Page 2781 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 178122812681273127712779278027812782278327912831 ... LastLast
Results 69,501 to 69,525 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

That's very weird.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I dont have the ability to lock and unlock threads so it will need to be eric.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I hate to bring up Christopher Nolan again, but I have a question about The Prestige. I just rewatched it with my wife tonight because she had never seen it, while I only saw it once in the theaters when it was first released. I liked it a lot more this time around, but one thing bugged me throughout (not counting the overbearing score, and the streeeetccched out final scene that is exposition central and takes for ever to get to the obvious final money shot before the credits roll (I swear, I liked it). Next bit, in spoilers:

[
    ]
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Now I'm going to rewatch it.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Now I'm going to rewatch it.
    It's probably my second-favorite Nolan now - I was fully onboard the grimy pessimism this time around.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's probably my second-favorite Nolan now - I was fully onboard the grimy pessimism this time around.
    I remember loving it but I haven't watched it since the RT days.

Jen and I rewatched it earlier this year.

It packs the strongest and most genuine emotional punch of all of Nolan's films, IMO.

Needed more Bowie.

I haven't seen it recently enough to answer your question trans. I've been hankering to rewatch it though. I thought it was brilliant...and so sad. While I'm a DC fanboy and adore his Batman trilogy, his original work I always rank higher. You're right, Its not without issue, but I'm so struck (or maybe jaded by lack of originality elsewhere?) by his original (by that I mean not based on anything else) work and so happy to see something...NEW...that my soul is forced to give him props. I'd rather have a flawed original Nolan film than...most other films. His ideas are just so damn interesting even if the execution isn't always perfect.

[
    ]

The old man with the water jug still haunts me.
    Last edited by Skitch; 07-03-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Producer
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Love Kuroneko. Not quite the masterpiece that is Onibaba, but it is up there.
    Almost four months later, now I just saw and loved it!

Onibaba (1964) is favorite horror film I've seen in a while. Shindo plunges into the deep, dark recess of humanity during wartime -- full of greed, lust, and violence -- through non-stop foreboding compositions and pure id-driven characters (with help from three bracingly uninhibited performances). All of it create a thick, sustained atmosphere of menace so enveloping that most of it feels like watching a post-apocalyptic film. 9/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Making me want to rewatch.

It's been 10 years at the very least. Thinking more like 25 honestly.

Does anyone know the title of this violent movie from the 80's that I once saw on TV?

When I started watching it, there was, already in progress, a shootout at a power plant or some other industrial area. The fight seemed to be about a briefcase. The briefcase exchanged hands numerous times and almost everyone that got their hands on it got killed. In the end, a gang of criminals gets the briefcase and drives away. The rest of the movie follows the gang as they drive through the desert. I think they were being pursued by a detective or somebody.

There were at least two women in the gang. Late in the movie, one woman leaves the group and hitches a ride in the opposite direction. Then, she changes her mind and tells the driver to let her out, threatening to jump out of if he doesn't. I think it ends in another shootout at a power plant.

I'm sure it's a terrible movie, but I must know.

Hmm. I dont. But I would like to see this movie.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    Does anyone know the title of this violent movie from the 80's that I once saw on TV?

When I started watching it, there was, already in progress, a shootout at a power plant or some other industrial area. The fight seemed to be about a briefcase. The briefcase exchanged hands numerous times and almost everyone that got their hands on it got killed. In the end, a gang of criminals gets the briefcase and drives away. The rest of the movie follows the gang as they drive through the desert. I think they were being pursued by a detective or somebody.

There were at least two women in the gang. Late in the movie, one woman leaves the group and hitches a ride in the opposite direction. Then, she changes her mind and tells the driver to let her out, threatening to jump out of if he doesn't. I think it ends in another shootout at a power plant.

Now I'm going to research.

Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)

I think you dreamed it.

So, I started to watch The Magnificent Seven (1960). I hadn't seen it a very long time ago - and have seen Seven Samurai about 5 times since then... you know remakes can work if they have some original thought in them but this 1960 movie is one of the cheapest scripts I've ever seen filmed. It's total plagiarism with nothing original in it at all. It plays like a Reader's Digest version of the original. After about 20 minutes I stopped it and popped in Seven Samurai.

P.S. Just saw that Loveless was on Prime for free - check it out!
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 07-05-2020 at 06:11 AM.

Just remembered another sex movie. The Wayward Cloud. That's a really good movie.

Currently watching 365 Days. This is worse than 50 Shades of Grey.

I really liked Secretary.

I haven't seen Secretary, but I hear good things.

365 Days makes 50 Shades look like Last Tango In Paris. Nice scenery and beautiful people boning can't save it from being utter trash. It's every bit as ludicrous as the plot synopsis suggests. Easily one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Not fit to be seen by anyone, but I must admit I had a good laugh.

True Lies is, uh, pretty bad. James Cameron should never, ever try to do a comedy again. I didn’t like it much when I first saw it, and time hasn’t been kind. Those on Letterboxd who think this is one of the best action movies ever made are out of their minds. The whole fighter jet sequence is ludicrous. And not in a good way.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

True Lies is, uh, pretty bad. James Cameron should never, ever try to do a comedy again. I didn’t like it much when I first saw it, and time hasn’t been kind. Those on Letterboxd who think this is one of the best action movies ever made are out of their minds. The whole fighter jet sequence is ludicrous. And not in a good way.
    While I dig the movie, I don't think I would ever call it one of the best action movies ever made. I wouldn't argue you most of it, but I still like it. Def has some cringe. Tom Arnold is such a doofus in that flick it makes me laugh.

Hard disagree there. The comedy stuff is excellent and it's probably his best action film.

I watched True Lies maybe five years ago and forgot almost everything about it. I think there's a bridge at one point. Not a great movie.

Hard disagree there. The comedy stuff is excellent and it's probably his best action film.
    I laugh out loud every time Arnold kisses that pole. Its such a small moment but damn does it make me laugh.

Edit: Tom Arnold.
    Last edited by Skitch; 07-05-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Yeah, nah. It's his worst film by far, though I haven't seen Piranha 2. The comedy is terrible, and the action is boring as all hell. The only thing I liked about it was Jamie Lee Curtis.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Cameron, ranked:

1. The Terminator (1984)
    2. Titanic (1997)
    3. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
    4. True Lies (1994)
    5. Avatar (2009)

It's been too long since I've seen Aliens but I loved it in middle school.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World