Page 2636 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1636213625362586262626342635263626372638264626862736 ... LastLast
Results 65,876 to 65,900 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Matheson was one of the greatest genre writers of the 20th century. There is no arguing this.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

The Incredible Shrinking Man by Matheson - one of my favorite films.

The Christopher Lee banner should have been kept up longer! I'm still down about his demise. What's the new one from?

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)

The Christopher Lee banner should have been kept up longer! I'm still down about his demise. What's the new one from?
    Mad Max: Fury Road

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Same here. The book is pretty fantastic too.

Kingdoms of Dreams and Madness was surprisingly sad and melancholy. To think that Miyazaki worked 6 days a week, 10 hours a day for pretty much his entire life, and then to hear him ask what the hell was the point of making movies, really makes me sad. There were multiple times that I thought it looked as though he regretted everything he did in his life. Even though he was living a creative dream, he was still working in a living nightmare of strict schedules and relentless tasks. Multiple times he asked himself why he was still drawing.

I wish the film were animated. That would have been an ultimate kind of irony.

The first half of Jaws is great - masterful. Once they get on the boat and start chasing the shark though, man, does it ever drag. And that stupid soundtrack during much of the second half...woof.

I don't think Duel ever reaches the greatness of the first half of Jaws, but it is a more consistent movie.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    The first half of Jaws is great - masterful. Once they get on the boat and start chasing the shark though, man, does it ever drag. And that stupid soundtrack during much of the second half...woof.
    Is this your actual opinion or are you trolling us at the moment?

I think Davis was just giving his best Irish impression.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The boat is my favorite parts of the movie... I mean, the comparing scars scene is perfect. And then of course there's the best improvised line in the history of cinema.

You can tell when DD is trolling because his reasoning is always so vague and exaggerated. Then you ask him specifics on why he feels that way (specific scenes) and he never responds.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Is this your actual opinion or are you trolling us at the moment?
    Serious.

Then what scene drags for you when they're on the boat?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Once they start chasing the shark. I also really, really hate the score to that sequence.

I prefer the slow tension of the first half.

This track:

My god, it completely kills the tension and mood, especially starting at 54 seconds onward. Just a terrible, out of place, overwrought piece of film music.

Okay preference is one thing but that's dragging for you? Upbeat music and a chase sequence?

It's an old fashioned score even for the film's release date but that doesn't make it bad.

I don't like it. /shrug

Incidentally, one other thing that I especially like about Duel is the music, which is like the missing link between Psycho and The Shining.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Trudno byt bogom / Hard to Be a God (Aleksey German, 2013)

I have long heard others sing German's praises. And I'll add my voice (film deserves a well-earned PRO). I admire the audacity of his vision, and the tenacity of his commitment.

If there was a small corner of cinema dedicated to the subject of "difficult films", Hard to Be a God would be that genre's poster child. I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that it's certainly not a film for everyone. I love the fact that German took a famous novel and, with the exception of a few lines of expository narration at the beginning, basically jettisoned the plot, instead delivering 177 minutes of astounding mise-en-scène. It's not an empty exercise in style, either. Enough plot was given to beg questions like: Did all of the scientists/observers adhere to their planet's laissez faire edict? What, if any, were the reasons for the transgressive devolution of Arkanar's population? Did an observer break their code to influence the struggle between the "Greys" and the "Blacks"? Was Don Rumata always insane, or was there a discernible tipping point for his descent into madness? For me, this movie was endlessly fascinating. The camerawork was nothing short of phenomenal. And I kinda dislike the two films that it most reminded me of: Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky (for the immersion into squalor) and Werner Herzog's Even Dwarfs Started Small (for the anarchy and chaos).

A divisive film? Absolutely. A select few cinephiles will view German's career-defining work as manna from heaven. Vile, putrid, filthy manna, to be sure. But manna all the same.

A masterpiece or endurance test? It's on Netflix Instant. Don't miss it.

Hard to be a God is on Netflix? Holy shit I didn't even notice. That's my evening sorted.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I'm a huge German fan but wasn't that sold on that one. Yes it looks great and there's a lot of interesting moments but overall I think it gets lost inside itself and becomes too repetitious. Khrustalyov, My Car! works better for me in that same vein. I felt like he nailed absurdism there whereas this one is basically the whole people throwing shit around thing from Holy Grail but without the humor.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Watched Aronofsky's Noah the other week. What a tone-deaf POS that was. What the hell were they thinking with that? Absolutely dreadful.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    That sucks. I found it a lot of fun, interesting riff on both canon and apocryphal scripture, especially its creation of fresh, ambiguous images like the snakeskin and the pulsing tree fruit. Ooh, and that one scene where they're listening to the dying people on the craggy peaks (an image that looks like it was pulled straight out of Dore) that leads into the recounting of the creation. Oh baby. Crowe was a pretty non-charismatic Noah, I'll give you that, but I kinda liked when he got all Jack Torrance on everybody. Mostly because it puts the whole idea of the Flood in stark relief - it's almost as though this madman's decided mankind should be wiped out!

I was hoping I'd really like it, because I like different takes on mythology, and am totally open to expanding the ideas of religious stories and doctrine. So while the film attempted to do this, it just missed the mark in its execution on every single shot it took.

Cool, thanks D. I may have to watch some classic noirs now. I'm woefully inexperienced with the genre.

That was a fun read! I like that every single movie has heavy drinking or smoking.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***