I saw it in 2003 (but then, so did Ordet). For some reason, I've never been able to get into his earlier, slower films, although I suspect that's my fault more than the films.
    Last edited by baby doll; 09-28-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Okay, so no Regal or Cinemark in my future, lol.
    It sucks because I am doing the Cinemark member thing which drastically cuts the ticket prices and it's my main theater. There are too many fucking previews as it is.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Is it a Canada / US thing?

Every movie I’ve ever been to in my entire life, the listed start time is actually when the commercials and previews play.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Ummm...I’ve never seen a movie in a theatre that didn’t play that way.
    Yeah wtf are they changing? This sounds like every theater trip since 1997. Isnt it public knowledge that the movie starts 10-30 minutes after the showtime (based on summer blockbusteryness)?

I ADORED the long string of trailers back in the day. Then we got internet and trailers dropped every day. Now I hate it in theater. Gimme 3, and let's move on, because god knows you got to show me 10 minutes of Coke trailers and "Arent theaters great? You should go to theaters." Ads. Hey fucko, I'm ALREADY FUCKING HERE.

Start time is when the previews start. Maybe a coke commercial directed by some high school kid, but that's it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I ADORED the long string of trailers back in the day. Then we got internet and trailers dropped every day. Now I hate it in theater. Gimme 3, and let's move on, because god knows you got to show me 10 minutes of Coke trailers and "Arent theaters great? You should go to theaters." Ads. Hey fucko, I'm ALREADY FUCKING HERE.
    Remember when people went and bought tickets for other movies just so they could watch the Star Wars Episode One trailer?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Remember when people went and bought tickets for other movies just so they could watch the Star Wars Episode One trailer?
    An old co-worker of mine used to manage a big theatre, and his first day at that job was opening day of Episode 1.

He said in all of his retail experience, all of the Black Fridays and Boxing Days and Christmas Eves he has worked, nothing even came close to the madness he experienced that day.
    Last edited by megladon8; 09-28-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Start time is when the previews start. Maybe a coke commercial directed by some high school kid, but that's it.
    Right. There are ads that run with the lights on in the time just before the start time. Start time is when the lights go down and previews begin. There's usually an ad for the theater chain combined with coca cola at the end of the previews. In total it's 15-20 minutes.

This is saying that now at the start time with the lights on, the ads will begin. Then there will be ads un between the previews. Then at the end of the previews, another long ad. Sounds like it will be 20-30 minutes worth. Sucks big hairy balls.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood then.

Yes, that is awful.

Oh were definitely closer 30 minutes around here. If you're saying that's now gonna be the start time for the preshow lights up ads, were going to 45.

At least for summer fare. For lesser pop films and indy stuff it's always shorter because they want your ass out of there.

You know, for an industry so hell bent on keeping things to a certain runtime so they can cram in as many showings per day, they sure must make some bank on ads. But half of them are for the theater you're already sitting in so I dont know who the hell this benefits.

- - - - -
    Ads and trailers are why I go during off-peak hours and arrive 20-25 minutes "late." I did this for "The Avengers," "Force Awakens," and "Blade Runner 2049" and it worked out beautifully. Saw those movies with a minimum of fuss and bullshit.

I used to enjoy movie trailers until they started showing 10 or 15 of them, back to back, and half of those repeats of what's already online.

I love the Korean theater experience because 99% of the time, everyone is quiet and it has assigned seating and comfortable theaters everywhere. (and the start time listed on the ticket used to always be the start of the actual movie, but I've noticed that creeping out, so that now a film listed to start at 9:30 will have the ads start at around 9:20 and the movie start playing at 9:35-40).

Except..... how they treat trailers sucks majorly. In the 15 minutes before the movie itself starts, the lights never go down, and about 3 or 4 short shitty versions of trailers (around 30 sec to maybe a minute each if you are lucky) are randomly inserted in between the millions of car and make up ads endorsed by some random KPop or drama star I don't care about.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Recent conversation between Tarantino and Scorsese, 2 of the biggest film nerds around:

https://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-A...Tarantino.aspx

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Sorry where’s The Shadow?

Deep Rising?
    The Shadow is ok at best. Deep Rising is...not good imo.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It's almost impossible to be late for a movie in America these days. Marcus Theatres must get paid a lot by Chevy because those lame Chevy ads appear before the previews even start.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Recent conversation between Tarantino and Scorsese, 2 of the biggest film nerds around:

https://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-A...Tarantino.aspx
    Wow, thank you for this. So incredibly awesome, I wonder how it had never happened before.

- - - - -

Quote Quoting NYFF
    In the annual special event On Cinema, New York Film Festival Director Kent Jones sits down with world-renowned filmmakers for in-depth talks about films from other directors that have influenced them, their discussion illustrated with film clips. In the first of two On Cinema events that the festival is pleased to present this year, Jones talked with Martin Scorsese, known as much for his work as a film historian as for his unparalleled, decades-spanning cinematic career.

Check out a list below of the films discussed:

0:00 - Bait (Hugo Haas)
    7:19 - Strange Fascination (Hugo Haas)
    16:43 - Hereditary (Ari Aster)
    25:14 - Archipelago (Joanna Hogg)
    I heard Aster was in the audience for this and didn't realize Scorsese was gonna talk about "Hereditary." Can you imagine?

I heard Aster was in the audience for this and didn't realize Scorsese was gonna talk about "Hereditary." Can you imagine?
    My head would fucking explode. I'd probably cry.

Didn't Aster have a friend who posted here? Can't remember who it was, but maybe he can ask him.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    That was cool listening to the Hereditary part.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    My head would fucking explode. I'd probably cry.

Didn't Aster have a friend who posted here? Can't remember who it was, but maybe he can ask him.
    Pretty sure it’s Pop Trash.

Edit: Yup - http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post591352

- - - - -
    Martin Scorsese, when asked about the MCU in the latest issue of Empire magazine:

Quote Quoting Marty
    I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.
    Cue 10,000 nerds on social media closely parsing what Scorsese meant by "cinema," exactly.

Martin Scorsese, when asked about the MCU in the latest issue of Empire magazine:

Cue 10,000 nerds on social media closely parsing what Scorsese meant by "cinema," exactly.
    DC comic book movies, obviously.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting James Gunn
    Martin Scorsese is one of my 5 favorite living filmmakers. I was outraged when people picketed The Last Temptation of Christ without having seen the film. I’m saddened that he’s now judging my films in the same way.
    https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...58383070105606

oh this just keeps getting better and better lol

RANK THE MCU BY CINEMA-NESS, MATCH-CUT.

NOW.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer