Page 2757 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1757225726572707274727552756275727582759276728072857 ... LastLast
Results 68,901 to 68,925 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

First R-rated movie in the theater was The Peacemaker. Went with my dad; need to revisit that movie some time. That was 7th grade. From then on I did a ton of sneaking into R-rated stuff. Once got caught in a lie about what movie I was seeing. Told my mom I was going to The Replacements but my friend and I snuck into The Cell instead. My mom saw my friend's mom at the store the next day and my friend had been honest about what movie we'd seen with her mom. So the moms chatted and my spot got blown up. Mom got home and asked me to tell her about the movie I'd seen. I knew what The Replacements was about so I rattled off the premise. Then my mom was like, "That's not what movie you saw, though." Whoops! Don't recall getting in too terrible amount of trouble though.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I begged to go to theater every weekend. It was a big deal when I would finally get to go. First R-Rated in theater was....Leprechan lol. Once I got my license I went damn near every weekend. Snuck into a lot of movies too. They used to be so lax that if you went to consessions and bought food you could just walk right in. They rarely checked for tickets.
    Yeah, some of the bigger films I've mentioned missing here, such as X-Men or The Matrix, was because my family just didn't go to the theater all the time when I was growing up. I remember when the Star Wars movies were being re-released in back to back weeks in the 90s, I went to A New Hope, then the next week, all my friends saw Empire, and the week after, they saw Jedi. My family didn't finally get around to Empire until over a month later. Jedi was already out of the theater before I could see that one.

But yeah, as soon as I hit high school and got my own car, that's when I started seeing just about every damn thing, lol.

My theater didn't just let us walk in, but back then, it was inside a mall, and they did not care at all if you brought food inside. We regularly grabbed food and drinks from the mall's food court and walked right in with them. Sucked when they finally cracked down on letting people bring in their own food.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You didn't sneak in like me?
    Not back then, no. Later on though, every once in a while I might sneak around to do double and triple features. X)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    First R-rated movie in the theater was The Peacemaker. Went with my dad; need to revisit that movie some time. That was 7th grade. From then on I did a ton of sneaking into R-rated stuff. Once got caught in a lie about what movie I was seeing. Told my mom I was going to The Replacements but my friend and I snuck into The Cell instead. My mom saw my friend's mom at the store the next day and my friend had been honest about what movie we'd seen with her mom. So the moms chatted and my spot got blown up. Mom got home and asked me to tell her about the movie I'd seen. I knew what The Replacements was about so I rattled off the premise. Then my mom was like, "That's not what movie you saw, though." Whoops! Don't recall getting in too terrible amount of trouble though.
    Great movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I used to use doublefeaturefinder in the day. Website was able to let you know what "second" movie you could go into after your first ended.

I had a lot of time on my hands.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The first R rated movie I saw on the big screen was Three Kings (1999). There is a small list of movies I have seen twice in theaters. I have never seen a movie more than twice on the big screen. I prefer to watch new stuff in theaters.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Agreed. I adore this film. Favorite Jack Ryan entry, favorite submarine movie.

This is one of my favorite shots:
    Lensed by Jan 'Speed' De Bont, it's a good looking film and pretty rewatchable. And isn't Basil Poledouris' Russian navy hymn just an extraordinary piece of film music?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The first R rated movie I saw on the big screen was Three Kings (1999). There is a small list of movies I have seen twice in theaters. I have never seen a movie more than twice on the big screen. I prefer to watch new stuff in theaters.
    I wonder what mine was. Probably Beverly Hills cop 2. 11 at the time. Three Kings rocks!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    First R rated movie in theaters: T2. My folks were in Canada fishing, and I lobbied all week for my aunt to take me (12) and my nine year old brother.
    Sorta same thing happened to me. My grandma, she's 91 now and doing well, was a huge film nut back in the day when her eyesight was not failing her. She took me and a friend to T2. Sans brother, but we rectified that a few years back when they released t2 in 3d.

Most times I saw a movie in theaters? Return of the king 3 times. Executive Decision also 3.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Lensed by Jan 'Speed' De Bont, it's a good looking film and pretty rewatchable. And isn't Basil Poledouris' Russian navy hymn just an extraordinary piece of film music?
    Its outstanding. Well damn, it's time to watch this flick again.

"It was PAGANINI. Pavorati is a tenor, Paganini was a composer."

First R-rated movie in theaters that I can recall: Saving Private Ryan, at age 14. Saw The Matrix, The Blair Witch Project and Sleepy Hollow in theaters the following year.

Think mine was Good Will Hunting at 14.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Think mine was Good Will Hunting at 14.
    That was teh first movie I went to that they re-released for the Oscars and I remember thinking: "Wait, movies can come back to the theaters?"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Saw Birds of Prey. It was quite shaggy and brassy, with some good action. It was better than Suicide Squad, but that's about it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Watched Lynch's Dune last night.

It's closer to the prequels than any decent sci film space opera.

Feels pretty close to being objectively bad.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I used to use doublefeaturefinder in the day. Website was able to let you know what "second" movie you could go into after your first ended.

I had a lot of time on my hands.
    That's awesome. I used to do the same thing, just spent a lot of time browsing the newspaper and scribbling timetables.

What is your all time favorite movie? Gun to your head. Don't make it boring with prattling on about not having one, or too many, or its silly to do such things (obviously it is), but right now, today, what is your top pick?

Mine is no surprise.
    <-----------------------

What is your all time favorite movie? Gun to your head. Don't make it boring with prattling on about not having one, or too many, or its silly to do such things (obviously it is), but right now, today, what is your top pick?

Mine is no surprise.
    <-----------------------

Oh nice. I have the Man With No Name trilogy on blu-ray, been sitting on my shelf unwatched for too long...
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-12-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Mine is no surprise.
    <-----------------------
    Had a whole thread discussing this topic not too long ago: http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...ie-of-All-Time

But yes, as with you, mine is similarly unsurprising.

I forgot about that. Oh well, just trying to drum up some convo.

Mine is no surprise.
    <-----------------------
    I swear there was no pun intended with "gun to your head".

Mine is no surprise.
    <-----------------------

- - - - -
    I forgot about that. Oh well, just trying to drum up some convo.
    Variations on firsts & favorites:

- What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it"?

- What's the first movie you ever walked out of?

- What's the first television show you ever saw that made you think television could be more than entertainment?

(I stole some of these from Chaz Ebert. Credit where credit due)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Variations on firsts & favorites:
    - What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it"?

- What's the first movie you ever walked out of?

- What's the first television show you ever saw that made you think television could be more than entertainment?